Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This is from season one, so you may have seen it before, but I hadn't. Enjoy.

Science vs. Superman

This *is* my happily ever after.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol Never seen the show but that was hysterical! Kryptonian skin cells!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
clap laugh
Oh. My. God. I have literally, and I mean *literally* had that very same argument. In fact, we spent an entire 2 periods in my physics class discussing the physical inaccuracy of this scene. blush blush Not necessarily the arms of steel chopping Lois in half, but the accleration of her descent verses the timing and speed of Superman's ascent to the building... Superman begins his flight too far away and the building is not nearly tall enough to provide him the sort of time he needs in order to reach Lois and successfully catch her without killling her on impact- he has no time slow down, plus air drag and... now I'm geeking out again. laugh After this we went on to find physical inaccuracies in various other movies, but no one else seemed to understand the principle behind "willing suspension of disbelief." Cinematic effects are just that- effects. So what if they aren't entirely accurate? (I mean, to a certain extent accuracy is important- but only to the point of keeping up the illusion) It was actually a lot of fun debating it.

Wow, went waaaaayyy off topic there. blush Sorry. The take away: I love this show, had forgotten about this episode, laughed really hard, and am glad you posted it here to remind me of it. :p

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A real geek might argue that the Superman movie was just a re-enactment of the real event which happened at a much taller building giving Superman much more time to slow his descent before actually catching Lois. laugh Not that I know any geeks.... :rolleyes:

I love 'Big Bang Theory' and am very upset it is one of the shows one cannot watch online (since I gave up my cable last year). Actually it was this show that inspired me to write a comic book store owner as the romantic lead in one of my stories... hmmm. I really need to finish that one.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I got into Theory because of this one's twin from two years ago. It's such a fun show clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, I HAVE to respond to this one since I have (in my opinion) a perfectly reasonable explanation that I covered in detail in Chapter 6 of The Return of Ultra Woman .

Consider any time that Superman moves at super speed. The g-forces on anything and anyone he is carrying would instantly crush the object or kill the person for reasons essentially the same as explored in this clip. People and objects can only survive being moved at (accelerated quickly up to) super speed if they are somehow insulated from the g-forces while they are in contact with Superman.

For ROUW I borrowed from EE Smith and the Lensman books and used neutralization of momentum. If I understand the real science correctly, this could be achieved in real life if there were some mechanism to remove or reduce the Higgs field interaction of matter. That is what I used in ROUW.

So, here is the argument:
1. The movie Superman can move at super speed carrying something.
2. The person or thing he is carrying survives their exposure to super speed.
3. Therefore, anything in contact with Superman while he is using his powers is subject to neutralization of momentum.
4. Therefore, the g-forces on movie Lois when she was caught were zero no matter what the relative speeds were a microsecond before Superman and Lois came into physical contact.

Those guys in "Big Bang Theory" need to study their Physics a little more closely.

Ducking back into the phantom lurker world where I’ve been searching for my long-missing muse.

Bob

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Virginia, check out www.ch131.com

They record a large number of shows every day and you can watch them all on-line without having to download anything to your computer. The Big Bang Theory is just one of many shows they have and they maintain archives of previous episodes. smile

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, I like Bob's theory. But that clip was funny!

Molly
Columnist
Columnist
I've never actually watched an entire episode of Big Bang Theory, but I think I have to start. Also, I think I might be in love with Bob...

Smart people make me swoon!

.talk nerdy to me.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Leonard's suggestion on a proposal stolen from Lois and Clark fanfiction, I think ML Thompson's Super Stud. Practically word for word

Leonard\'s suggestion to Penny

As Lois looked into the gentle eyes of the extremely powerful man above her, she felt emotions flood her. Tears soon began to gather in the corners of her eyes.

"Lois?" Clark asked, his hand coming up to her face to gently stroke it. She'd cried before when they'd made love. Was he doing something to hurt her?

"I'm just thinking about how much I love you," Lois said, feeling as if she would burst from the power of the emotions surging through her.

"And it scares you," Clark added, his comment both a statement and a question.

She nodded slightly.

Clark was silent for a moment before slowly slipping from her. He moved to lie beside her, gently gathering her in his arms. "Well," he said, pondering the problem, "maybe it would help if you knew exactly what my intentions are here." He felt her tense and smiled slightly. She was obviously expecting him to propose - as he'd done several times while under the influence of the pheromone compound - and he knew she wasn't ready. "Don't worry. I'm not planning to propose," he said.

"Oh," responded Lois - both relieved, and in some strange way, disappointed.

"No," he said with conviction. "In fact, I'm never planning to propose," he added thoughtfully.

"No?" she couldn't seem to stop herself from asking - although part of her hated herself for following up on this line of conversation.

"But I know you aren't ready. So I'm going to wait for you to ask me," he concluded.

"What?"

He smiled. "I'm going to wait for you to ask me," he repeated. "Whenever you're ready to marry me, all it takes is one little question. Of course, I expect you to make it enticing. Maybe after a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant you could ask me to go for a walk. And as the sun sets, you could..."

She looked at him in disbelief as he continued drawing a verbal picture of her proposing. He had obviously put some thought into this. It suddenly occurred to her what he'd done. He had found the perfect way to propose without scaring her - by making his intentions perfectly clear and yet leaving the timing of it completely in her hands. And at the same time, he'd managed to alleviate all of her insecurities about how seriously he was taking the relationship.

She pulled herself up and looked into his eyes for a long moment. "And what makes you think I'll ever ask?" she asked playfully. "I'm a lot smarter than to let myself get tied down to some hack from Nowheresville."

"Oh, you'll ask," he corrected. "Because I'm going to make you fall so hopelessly in love with me that you won't be able to think clearly." With those words he pulled her head down to claim her lips.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I like Bob's argument. Here's another argument that Sheldon et al didn't consider:

1) Superman's aura protects him and his immediate environment. It protects his clothes, for example.

2) Superman routinely performs feats that should cause structural failures. He picks things up by parts that should be to weak to support them, stops objects too quickly and so on.

3) It has been shown that an electric ...ing defects within conducting materials.

4) If Clark's aura also acts by reinforcing molecular bonds of objects that he is touching then, as Superman caught her, the molecules in Lois's body would immediately become much stronger and she would be immune to the forces applied during her rescue.

What about damage to his cape? Either the woven nature of the material makes it too disconnected (i.e. a thread touching another thread touching another and so on) for the aura to fully penetrate it or, maybe, subconsciously he just doesn't like it.

By the way, this might also have implications in Clark's laundry room. If Clark's aura reinforces molecular bonds then no amount of scrubbing (by him) will take stains out of his uniforms. Looks like Lois gets stuck with the laundry at the Kent house.

And again, those guys in "Big Bang Theory" need to study their Physics a little more closely. After all, the purpose of science is to attempt to explain what is happening, not to explain how what is happening can not happen. The old standby that "according to the laws of aerodynamics bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly" said more about how little we knew about their flight than about how bumblebees fly .

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Shallowford:
What about damage to his cape? Either the woven nature of the material makes it too disconnected (i.e. a thread touching another thread touching another and so on) for the aura to fully penetrate it or, maybe, subconsciously he just doesn't like it.
laugh Well, that would explain why he kept changing it. wink

By the way, this might also have implications in Clark's laundry room. If Clark's aura reinforces molecular bonds then no amount of scrubbing (by him) will take stains out of his uniforms.
I've always wondered how he got stains. If his aura supposedly protects his uniform from damage, why can it still be stained?

And again, those guys in "Big Bang Theory" need to study their Physics a little more closely. After all, the purpose of science is to attempt to explain what is happening, not to explain how what is happening can not happen.
Good point.

Sheldon, your rebuttal? laugh

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I've always wondered how he got stains. If his aura supposedly protects his uniform from damage, why can it still be stained?
Maybe his aura only prevents damage to his uniform, not contact with it. So when smoke or oil sludge or whatever contacts the suit the aura also makes it very resistant to modification (cleaning) until after he takes it off.

Shallowford
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Shallowford:
Maybe his aura only prevents damage to his uniform, not contact with it. So when smoke or oil sludge or whatever contacts the suit the aura also makes it very resistant to modification (cleaning) until after he takes it off.
In other words, the suit can get dirty as easily as Clark can, but the stain doesn't set until he takes off the suit? wink

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Do we know if the bomb stain or the lipstick stain ever comes out of either suit? Or did these end up in Martha's rag pile? smile

No wonder Martha buys extra fabric...

(Have only recently starting watching Big Bang Theory--it is a really great show!)

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard