Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I just finished watching a Netflix DVD of "Stranger than Fiction" and would highly recommend it. I don't want to say very much about it for fear of spoilers. All I'll say is that it is a quirky movie that will especially appeal to authors and people who are into literature. It plays fast and loose with the fourth wall, and not only is the phrase "third person omniscient" actually used in the movie, a plot point actually hinges on it.

The main character is played by Will Farrell. Other actors in prominent roles are Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Queen Latifah.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, yes, that's a great movie. And for all those people who don't like Will Farrel, it's not his typical - he's an idiot - sort of movie. (Kind of like how Adam Sandler movies when he's not in charge of production - "Spanglish" and "50 First Dates" - are good). To appreciate the nauances, it's helps to be a big reader, or even better, a writer. wink thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I don't think I've seen Will Farrell in anything since M*A*S*H; I hadn't realized, therefore, that having him in the movie might have been considered a negative. Thanks for the clarification, Virginia.

Joy,
Lynn

edit: I just realized that I had been confusing Will Ferrell (in this movie) with a combination of Mike Farrell's name and Wayne Rogers' appearance (both in M*A*S*H). Oops. blush

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Mike Farrell was on M*A*S*M. Will Farrell usually does movies where he acts like an idiot,like 'ELF'.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Yep. I realized after my original post that Mike Farrell played BJ Hunnicutt and Wayne Rogers played Trapper John. I had apparently conflated the two in my mind and then juxtaposed them with Will Ferrell.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
There is more than one movie titled 'Stranger than Fiction'.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Will Farrell usually does movies where he acts like an idiot,like 'ELF'
Aha! I couldn't for the life of me picture who WF was - my brain kept giving me Will Smith instead and wouldn't be dissuaded. :rolleyes:

But now I have him. Gotcha.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard