Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
We all like LnC fanfic, but some of us like to read stories in other fandoms, too. Here are some of my favorites, and I'd like to see what other people recommend, too.

1. Star Wars: The Sith Academy : 181 vignettes about Darth Maul before The Phantom Menace. Most of them are funny. They frequently show Maul honing his rage on life's everyday annoyances (like being audited by the IRS, working a minimum wage job, learning to drive, babysitting, etc.). There are some nfic-type stories, but you have to click extra links and go through the page that asks you to confirm that you're at least 18, so they're easy to avoid if you don't want to read them.

2. Rambo Series: Rambo: Coming Home : Summary from FanFiction.net: 'You have family back home' 'Father, maybe, I dunno.' 'Aren't you curious to see how things might have changed back home' 'Gotta have a reason for that.' What awaits a warrior back home? I don't usually read stories in this fandom, but someone recommended it to me, and I'm glad I read it. John Rambo returns home at the end of Rambo IV to see his elderly father and the ranch where he grew up in Arizona. The story is very well-written and researched, and comprehensible even if you're not familiar with the movies.

3. The Hunger Games: Spectator . Summary from FanFiction.net: AU: Prim volunteers to take a pregnant Katniss' place in the Seventy Fourth Hunger Games. Peeta vows to make sure Prim comes home alive. Now all Katniss can do is watch and hope that the boy with the bread will keep his word and her sister makes it home. That is until the Capitol finds a way to mess everything up. (Main Story of "The Parts We Play" universe.) This is an engaging story in which Katniss is Reaped for the 74th Hunger Games and Prim volunteers to take her place in order to save Katniss's unborn baby. The author has been trying to update every second Sunday, but sometimes real life gets in the way (and we all know how that goes).

4. Titanic: The Unsinkable Rose Dawson . Summary from FanFiction.net: Rose's accounts of her life and the lives of her friends and family, before and the ten years or so after Titanic. Scenes in WWI, the Mexican Revolution, the beginning of prohibition in New York, among others. Sadly, this story was abandoned years ago, but it's written as a series of vignettes, so it's still enjoyable. It tells the stories of various characters from Titanic before and after the first and only voyage the ship made. It also includes some real people like Pancho Villa and Adolf Hitler.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Pirates of the Caribbean: Sons of Liberty . Summary from FanFiction.net: Jack Sparrow and company have decided to join the United States! Men in dresses, rum, chaos, mayhem, and did I mention rum? This story is set during the American Revolution. The characters from Pirates of the Caribbean are hired to make trouble with the British, and they do, frequently in very humorous ways.

6. Teen Titans: The Last Buffalo . Summary from FanFiction.net: Dick Grayson and the Titans try to deal with Garth's illness. This is a kind of deathfic and has a couple of naughty words, be warned. WHAM warning on this one. A horrible disease goes through the Atlantean populace.

7. Earth's Children: Durc . Summary from FanFiction.net: This is the story of Durc of Broud's Clan of the Cave Bear, from the time of his mother's departure to his reaching adulthood. After the novel The Clan of the Cave Bear ended, Ayla's half-Neanderthal son Durc was never seen again (and by the last book was pretty much forgotten). Many readers wanted to know what happened to him, so fanfic writers stepped in and wrote their own takes on his story. This one is especially good and very plausible.

8. Star Wars/Sherlock Holmes: Elementary, My Dear Obi-Wan . Summary from FanFiction.net: Life in London can get plenty interesting when Sherlock Holmes is hot on the trail of the dastardly Moriarty. Things take a bizarre turn, however, when Holmes and Watson intervene in a most unusual assassination attempt on a strangely dressed young man. Several Jedi, including Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, chase a villain to a primitive planet called Earth and a city called London. Sherlock Holmes helps them track the villain down. This is one of the best-written fanfics I've ever come across.

9. The Hunger Games: Knot Your Fingers Through Mine . Summary from FanFiction.net: AU. Peeta and Katniss and the American Civil War. A great deal of research went into this story. It takes the characters from The Hunger Games and places them in the Civil War era -- and it works. Everyone is kept in character and the research is outstanding.

10. Titanic/Gangs of New York: The Education of Rose Dawson, Parts I and II . Summary from Anne's Story Page: Part I: This story focuses on Rose and her new life in New York as soon as she alights from the Carpathia. Part II: Rose's New York story continues as she gets to know a pair of benefactors she met in the previous story and gains some knowledge of life in the Lower East Side. The author of this story did an incredible amount of research (and when he finds the slightest error, he rewrites that part and has me fix it). This story is very well-written, very well-researched, and the author grew up in New York, so he knows the area quite well.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
1) Jonny Quest. The Jealousy series by Debbie Kluge. A high school through college continuation of the series.

2) The Avengers. A Steed/Peel series that adds to the show and continues on after. Includes crossovers with Scarecrow ands Mrs. King and Bond. Many parts are M rated.

3)Batman. The Potatoverse where Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon adopt a boy called spud.

CatTales where Bruce and Selina start to talk to each other via a off Broadway production.

4) Harry Potter. Naked Quidditch Match . When a Magical game of Truth & Dare goes wrong, the Gryffindor Quidditch team must 'bare' up and face the consequences. Very funny if not quite canon.

Kerth
Kerth
I know some of you are fans of Castle (and the rest of you I shall try to convert... hyper Me! Me! )

4. Apologize Summary from ff.net: As Kate finds herself getting back on solid ground in her relationship with Castle, her world gets turned upside down by an unexpected visitor. As emotions run high and danger lurks will she and Castle be able to stand together and become stronger or will their secrets and lies eventually tear them apart? Set after 4x22 Undead Again. AU. Very alternate universe which I refuse to spoil (you'll find out as soon as you read the first chapter or two), but I *swear* to you, it's fantastic.

5. Moments in Time Summary from ff.net: Rick Castle travels back in time and meets Johanna Beckett in that fateful alley. This is the story of what happens after he saves her life. This is a series of sorts, but the entire set of stories written by this author is great. I'm still behind on it, but I'm definitely going to catch up to the end one day...

6. "Petruchio" on ff.net. This is an M rated story, so I won't link, but it's phenomenally well done. Title inspired (probably the story as well in parts?) by Taming of the Shrew. And it's hot. Extremely so.

7. Agent Rodgers, FBI Summary from ff.net: After Alexis' untimely death from leukemia, Rick puts away his crime novels and joins the FBI. After a friend's deadly brush with the Dragon, he vows to solve his murder and bring the perpetrator to justice. To do it he will need the help of NYPD Detective Kate Beckett. Starts fairly dark, but as time goes on, it gets lighter and hey, I love the angst (as some of you know). Reminded me in some ways of Above Alt Else , in the attitude comparison between Clark/Rick and Lois/Beckett. The author (Shutterbug5269) has gone on to write a prequel and sequel to this, and has many other great stories as well. Really good writer there, including some WAFFy stuff.

8. There are *two* wonderful, heart-wrenching, angst-ridden stories on ff.net about Castle getting a diagnosis of some kind. There's "Patient" by Stephxy (which I just realized was rated M so I unlinked it, but it's mostly for some language and a little bit of sexiness) and The World You Love by caskettinacastle. If you're ever looking for a good cry, or a good pain in your chest, these are absolutely it. And then, when you've reached the end, you can spam the author with pm's and reviews about how these need to be finished. And then you can throw tomatoes at me for having recommended these in the first place. peep

9. And in general, I find that you can't go wrong with any stories written by Dmarx. Lots of good stuff, ranging across multiple genres.

10. Young Justice fanfiction on ff.net Hero Summary: Lex Luthor is finally going to pay for his crimes, all thanks to a mild mannered reporter. Superboy's job is easy enough: keep the man who put Luthor in prison safe from Luthor's wrath. There's just one thing no one's told Conner. A coming of age story from the AnonMeme. Part of a series, but I originally read this one before reading any of the others. It's a great exploration of a different kind of Superman and how his relationship to Conner develops from nothing into something. Really well done, and I've barely seen any YJ, so it's not required knowledge. Not anything besides knowing there's a JL and who's in it. :p

11. Superman Revelations Summary from ff.net: When an accident forces Clark to reveal his identity to the world the Kents' lives will never be the same again. Future-fic. Great reveal story, though it's not for MoS 'verse. Author is another great writer-- also does tons of Downton Abbey fics, but I've never had the chance to pursue them personally.

#crawlingbacktomyholedontyellatme

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Mouse,

Don't you have studying to do?

wink

Shallowford
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Mouse posted:
I know some of you are fans of Castle (and the rest of you I shall try to convert... ), but the only fanfics really are on ff.net, but not organized all too well. So this thread might be an interesting way to keep tabs on some good ones. Here's a few of my faves (I'll come back with more, I'm sure).
Yes, I would be one of the fans you have converted to Castle thumbsup ...

Good luck this semester!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The gentle readers know that I'm a big fan of the Castle TV series from the couple of crossovers I've written for these boards.

I have all the DVD sets and find myself rewatching old episodes frequently.

I got into the Castle fanfiction a few months ago and have spent a lot of time reading some of the vast amount of stuff there is over at fanfiction.net.

It's a shame that because of their sheer size that site is a bit hard to navigate. I've written a couple of things for a friend who is also into the series but I wouldn't have a clue as to how I might do any posting on that behemoth.

I've read a lot of Castle stuff over there but it would be hard for me to recomend anything specific because I don't really keep up with the writers, I just sample, sample, sample.

One way to check them out though is to go through the filters. You can focus on what you want to read by setting some parameters as to what you would prefer to read.

On second thought I can recommend the Castle/Dresden Files crossovers (there are only 4) to anyone who is familiar with the Dresden books. I especially liked the one where Karin Murphy was taken to a Beckett/Castle interrogation because she was found by a dead body.

Tank (who can't recommend the Castle TV series enough to anyone who enjoyed Lois and Clark)

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank posted:
Tank (who can't recommend the Castle TV series enough to anyone who enjoyed Lois and Clark)
Exactly why I had to check Castle out--after seeing it mentioned here a few times, I figured it must have something Lois & Clark-like kind of going for it...I probably haven't been this in to a show since Lois & Clark actually clap

Thanks for the info Tank smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
11. [b]Superman Revelations Summary from ff.net: When an accident forces Clark to reveal his identity to the world the Kents' lives will never be the same again. Future-fic. Great reveal story, though it's not for MoS 'verse. Author is another great writer-- also does tons of Downton Abbey fics, but I've never had the chance to pursue them personally.

#crawlingbacktomyholedontyellatme [/b]
Repmetsyrrah's story! I used to interact with her on Livejournal when she was active there. Unfortunately I haven't heard whether she's going to finish out that story.

I would also like to add a recommendation for the Superman Returns/Reeveverse (especially because she/they are unlikely to post here.) Kala Lane-Kent's Reeve interpretations are really awesome. Little Secrets, is their Superman Returns re-write with Reeve (and a bit Routh) and Kidder (instead of Bosworth) for the interpretations when it comes to characterization.
This is their fanfiction.net page

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A Castle AU I like. Of Finding Innocence . When Kate Beckett went to get her book signed by Richard Castle, she never imagined that she'd end up meeting his daughter, much less offering to babysit for the afternoon. AU.

That's Officer Beckett and Alexis is seven.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks to those who posted Castle fic recs... I've adored the show since the beginning, and it has been my favorite on TV for a while. However, I find myself a bit overwhelmed in looking for fic on fanfic.net, and for some reason, never seem to find the good ones! I'm a waffy, a bit angsty, but overall romantic kinda gal (see my L&C fic over the years!), so if anyone has a good read, let me know!

Tracey (who always seems to come back to these boards every now and then... one can never completely stay away smile )

Kerth
Kerth
Just so everybody's aware, GeekMom , who is another author on Castle's ff.net that I love and forgot to mention ("The Castle Wall" I did mention, and now has a sequel!), has decided to start a forum called the Castle Fic of the Week Club . I'm hoping that it gets up and going pretty fast, but the more the merrier! Get word around and hopefully we'll start to have a good running list of Castle fics to read too! clap

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A mega crossover. The League of Extraordinary Women

Hermione Granger started it all when she received that prophecy made by Sibyl Trelawney. She found a team of six other women and faced a hellgoddess trying to invade her world. But afterward, people went home with new knowledge.

Harry Potter/Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Stargate/Six Million Dollar Woman/Batman/The Secret World of Alex Mack

A nice 135K words, with a sequel that is 6 times as long and not finished yet (2 chapters a week posted).

THE GATES WILL OPEN. THE CREATURES WILL BE FREED. THE MISTRESS D’LAZZA WILL RELEASE HER ARMIES ONTO THE WORLD. NO MAN OF WOMAN BORN MAY STOP HER. ONLY THE ONE OF THE THREE, AURUM BUT NOT LILY, BROWN BUT NOT RED, MAY SUCCEED. THE ONE MUST SEEK THE SIX. THE MISTRESS OF THE GATES, NOT A MINOR BUT MAJOR. THE TREE OF RED WHO IS NO LONGER BLACK. THE CHOSEN ONE, SISTER OF SUNRISE, WHO HAS CHOSEN ALL. THE FELINE WHO HAS TURNED TAIL. ONCE WHOLE NOW PART NOT LEGS NOR ARM NOR EAR. NOT A DIETER BUT FROM DIET TO DIRECT. ONLY THE SEVEN MAY TRIUMPH. AND IN TRIUMPH NOT ALL WILL SURVIVE.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Some movieverse Ironman fanfic. http://vrtrakowski.4t.com/IronMan.html
They are Tony/Pepper and get the characters I think. Palmer's Kiss has them get accidently engaged in an amusing way.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Mouserocks
I know some of you are fans of Castle (and the rest of you I shall try to convert... hyper Me! Me! )

4. Apologize Summary from ff.net: As Kate finds herself getting back on solid ground in her relationship with Castle, her world gets turned upside down by an unexpected visitor. As emotions run high and danger lurks will she and Castle be able to stand together and become stronger or will their secrets and lies eventually tear them apart? Set after 4x22 Undead Again. AU. Very alternate universe which I refuse to spoil (you'll find out as soon as you read the first chapter or two), but I *swear* to you, it's fantastic.

5. Moments in Time Summary from ff.net: Rick Castle travels back in time and meets Johanna Beckett in that fateful alley. This is the story of what happens after he saves her life. This is a series of sorts, but the entire set of stories written by this author is great. I'm still behind on it, but I'm definitely going to catch up to the end one day...

6. "Petruchio" on ff.net. This is an M rated story, so I won't link, but it's phenomenally well done. Title inspired (probably the story as well in parts?) by Taming of the Shrew. And it's hot. Extremely so.

7. Agent Rodgers, FBI Summary from ff.net: After Alexis' untimely death from leukemia, Rick puts away his crime novels and joins the FBI. After a friend's deadly brush with the Dragon, he vows to solve his murder and bring the perpetrator to justice. To do it he will need the help of NYPD Detective Kate Beckett. Starts fairly dark, but as time goes on, it gets lighter and hey, I love the angst (as some of you know). Reminded me in some ways of Above Alt Else , in the attitude comparison between Clark/Rick and Lois/Beckett. The author (Shutterbug5269) has gone on to write a prequel and sequel to this, and has many other great stories as well. Really good writer there, including some WAFFy stuff.

8. There are *two* wonderful, heart-wrenching, angst-ridden stories on ff.net about Castle getting a diagnosis of some kind. There's "Patient" by Stephxy (which I just realized was rated M so I unlinked it, but it's mostly for some language and a little bit of sexiness) and The World You Love by caskettinacastle. If you're ever looking for a good cry, or a good pain in your chest, these are absolutely it. And then, when you've reached the end, you can spam the author with pm's and reviews about how these need to be finished. And then you can throw tomatoes at me for having recommended these in the first place. peep

9. And in general, I find that you can't go wrong with any stories written by Dmarx. Lots of good stuff, ranging across multiple genres.
Thanks for the Castle recs!! I just recently got into the series, so I will check out these fics! smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I just read this one on FanFiction.net. It's pretty funny.

Superfriends: Deck the Hall of Doom With Boughs of Holly: It's that time of year again and the Legion of Doom is having their annual Christmas party. The best gift of all is the gift of giving but it seems that each member receives a gift that they'd like to return.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
This doesn't exactly qualify as fanfic, but it is worth recommending.

Apparently "Superman and the Secret Planet" was an unfilmed script written for George Reeves' Superman. Randy Garrett turned it into a comic book, available here. He did a brilliant job of capturing the actors' expressions, and the verbiage (I'm not sure how much was taken straight from the script and how much he adapted) was very true to the original series; it was easy to imagine the actors saying the lines. If you liked the Reeves' series, you'll want to read this story.

Joy,
Lynn

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Regarding Castle fanfic; I've continued to read a lot of it in recent months, especially to cover the show's various hiatuses.

I can recommend most of the stories written by Cheerful Chemist. The writer has a good sense of story telling yet really likes to focus on the relationship building aspects.

Also there is an ongoing story called "Hi Dad", sorry I don't remember the writer, which allows us to see the growth of the Caskett relationship through interactions between Kate and her father. The writer has followed the couple from the series beginning to currently up to the beginning of this season. We see Kate talking to her father about Castle and we see him realizing how her attitude changes over the years. It's a fun series of one shot shorts.

Tank (who might just contribute to the Castle universe someday if he ever figures out how to get onto fanfic.net)

Kerth
Kerth
Most of these are crossovers:

Bats and Wizards - a pair of neat short stories crossing the Batman and Young Wizards (YA fiction) universes.

A Widow's Tale - series of Avengers/Stargate Atlantis crossover stories in which Natasha Romanoff is secretly John Sheppard's mother. WIP, about 340k words over several stories.

The Shield Agent's Wife - series of Avengers stories about Agent Phil Coulson's relationship with the cellist briefly mentioned in The Avengers. Not very canon compliant for Agents of SHIELD, especially their story about this character, but a lot of fun.

Eighth Dimension And Beyond - There isn't much Buckaroo Banzai fanfic. This series is about the best of it, crossovers with Eureka, Back to the Future, and Firefly.

Stars, Rain, Sun, Moon - another Young Wizards crossover series (one long story and two shorts), this time with The Avengers.

Elementary, My Dear Sherlock (WIP) - Sherlock/Elementary crossover in which John Watson and Jane Watson somehow find themselves in the wrong universes.

By Any Other Name - Avengers/Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters crossover - Hansel and Clint Barton (both played by Jeremy Renner) are magically mind-swapped. Adult themes!

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Tank
Regarding Castle fanfic; I've continued to read a lot of it in recent months, especially to cover the show's various hiatuses.

I can recommend most of the stories written by Cheerful Chemist. The writer has a good sense of story telling yet really likes to focus on the relationship building aspects.

Also there is an ongoing story called "Hi Dad", sorry I don't remember the writer, which allows us to see the growth of the Caskett relationship through interactions between Kate and her father. The writer has followed the couple from the series beginning to currently up to the beginning of this season. We see Kate talking to her father about Castle and we see him realizing how her attitude changes over the years. It's a fun series of one shot shorts.

Tank (who might just contribute to the Castle universe someday if he ever figures out how to get onto fanfic.net)

OK, I am officially blaming you as an enabler help thumbsup .

I read the "Hi Dad" series and now have completed 5 mid length stories over there. I am currently in the middle of two other 20-50 chapter stories. Morgana is going to shoot me because I am supposed to be betaing a couple of her stories peep .

I can not seem to help myself, the light-hearted banter reminds me so much of the early LnC fanfics and why I got started reading this stuff in the first place. It also seems to be overall a much less dark place over there, which is fine by me.

Thanks (I think rotflol )

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 01/23/15 11:42 AM. Reason: Better paragraph breaks, I hate long multi-topic paragraphs...

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard