Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I have to say... I'm pretty disappointed. I had heard from EVERYWHERE really great reviews for this movie so maybe I had my hopes up too high.

I get that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of unanswered questions but this movie just made me CRAZY with too much ambiguity.

Here's my beef:
(1) Very few characters were developed enough for me to care about. I actually said "yay!" when Charlize Theron's character died.

(2) Did they really need to cast Guy Pearce for the old guy? Why not a real old guy? That was a bit ridiculous.

(3) What was the little snake thing on the crashed space ship that killed that one dude? Part of the 'engineer's' alieness or something they made?

(4) How come that red headed dude, when he fell in the black goo, ended up becoming some weird humanoid hybrid thing with super powers but when Holloway was exposed to it, his head was gonna explode (like the other 'engineer's who were exposed to it).

(5) Was it just a fluke that Shaw got pregnant with the spider alien from an infected person or was that what the engineers had planned? Obviously they knew the spider thing would lay an actual alien in someone because they had a picture of what the alien looked like up on the wall in their ship. Soooo, is that the only way to actually get an alien? Have sex with an infected person to make a spider to lay an egg in another person to come out as an alien? Does it depend on the level of infection on whether they can even make a spider thing? (little infected, head exploding infected, or humanoid super-power infected). Ridiculous!

(6) Why did David infect Holloway in the 1st place? Could not figure out his motives on anything. I get that he felt a little bitter about not being treated human or something but still... at least with Ash in Alien we knew what his motives were by the end!

(7) Why did the 'engineer' kill himself at the very beginning? He was obviously in Scotland doing those drawings that Shaw and Holloway found later on and his space ship was right there. Why not just do the drawings and jump back on your ship.

(8) And c'mon, the 'engineers' are like God in this movie. They can make all these species but they can't just annihilate the humans themselves... they have to make an entire NEW species to wipe out the ones they don't like. AND AND leave a bunch of clues on Earth in the hopes that someday, one of the humans will come looking for them and they can infect them with the Alien sperm then.

(9) Why did the spider thing get humongous? Was it the decon she did in the medical device?

(10) With all the stupidity I saw in this movie, the LEAST they could have done is connect the few small things to Alien. Like when the Nostromo crew go on the Alien space craft and see the 'engineer' skeleton in the driver seat of the space ship, with something obviously having blown out of his chest. In Prometheus, the 'engineer' dies on the life boat, not on his ship.

(11) Who sent off the warning/SOS that the Nostromo intercepts in Alien? I get that Ripley finds out later it was a warning and not an SOS like The Company had told them but the warning was in an alien language so it can't be the message that Shaw left at the very end about going to find their origins.

Ugh. SO annoying! Let's see, what did I like about the movie?

(1) I actually liked Shaw by the end of the movie.
(2) Gore is always cool.
(3) That's it.

If someone has more insight into this movie than me or read some back story or knows Ridley Scott personally, please help answer these questions for me so I don't hate this movie. I LOVE the Aliens franchise!!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I agree with all of the above. The opening scene didn't make any sense to me at all, either.

I actually found the "engineers" more creepy than the aliens. (BTW, if they're a DNA "match" then why are they ten feet tall?)

I have to assume the engineers were creating the aliens to battle the predators, otherwise AVP doesn't make any sense. But then, why are the predators using Earth as a training ground? And why don't any two of the aliens look like each other anyway?

And, did anyone learn anything from the epidemics that wiped out the Incas, Taino, Plains Indians and those people in "Medicine Man", not to mention the bubonic plague and the 1918 influenza? Viruses bad. Strange viruses really bad. Yeah, I'll take my helmet off on a planet that we landed on 15 minutes ago. Sure.

Shallowford
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So I talked to someone that made a couple of suggestions for my annoyances...

(1) About the opening scene... he thought they were implying that's how the engineers made the humans - by drinking some stuff that broke down their DNA, etc. Maybe trying to explain revolution or something from a tiny little amoeba. It's a stretch but could explain why they were really focusing on the DNA in the opening sequence and why he didn't just get back on his ship.

(2) About the engineer not dying in his space ship in the chair where we see him in Alien when the Nostromo crew enters... he made a point that it was a different planet. I did notice at the beginning that it said the planet was LV-223, not LV-426 like where the Nostromo landed. He thinks that there were multiple planets that they were doing these 'experiments' on and multiple ships. Or maybe LV-426 is the home planet or something. It is still kind of dumb that they would make a prequel for a movie franchise that happens on a completely different planet than the other movies and doesn't connect the two at all. But the different planet names does make me wonder...

All my other complaints still stand though. Maybe there will be a Prometheus 2 that will explain even more and suck even less!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard