Leonard's suggestion on a proposal stolen from Lois and Clark fanfiction, I think ML Thompson's Super Stud. Practically word for word

Leonard\'s suggestion to Penny

As Lois looked into the gentle eyes of the extremely powerful man above her, she felt emotions flood her. Tears soon began to gather in the corners of her eyes.

"Lois?" Clark asked, his hand coming up to her face to gently stroke it. She'd cried before when they'd made love. Was he doing something to hurt her?

"I'm just thinking about how much I love you," Lois said, feeling as if she would burst from the power of the emotions surging through her.

"And it scares you," Clark added, his comment both a statement and a question.

She nodded slightly.

Clark was silent for a moment before slowly slipping from her. He moved to lie beside her, gently gathering her in his arms. "Well," he said, pondering the problem, "maybe it would help if you knew exactly what my intentions are here." He felt her tense and smiled slightly. She was obviously expecting him to propose - as he'd done several times while under the influence of the pheromone compound - and he knew she wasn't ready. "Don't worry. I'm not planning to propose," he said.

"Oh," responded Lois - both relieved, and in some strange way, disappointed.

"No," he said with conviction. "In fact, I'm never planning to propose," he added thoughtfully.

"No?" she couldn't seem to stop herself from asking - although part of her hated herself for following up on this line of conversation.

"But I know you aren't ready. So I'm going to wait for you to ask me," he concluded.

"What?"

He smiled. "I'm going to wait for you to ask me," he repeated. "Whenever you're ready to marry me, all it takes is one little question. Of course, I expect you to make it enticing. Maybe after a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant you could ask me to go for a walk. And as the sun sets, you could..."

She looked at him in disbelief as he continued drawing a verbal picture of her proposing. He had obviously put some thought into this. It suddenly occurred to her what he'd done. He had found the perfect way to propose without scaring her - by making his intentions perfectly clear and yet leaving the timing of it completely in her hands. And at the same time, he'd managed to alleviate all of her insecurities about how seriously he was taking the relationship.

She pulled herself up and looked into his eyes for a long moment. "And what makes you think I'll ever ask?" she asked playfully. "I'm a lot smarter than to let myself get tied down to some hack from Nowheresville."

"Oh, you'll ask," he corrected. "Because I'm going to make you fall so hopelessly in love with me that you won't be able to think clearly." With those words he pulled her head down to claim her lips.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!