Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#225677 01/07/12 07:26 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I always find it so strange when someone says they don't use social networking sites (like twitter & facebook)

As long as I can remember, I've used these sites. It started with Myspace, then when Facebook first came out, it was super exclusive and really nothing like it is now (no games etc.) You had to be invited by someone who was already a member, and your 'network' had to be a school. Then Twitter came out and for a long time it was really low-man on the totem pole, but now it's kind of like this public forum where you can connect with people without all of the bulk that Facebook has become.

I'm basically addicted to Twitter now, and was previously addicted to both Myspace and Facebook. Anyone else on this crazy interwebz bandwagon?

.talk nerdy to me.
#225678 01/07/12 07:52 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was one of those people who resisted social networking for a long time. My husband finally got me to join Myspace when were were engaged. So I guess I joined in early 2006, since we were engaged for a few months before I finally caved. I don't remember if Facebook was as exclusive back then, but I resisted anyway. I hate jumping on the "trendy" bandwagon. But still, I enjoyed Myspace. Then suddenly, one day Myspace died for all of my friends. It was either join Facebook or lose contact with people. So I caved and joined Facebook.

Twitter I resisted for a very, very long time. I finally joined two or three months ago. But I don't use it to social network, per se. I really only use it to follow some celebs (like Bruce Campbell, who I adore) and some of my favorite Food Network stars (like Robert Irvine). I don't just follow random people. About the only normal person I follow is my husband, and one or two friends.

I'll admit to being addicted to Facebook. I've actually come to really like being able to keep in contact with various former classmates. And I've been able to reconnect with some old high school friends that I had lost track of years ago.

I find it stranger when people refuse to get smartphones. laugh My mom is one of those people. I got my first smartphone (and current one!) just over a year ago and I will NEVER go back to a regular cellphone again! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#225679 01/08/12 05:41 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Haha! I agree with the smartphone thing! My mom also had a cheap flip phone. I had my first cell phone ten years ago (at 13) and I went through like hand me down phones from my older sisters. Then once I turned 18 I got a smartphone (Htc s720) then a year later I bought a blackberry curve 8330, then a year later I upgraded to blackberry bold 9700, and I just got the iPhone 4g last month. I love it the best.

.talk nerdy to me.
#225680 01/08/12 06:17 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'll confess I've never understood the social networking craze. I only joined Twitter because the Archive did and so felt obliged. <G> But I'll admit that one of my guilty pleasures these days is following a very small group of favourite celebs.

There are only two that I have always followed consistently: Bruce Campbell, funnily enough, is one. goofy This is partly because I very rarely go anywhere, due to illness and, to be honest, preference. As a result I barely know how to use the thing and it's forever running down to zero battery because I forget to charge it up. blush

Undoubtedly, if I was still working or going out on a regular basis it would be different and I've no doubt that in those circumstances I'd find it useful. But I hardly use the thing. It is very handy for texting Stuart to bring me in Chinese every now and then though. goofy

Semi-Luddite LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#225681 01/08/12 07:17 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Labby - Bruce is the *reason* why I finally broke and joined Twitter. I read a few days later that he'd broken the news that the Evil Dead remake is definitely happening from his Twitter account. That's when I knew that I had to join - even if only to follow him. Of course, I follow more than just him...

But I think we need to add message boards under the social networking heading. I know most people only think of Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter. But through message boards, my social network has vastly increased to include wonderful friends around the globe. I've got all of you here on this board, Zoom's boards, 2 different Xena boards, and a Lion King board that I only pop into occassionally. And I used to have another Xena board, a Hercules one, and a Jack of All Trades one, but those have since shut down.

And if we include message boards into the mix, consider me an incurable addict (and happy to be so!).

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#225682 01/08/12 08:41 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Haha yea, if we talk about message boards and forums being social networking (which I'm sure they are, but just less known), I've been addicted long before I was ever on Myspace! I was doing Charmed RPG on a message board in 7th or 8th grade! lol *nerdface* Oh, and I was on Napster chat and yahoo chat all the time (when they had the user-made rooms). I did the mIIrc thingy once, but someone dropped the c-bomb and my brother wouldn't let me go back on.

I'm like LabRat though in the sense that I don't go out much. When I do, I almost always have my laptop or my smartphone, so I can check in on things.

I tweet A LOT ... mostly pointless stuff, pictures of my dog in funny outfits, and all my funky nail designs. My facebook has been overtaken with family members and old school friends, so I really only post pictures of events like Christmas and what not on there.

.talk nerdy to me.
#225683 01/08/12 10:20 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
But I think we need to add message boards under the social networking heading.
That's a very good point. And irc chats, I suppose.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#225684 01/08/12 10:39 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LabRat:
But I think we need to add message boards under the social networking heading.
That's a very good point. And irc chats, I suppose.

LabRat smile
IRC chats. Yeah, I forgot about those. Yeah, we should probably add those under the heading too.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#225685 01/08/12 10:42 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Haha yea, if we talk about message boards and forums being social networking (which I'm sure they are, but just less known), I've been addicted long before I was ever on Myspace!
Oh me too. I was doing the AOL chat room thing for Xena as far back as 1996, when chat rooms were the place to be at night. I was a freshman in high school at the time, and we'd just gotten the internet at home. Then the allure of that wore off once I found the Studios USA message boards (no longer in existance) and my love affair with message boards began!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#225686 01/08/12 11:12 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I try to use social networks, but I'm not sure they work for me. I feel too awkward writing either in message boards (that's why I don't post regularly, incidentally) or in chat boxes. The only exceptions I make are work related. Otherwise I experience a mild anxiety when one of my friends tries to start a conversation with me through facebook chat (when is it polite to log off?, with how many people can you chat with at the same time without taking too long to answer to each one? Can I write like I speak? If I'm ironic will the other person get it or just take me seriously?- I definitely don't know the protocol :p ).

But I admit that facebook, for instance, allowed me to reconnect with friends I hadn't seen or known of for over ten years, and helps me knowing how my friends and family that live abroad are.

Still, my first experience was with hi5. I quit it because it took ages to load the pages, and there were too many strangers asking me for friendship (mostly advertisers, but also some strange looking men). Then MSN, because it was a good work tool when it came to file transfers, but I haven't used it in over two years - email works just fine right now.
I still haven't understood the appeal of twitter and myspace. Sooo, it's facebook and these message boards. Pretty lame. goofy

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#225687 01/08/12 12:40 PM
Kerth
Kerth
My stance on social networking is... complicated. I love technology. But I've never gotten into Myspace, Facebook, Twitter or even chatrooms- which makes me a bit of an oddball teenager. huh Part of it could be that I had very careful parents growing up, the other part could be that I'm entirely too paranoid. But even now, I don't even have a FB. Although that's going to have to change soon for networking purposes (both for my school and jobs in the future). Then again, I'm also obsessive-compulsive, so I hesitate to get involved in anything for fear of it eating me alive and taking away all my time and sleep...

... hence these message boards... laugh

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#225688 01/08/12 01:27 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Otherwise I experience a mild anxiety when one of my friends tries to start a conversation with me through facebook chat (when is it polite to log off?
There is actually a way to turn yourself offline on the chat, so they can't even start a chat convo with you. If you need help figuring it out, I'll do a screen shot for you, but it's in the bottom right corner where your chat box pops up. Click on the settings or options (not sure what it's called off hand) and there should be an appear offline type thing.

Then MSN
How could I forget MSN! lol I used to be terrible on there too. I never log on anymore though. When someone asks if I have MSN, I laugh because I've had hotmail and MSN since I was like 10 or 11.

I had very careful parents growing up
And for good reasons too! I had careful parents too, but they always assumed I was the 'good one' because I never got into trouble at school and I was always really sick (Still am). They just assumed I wouldn't even know how to misbehave I guess. Little did they know... I learned a lot about dating and sex from chatrooms and nfic when I really shouldn't have been chatting in those kinds of rooms or reading those kinds of things.

.talk nerdy to me.
#225689 01/08/12 01:27 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just a random thought - but do dating websites count as social networking sites? I mean, you *are* using them to meet people...

If they *are* social networking sites, consider me a fan. I met my husband on the Yahoo Personals. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#225690 01/08/12 01:29 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
Just a random thought - but do dating websites count as social networking sites? I mean, you *are* using them to meet people...

If they *are* social networking sites, consider me a fan. I met my husband on the Yahoo Personals. laugh
Really?! That's so sweet! I didn't even know Yahoo had a personals thing.

I met my ex on Craigslist, but I tell everyone we met when I was working as a photographer at a fashion show. I met my current... almost boyfriend... on CL as well, but I totally had a PlentyOfFish account a few years ago.

.talk nerdy to me.
#225691 01/08/12 01:32 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
[b] Just a random thought - but do dating websites count as social networking sites? I mean, you *are* using them to meet people...

Really?! That's so sweet! I didn't even know Yahoo had a personals thing.

I met my ex on Craigslist, but I tell everyone we met when I was working as a photographer at a fashion show. I met my current... almost boyfriend... on CL as well, but I totally had a PlentyOfFish account a few years ago. [/b]
Thanks! Yahoo used to have personals. But I think in the last few years they might have merged with match.com. I haven't really poked around there since my first date with my husband in May 2005, so I'm a little out of the loop on that one. laugh

Meeting on CL? That's pretty neat too! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#225692 01/08/12 01:51 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Meeting on CL?
I actually went on with the intention of meeting people from my area because my parents moved us out to this small(ish) town about 40 minutes east of the city I grew up in, so I literally had no friends, and just wanted someone to hang out with. It flourished into the most self-destructive three years of my life, but at least I was entertained for a while!

.talk nerdy to me.
#225693 01/09/12 12:59 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Mrs. Luthor:
There is actually a way to turn yourself offline on the chat, so they can't even start a chat convo with you. If you need help figuring it out, I'll do a screen shot for you, but it's in the bottom right corner where your chat box pops up. Click on the settings or options (not sure what it's called off hand) and there should be an appear offline type thing.
Thank you for your offer, but it's ok, I've had my chat options like that for a while. smile The worst part is that my best friend did the same and we do this sort of cat and mouse dance, never knowing when each other is really offline (and we do like to chat anyway we can!). Usually we send random messages to each other to see if there's a reply. We need to syncronize more huh

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#225694 01/09/12 11:52 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I've used these boards, MSN messenger, chatrooms and IRC since I was 14-15 (started out in 2002-2003). On 2006 I started a LiveJournal I still use. I was an early adopter of those kinds of social networking, being both young and with the Internet not being very widespread in Greek homes before 2005 or so.

I used to avoid Facebook like the plague. I knew it would be a huge timewaster and I just wasn't a fan of being expected to add all the classmates from high school. I didn't even like them all that much. :p I finally caved into my best friend's pressure last year and made an account, but I'm using a fake last name and I've added relatively few people.

I technically met my boyfriend of two-and-a-half years on IRC, too. He was in a trivia channel and had already made some friends there, then I followed one of those friends (whom I had met through MSN messenger via a RL friend) into the channel... and then a long, long story which ends up with us getting together two and a half years after our first meeting, lol.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#225695 01/09/12 12:35 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I've uh got a book series I'm pitching to agents/editors right now [had some interest, still waiting to hear...] about couples who meet on Craigslist wink . Glad to know real people do too laugh .

I've met a couple of people from the boards in person - I'd consider it social networking. I'm addicted to FB, go through phases with Twitter.

One of the biggest... social networks [as long as we're expanding the definition a bit] I'm a part of is the email lists/loops for the writers' group I'm part of and the writing blogs I follow. I have made some AMAZING friends that way.

LOVE them laugh .

And I really do need to get back here more often... I may even have a WIP rolling around somewhere... wink Y'all do know there's still some of us hanging out on IRC in #loisclark right? Join us!

Carol

#225696 01/09/12 12:49 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I had a very, very bad experience in the past with an on-line stalker which is why I have no Facebook or Twitter and absolutely no plans to ever have them. I am barely entertained by the mundane details of my life. I find it incomprehensible that anyone else would really want to know what I ate for breakfast. laugh Besides, I shudder to think that there would be a permanent record on a server somewhere of all my random thoughts.

Bruce Campbell! For him I could consider following a Twitter feed. He's the reason I'm still watching Burn Notice. Last year my sister insisted that I had to watch that show. It took me until the second episode to realize who Sam was. If you haven't seen it, the first couple of seasons are lots of fun. It's been slowly running out of steam since then, but Bruce/Sam is always worth the watch. No one can deliver a pithy line like him.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard