Lois & Clark Forums
I just finished watching a Netflix DVD of "Stranger than Fiction" and would highly recommend it. I don't want to say very much about it for fear of spoilers. All I'll say is that it is a quirky movie that will especially appeal to authors and people who are into literature. It plays fast and loose with the fourth wall, and not only is the phrase "third person omniscient" actually used in the movie, a plot point actually hinges on it.

The main character is played by Will Farrell. Other actors in prominent roles are Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Queen Latifah.

Joy,
Lynn
Oh, yes, that's a great movie. And for all those people who don't like Will Farrel, it's not his typical - he's an idiot - sort of movie. (Kind of like how Adam Sandler movies when he's not in charge of production - "Spanglish" and "50 First Dates" - are good). To appreciate the nauances, it's helps to be a big reader, or even better, a writer. wink thumbsup
I don't think I've seen Will Farrell in anything since M*A*S*H; I hadn't realized, therefore, that having him in the movie might have been considered a negative. Thanks for the clarification, Virginia.

Joy,
Lynn

edit: I just realized that I had been confusing Will Ferrell (in this movie) with a combination of Mike Farrell's name and Wayne Rogers' appearance (both in M*A*S*H). Oops. blush
Posted By: suez Re: Movie recommendation: Stranger than Fiction - 05/20/12 05:34 AM
Mike Farrell was on M*A*S*M. Will Farrell usually does movies where he acts like an idiot,like 'ELF'.
Yep. I realized after my original post that Mike Farrell played BJ Hunnicutt and Wayne Rogers played Trapper John. I had apparently conflated the two in my mind and then juxtaposed them with Will Ferrell.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: suez Re: Movie recommendation: Stranger than Fiction - 05/20/12 11:49 AM
There is more than one movie titled 'Stranger than Fiction'.
Will Farrell usually does movies where he acts like an idiot,like 'ELF'
Aha! I couldn't for the life of me picture who WF was - my brain kept giving me Will Smith instead and wouldn't be dissuaded. :rolleyes:

But now I have him. Gotcha.

LabRat smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards