Print Thread
#225235 11/20/11 12:01 PM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
I was just wondering if any of you had also bought the new Kindle Fire this week? I just bought mine
Thursday and just had time to play with it this afternoon. So far i really, really like it. Oh a nd
a few months ago i had brought up the topic of which handheld device to buy in this forum. I ended up with a
Sony Ereader then. Anyway, in that discussion someone mentioned not wanting to use a Kindle because you would have to email the fanfic to the Kindle. Well, on the Kindle Fire you can do it that way though i haven't tried it yet. But you also have the option to download it directly. You use a micro usb cable. It isn't included so you have to buy one but it is not expensive at all. I successfully transferred several fanfics to it using the micro usb cable . It was easy and they look just fine on the Kindle. Oh and by the way, does anyone know of any forum where you can discuss the Kindle or Amazon in general? This is my first experience with Amazon. I haven't even ever bought anything from them before. So what do the rest of you think about it?
Have any of you bought the Nook tablet instead?
If so, how do you like it so far? I had considered buying it instead. smile1

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I didn't buy the Kindle Fire, but I did use some gift money I had been saving to buy the Kindle Touch. One of the first things I did was to sideload all of the previous Kerth winning and nominated stories that I had not yet read.

I had tried at first just copying the plain text files to the Kindle, but I didn't like the way the Kindle handled that format, so I ran the files through Calibre to convert them to the native Kindle format. I then copied those files to the Kindle via a USB cable, and voila -- nicely formatted stories ready to be read whenever I can steal a moment to do so.

Amazon has user discussion forums on its site; you can see them here .

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I bought a Nook and have enjoyed it so far. I've been converting some fanfics to the epub format and downloading them via USB cable to my Nook. The converting program is Sigil which is very easy to use.

I didn't want a Kindle because I've read on some other blogs that its software is a proprietary .mobi format. The .epub is obviously a free public software format.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This is a great little forum - I've learned a lot from browsing on it and it has a very friendly, helpful community which doesn't treat newbies as idiots or annoying if they ask a question. I see that it has a specific section for the Fire now:

Kindle Forum

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have a Nook Color, which was given to me as a Christmas present last year. I love it.

I haven't tried to figure out how to download fic onto it since I read all my fanfic on these boards anyway, but I know the reader will do a lot more than I use it for.

I would have been happy with just the plain Nook, because all I really wanted was an ereader, but my friend doesn't believe in doing things half way.

Still the wifi connection works with the wireless connection I have with my internet so it's cool.

I think anyone who likes to read, should have one.

Tank (who has lost a couple of games of chess to his Nook)

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I've had a Nook for almost a year and liked it. My husband thought it would be easier to borrow ebooks from the library than the Kindle. I haven't tried downloading fanfic.

Joan

P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
Just as an update i've had my Kindle Fire for about a month now and i absolutely love it.
If anyone is thinking about giving a tablet gift to someone i suggest you buy the Fire.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard