Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#224186 09/29/11 03:50 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally posted by LabRat:
Katniss et al have been through a whole lot. They're not going to come out of everything unscarred.
This was definitely my thinking. If there had been a traditionally fairytale happy ending I don't think it would have satisfied me as much as the bittersweet ending we got. LabRat smile
Yeah! I completely agree with you LabRat and IolantheAlias thumbsup

Joan

#224187 09/30/11 01:46 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks

I was halfway through this historical novel when I became aware that its bones were based on a true story: Eyam - The Plague Village

In 1666, a small English village was hit by Plague. In a moment of collective courage, all 300+ of its souls made a pact to stay there, cut off from the rest of the world, rather than cut and run and spread the disease to their neighbours. Many, of course, succumbed to the disease, but their sacrifice probably saved many other lives.

With the addition of sympathetic characters and a stirring plot, the author builds on the bones of this poignant tale and gives a fascinating account of what it must have been like to have so many of the people who made up your small world vanish almost overnight in the most terrible of circumstances. A truly remarkable story.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#224188 10/01/11 12:40 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#28 - Poesia Completa - Florbela Espanca

The complete works of the poet who spoke of unattainable love and death. Usually I don't read poetry (unless it's Fernando Pessoa and his other personas) but found this book on the public library and just couldn't resist it. Florbela Espanca is as known for her tragic life as for her also tragic poetry (in the brief period of the first portuguese republic - 1910 to 1934 - she was married three or four times and made more or less the same number of suicide attempts - one of which was successfull). The book is more or less chronological and we can see the evolution of the poet and of her depression, as the themes become progressively more centered around death.

#29 - A Conspiracy of paper - David Liss

#30 The Coffee Trader - David Liss

Both books are historical romances and I must admit that the reason I was first drawn to them was because the main characters are either portuguese or of portuguese descent and jews during the dark period of the Inquisition. Still the Inquisition is just a shadow that passes here and there but of no real consequence since the novels are set in The Netherlands and England - countries where the jews were safe from the malpractices of the catholic church at that time. At the core they're stories of two distinct adventures and were a great entertainment for me.

#31 - Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

I've been meaning to read this book for years and now that I did it surpassed my expectations. Apart from being a sort of biography, it's also a sort of sattire.

#32 - The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas père

The classic of the month. It was a good read.

#33 - The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett

I'm continuing to read the Discworld books (still have a long way to go...). So far it's being one of the best literary experiences I've ever had. (It's fun!!)

#34 - Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A wonderful book. The nigerian setting plays as great a part in the book as the characters.

#35 - Marina - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

A gothic romance set in Barcelona. I loved it, but then again, it has Barcelona in it. And a misterious mansion. And a character that is a homage to Frankenstein. And so on. But speaking more seriously, it made me reflect on the obsession of men to prolong their lives beyond the natural cycle.

#36 - Summer Crossing - Truman Capote

The last book I read in September is was publicated posthumously and it's an unfinished work. But nevertheless it's captivating. As the Summer crosses so does Grady grow. But...

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#224189 10/01/11 02:01 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm continuing to read the Discworld books (still have a long way to go...). So far it's being one of the best literary experiences I've ever had. (It's fun!!)
I don't know if you're reading in order, Olive, but if you are, you've got way more fun to come! laugh I've always thought that the Rincewind books were a lot of fun, but absolutely nothing compared to the hilarity once you get to the books about the City Watch and the witches, Nanny Og and Granny Weatherwax. Would be interesting to see if you agree. Regardless - enjoy!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#224190 10/01/11 10:48 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you LabRat! Yes, I am reading them in order - since they're so many that this is the easiest way not to lose track.
I just started Equal Rites and loved the premise. Now it's just a matter of seeing where the story goes. But one thing I've already learned: they're not the kind of books to read in public. blush People tend to stare when you have a laughing fit on the bus stop - even if they understand that you're not mad, just reading something awesome. laugh

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

#224191 10/04/11 05:10 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
King Raven 1: Hood - Stephen Lawhead

I was a little wary of starting this Robin Hood trilogy - what new is there to say? But as a huge fan of Robin of Sherwood, I wanted to give it a go. Setting the legend in Wales was a good start laugh and the author made a fair case for his theories, but, sadly, there was a huge chunk in the middle which dragged for me.

Sadly, the author made the mistake of taking a boring event - a long convalescence from wounding for our hero - and actually detailed every moment of it. So we got endless pages of Bran being laid up in bed listening to Angharad sing and cook stew, night after night after night. That kind of thing just tends to bore the reader along with the hero, I'm afraid.

And at the end, our hero's boorish treatment of Merian - with whom he had no romantic or other relationship at that point - rather turned me off him completely. It never bodes well if you don't like the hero. laugh

I did persevere with the second book, Scarlet, but unfortunately it was written in first person from the perspective of Will Scarlet, who I didn't find a particularly competent storyteller. I did quite enjoy the interspersing chapters from the villains' perspective and the theories on how the legend was born - the English conversion of the Welsh for King Raven becoming Robin Hood, for example - were intriguing, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested enough to continue, so I gave up after a third of it.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224192 10/07/11 07:19 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Troy Series - David Gemmell

I - Lord of the Silver Bow
II - Shield of Thunder
III - Fall of Kings

I've always avoided Gemmell as an author because the fantasy sub-genre of Battle Fantasy has never appealed. But this alternative history set in the period leading up to and including the Trojan Wars intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a try and I'm so glad I did. I was enthralled throughout by Gemmell's fantasy take on history, full of rich characters and a plot that made much more sense to me than the reality/myth as we know it.

I finished its final pages with a lump in my throat and a smile and I'm definitely going to try more of Gemmell's work in the future.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224193 10/10/11 04:03 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#36 The Giver by Lois Lowry

I can't believe I haven't picked this one up before since I love futuristic society plots. My daughter is reading it in English so she let me read it too. Great story.

A Season of Darkness by Douglas Jones and Phyllis Gobbell

More true crime.

Joan

#224194 10/10/11 04:59 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Best Laid Plans
Another one whose title I can't even remember, despite finishing it only last night (which should tell you all you need to know laugh )

Both by Sidney Sheldon. I had a period of reading Sheldon back when I was a teen so this was something of a nostalgia trip for me. But, hoo boy. I have no idea why this author has been so phenomenally successful over the years. Cardboard characters whose motives are, at times, bizarre, completely implausible plots which defy logic and a writing style that is fragmented and confusing...I read the second one just in case I'd picked a bad apple first time around, but seems not as it was every bit as flawed as the first.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224195 10/15/11 08:39 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#38 Love Her to Death by M. William Phelps

Can you tell my uncle gave me a bag of true crime novels?

#224196 10/16/11 03:44 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I'm jumping in late but...

I'm also setting up my office which will have bookcases and is where most of my books are at the moment so when I put them up in the next week or so, I'll have to make a more complete list. Ditto going through my Kindle but off the top of my head so far this year...

1. Sweet Caroline by Rachel Hauck
2. Dry As Rain by Gina Holmes
3. Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes
4. Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones
5. The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund
6. The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund
7. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
8. Love Remains by Kaye Dacus
9. Art of Romance by Kaye Dacus
10. A Stray Drop of Blood by Roseanna M. White
11. Jewel of Persia by Roseanna M. White
12. Tying the Knot by Susan May Warren
13. My Foolish Heart by Susan May Warren
14. Happily Ever After by Susan May Warren
15. Gone to Green by Judy Christie
16. Goodness Gracious Green by Judy Christie
17. Rancher's Reunion by Tina Radcliffe
18. Stealing Jake by Pam Hillman
19. Oklahoma Reunion by Tina Radcliffe
20. Michal by Jill Eileen Smith
21. Abigail by Jill Eileen Smith
22. Bathsheba by Jill Eileen Smith
23. Deeply Devoted by Maggie Brendan
24. Shadowed in Silk by Christine Lindsay
25. Seasons by Elizabeth Byler Younts
26. The Prophetess One: At Risk by Linda Rohrbough
27. Reunited Hearts by Ruth Logan Herne
28. A Family for Faith by Missy Tippens
29. Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar
30. Bound by Guilt by CJ Darlington
31. Wanted: A Family by Janet Dean
32. Second Chance Courtship by Glynna Kaye

By Deeanne Gist
33. Maid to Match
34. A Bride in the Bargain
35. Deep in the Heart of Trouble
36. Courting Trouble
37. Measure of a Lady
38. A Bride Most Begrudging

By Mary Connealy
39. Gingham Mountain
40. Cowboy Christmas
41. Deep Trouble
42. Montana Rose
43. Husband Tree
44. Wildflower Bride
45. Doctor in Petticoats
46. Wrangler in Petticoats
47. Sharpshooter in Petticoats
48. Out of Control

By Erica Vetsch
49. Before the Dawn
50. Clara and the Cowboy
51. Lily and the Lawman
52. Maggie and the Maverick
53. Bartered Bride
54. Marriage Masquerade
55. Engineered Engagement

By Julie Klassen
56. Apothecary's Daughter
57. Lady of Milkweed Manor
58. The Girl in the Gatehouse

By Janice Thompson
59. Fools Rush In
60. Swinging on a Star
61. It Had to Be You
62. Stars Collide [this one had a very L/C feel to it to me]
63. Hello, Hollywood
64. Love Finds You in Groom, Texas [as Janice Hanna]

Okay - I had the help of my Kindle being handy and my blog where I sometimes mention what I've bought/read... wink

I know there's more but hey - doing better than I thought I had wink .

Most are CBA [Christian/Inspirational - at least on this list]. I've also completed one manuscript this year [start to finish - at least two interested agents - squee!] and finished three others. I've read at least 3 other manuscripts for friends but I don't think they count since they're not actually books... So I guess the times I've read/reread mine don't count either wink .

Ah well! It works laugh .

Carol

#224197 10/16/11 04:57 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Kingslayer Chronicles I: The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Quite simply the best fantasy novel I've read this year. I was hooked right from page one and enthralled every step of the way. In my top ten list of all time favourites. One of those books where you keep sneaking a peek at the percentage at the bottom of your Kindle because you don't want to finish it too quickly and really don't want it to end at all.

Only fly in the ointment is that halfway through this first book I realised it's part of a trilogy. Book one was published in 2007. Book two..in March of this year. Book three? Who the hell knows? Not the author apparently, who doesn't even mention it on his webpage, although he's chockful of talk about his other projects. razz Why do I keep doing this to myself? You'd think I've have learned the hard lesson with Jordan and Martin. <sigh>

Ah well, at least book one didn't end on a cliffhanger.... It's going to be a heck of a long wait to get the rest of the story though.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224198 10/19/11 05:10 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#39 -A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve

Interesting relationship story about a couple that moved to Kenya.

#224199 10/22/11 02:53 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The King's Rose - Alisa M. Libby

I found this to be a somewhat pedestrian telling of the marriage of King Henry VIII and Katherine Howard, told from Katherine's pov. Perhaps it was just too familiar a tale - it's not been that long since I was captivated by its playing out on The Tudors. But, regardless, I didn't feel I learned anything new or interesting here.

The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

OTOH, the story of Elizabeth I, in all its parts, is one that I've seen told and retold endlessly over the years and, yet, I still found this telling to be absolutely enthralling and felt that I still was able to learn something fresh about this compelling woman as we travelled with her from being a child told of her mother's disgrace and execution to the moment she learns she is Queen of England. Absolutely fascinating.

The Left Hand of God - Paul Hoffman

Another fantasy trilogy that has made its way into my top ten list. I'll be waiting eagerly to read books two and three. One thing I especially liked with this one was that although the characters were recognisable as stalwarts of the genre, they were flawed enough that they behaved against type in many instances, which leant an unpredictablity to the story that's often missing in the world of fantasy novels. And although that's not something I have any issues with, it's nice now and then to break away from the norm.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224200 10/24/11 08:56 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#40 House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson

#224201 10/26/11 04:25 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh! I love this thread! I don't think I've read 50 books this year. I may have, but it doesn't feel that way. I re-read a ton of my favourites. I'm sure I've read more than I can actually remember, but I usually buy, read and then lend/donate/give away to a friend when I'm through, so my shelf is basically bare.

Let's see...

1. Burnt Toast - Teri Hatcher (of course)
2. The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson
3. Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson (for school)
4. Othello - Shakespeare (for school)
5. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawethorne (for school)
6. The Door to December - Dean Koontz
7. The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin
8. Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
9. Wicked - Gregory McGuire
10. Son of a Witch - Gregory McGuire
11. A Boy Called 'It' - Dave Pelzer
12. A Man Named Dave - Dave Pelzer
13. The Book of Awesome - Neil Pasricha
14. The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
15. Discourse on the Method for Reasoning Well and for Seeking Truth in the Sciences - Rene Descartes (I have a secret love affair with philosophy tombs)

And currently reading:
16. Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

.talk nerdy to me.
#224202 10/26/11 05:23 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Joan - what did you think of House of Secrets?

Tracie was the keynote speaker at a recent writer's conference and they gave a copy of the book to everyone. I actually ended up with several [there were leftovers and I picked them up off the free table to use as gifts etc] but I've not had a chance to read it yet.

Carol

#224203 10/30/11 10:57 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Lies of Locke Lamara - Scott Lynch

I seem to be on a roll with great fantasy novels lately and this was one of the best yet.

I just loved this, the first in the author's Gentleman Bs series (I won't annoy the gods of the mbs by typing the full title, but suffice it to say that these guys never had a father marked on their birth certificates wink ).

It's pretty much a book of two halves - the misadventures of our hero, Locke and his gang of scam artists in the present, interspersed with flashbacks showing the history of how he came under the wing of the Fagan-like Thiefmaker as an orphaned child and then learnt his trade under his mentor Father Chains as he grew up.

The two things I loved most about this were the thread of sly wit running through the book, which had me LOLing more than once, and the wonderful detail of the world the author has woven to set his story in. From mirror wine to Gentled animals to cat bridges made of spun Elderglass...it was beautifully rich and endlessly fascinating. But it also had all the great themes of the genre in spades - drama, adventure, comedy, betrayal, revenge, brotherhood, friendship....this is a book that I would love to see translated into a movie.

I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224204 10/31/11 02:06 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#37 Mulher em Branco - Rodrigo Guedes de Carvalho

After her son disappears a woman becomes amnesiac. That's the premise, but the book, although not my favorite from this author, is special in the way that portrays loss and grief - mostly through inner monologues of the several characters.

#38 Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett
#39 Mort - Terry Pratchett

By now, my monthly usuals. And, yeah, Granny Weatherwax is amazing.

#40 The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

thumbsup Found this one by chance in the public library. I've read other books by Bryson and liked them but this one had the added bonus of helping me put in context (and quite by coincidence) the subject I was studying earlier in the month in one of my classes about media studies.

#41 A Spectacle of Corruption - David Liss

The adventures of Benjamin Weaver continue. I liked it, but I was a little confused at first with some of the plot twists. Still, it was a good read.

#42 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

My accomplishment of the month. I was awed by the book - the way it conjugates plans of reality and dream, and how the author progresses the storyline in an apparently simple but oh so ingenious way. And most of all Raskolnikov's inner turmoils and decisions based mostly on coincidences. It's decided. One of these days I'll read the Brothers Karamazov.

#224205 11/02/11 09:47 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
It was an interesting conflict. The love interest seemed too easy but the story was more about the three sisters and dealing with their past. While I'm a Christian and believe in what they were saying about faith, some of the dialogue in that regard seemed a bit unnatural.

Overall it was a good read.

Joan

Originally posted by carolm:
Joan - what did you think of House of Secrets?

Tracie was the keynote speaker at a recent writer's conference and they gave a copy of the book to everyone. I actually ended up with several [there were leftovers and I picked them up off the free table to use as gifts etc] but I've not had a chance to read it yet.

Carol

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard