Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
The Secret FOLC 2010 Card Exchange is on again!

Anyone who wants to participate needs to email me their name, address, and screen name by November 30, 2010. I will randomly assign names and email the recipients individually on December 2, 2010. No one else will see the addresses.

It doesn't matter how many or how few participants sign up. The exchange will go on.

Please email me at infuse55405@mypacks.net .

Your name---
Your mailing address---
Your screen name---

Deadline: November 30, 2010

meadowrose

party party party party party

M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
Hi Everyone. We are off to a good start. 11 more days to sign up to participate in the Secret FOLC card exchange.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do we need to do this again if we contacted Jax?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm in! smile

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
Yes. You need to send me your information even if you sent it to Jax. I don't have any of the information that she had.

M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
We're getting a good turnout! Everyone keep sending in your information!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm sorry but as I have no idea who you are - you are neither a writer nor a vocal commentator/critic/feedback person - I am not willing to risk my personal details with you.

Editorjax is a known personality on these boards with a reputation that commands a certain level of trust. Her credibility gave a sense of security in the professional and open way she conducted the secret santa in previous years.

I don't mean to be rude but as far as I know you are one of the stalkers who has abused fellow FoLCs in the past. I am not willing to freely part with my information to a complete unknown.

If people are signing up, I would expect to see lots of feedback on this thread. The fact that hasn't happened yet you say there is a good turnout sends nothing but warning bells to me.

I respect the fact message boards and forums allow the right of anonymity (and multiple personalities/accounts) however I think to organise something like this you need to be someone known and trusted to this community.

I would have participated had it been run by Editorjax (or anyone she had passed the task onto or anyone who is respected/vocal in the fanfic community) however I will not risk my details with an anonymous lurker. Good luck to anyone willing to take that risk.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Feelings...nothing more than...feelings.

Seriously, I hope you do have a good turnout, and I'm only sorry I can't participate this year. Funnily enough, I had signed up with Jenn, and right after she canceled...I got my eviction notice, so I unfortunately do not know what my address is going to be in December/January yet. Best of luck. smile

Not trying to pick a fight, but honestly it seems hardly necessary to publicly announce distrust, especially to a semi-anonymous online community. If there's about to be a problem, why not settle it privately or message any friends you might be concerned about. There's always going to be a risk sending information over the internet. I whole-heartedly agree that the collector of the information certainly plays a factor, but the degree of vocality in any online group isn't an automatic ticket to the land of comfort.

I'm not trying to paint all of us as axe murders hiding behind the ficus, but people know the risks by default of joining a semi-anonymous online community. There are many vocal and quiet people whose real names we'll never know, whose houses we aren't getting invited to anytime soon. (House party, anyone? goofy ) I'm not about to declare myself or anyone else more trustworthy than member #124 or #1001 just because some of us like to write or hear the sounds of our own voices.

Anyway I always wish all of you well in your efforts and encourage a touch of privacy in settling your concerns. We do have admins hanging around for a reason. They kind of committed themselves to making sure the axe murderers keep themselves in check every once and a while.

Long Live Lurkdom,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We do have Admins hanging around
We certainly do. laugh

Whilst you have a perfectly valid point, generally, Lisa and I don't necessarily believe that this kind of concern belongs off of the boards, as Jenn does, I do have to say that reading your post I was surprised by the level of anger that seemed to be in it. Meadowrose, who, as far as I can tell, has done nothing to deserve it, seems to have committed no great crime other than volunteer her spare time to step in and rescue a fun FoLC event when Jax was unable to.

So, whilst, imo, your concerns are valid, Lisa, as is bringing them to the forum, I think the problem lies in the execution of those concerns in this instance and that the tone in which they were delivered was unfortunate. The forum would be better served if such issues were couched in broad, general terms, rather than being addressed to one, particular individual.

I can understand that you have security concerns and issues, and would heartily agree, as both you and Jenn note, that being secure in your online dealings is important and being cautious and hip to the dangers is a part of being out there in the online world. Each of us has to make our own choices as to where the line is drawn and who we trust and don't trust.

Would I pass my personal details to someone I didn't really know? Probably not. But then I'm the UberQueen of Paranoia when it comes to being online, working on a strict need to know basis, so I'm not the best example to work to. laugh

If people are signing up, I would expect to see lots of feedback on this thread. The fact that hasn't happened yet you say there is a good turnout sends nothing but warning bells to me.
This doesn't mean very much to me - there could be any number of reasons why this is a short thread, none of them sinister. I haven't been paying much attention to the rules of this game, but in the interests of smoothing things along, perhaps Meadowrose could consider posting the list of participants? Or does that spoil things? How secret do these Santas have to be? laugh

Either way, I think, personally, that your concerns in this case are probably unfounded, but, again, you have to judge that for yourself, as does everyone else using the forum. Trust or don't trust. Participate or don't participate. We can't tell you which it is or what to do. The important thing is to be secure and comfortable in your own mind when you are dealing with others online. You can't guard entirely against the wolf in sheep's clothing or be 100% safe at all times, but I think you can make informed choices based on the evidence around you and in this case there seems little evidence that I can see that Meadowrose's motives are anything other than her posts suggests.

Certainly, with 70+ posts to her name, Meadowrose is hardly an 'anonymous lurker'.

you are neither a writer nor a vocal commentator/critic/feedback person
Having read some of her posts, she seems to be most of those, actually. Regularly posts story feedback, helps in organising FoLC events such as the IRC episode watch and FoLC Fests, shares her book interests with us, her appreciation of astronomy and particpates in a myriad of ways here on the forum and elsewhere in the fandom. I can't see anything but a genuine FoLC in there.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
perhaps Meadowrose could consider posting the list of participants?
Meadowrose, if you decide to take up LabRat's suggestion, PLEASE only post our online display names, not our full RL names! I try to keep my online reputation strictly professional. As much as I enjoy L&C, I don't ever want a potential employer Googling my name and coming to this forum.

One reason this thread is so short may be that many people may have simply responded to Jax and/or Meadowrose via private e-mail. I hadn't posted to this thread before simply because I saw no need to. I did contact both Jax and Meadowrose privately.

Incidentally, I am confused by your post, Lisamaree. You indicated that you would have been willing to participate if Jax were the organizer. But if you had participated, you would have been agreeing to let your personal information be shared with someone else (i.e., the person who was to send you a card) -- someone about whom you know even less than you know about Meadowrose.

Joy,
Lynn

M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
I'll be posting a reply to this tonight.

M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
I have been a member of the L&C community for over 10 years. I have attended LAFF's, watch the L&C episodes on IRC and I read all the fanfic. I comment on many of the fanfics I read, but I usually send a PM to the author.

I thought long and hard about submitting my information to the first Secret Santa that I joined. I was also concerned about the privacy issues. I decided that for me the benefits of joining outweighed the risks. I am very happy that I decided to take that step. Over the years I have received many beautiful cards and the senders have shared many wonderful holiday traditions with me. It has been a wonderful experience for me which is why when it was cancelled, I decided to step in and keep it going. Each person needs to decide for him or herself if the risks are worth it to him/her and the rest of us need to respect that decision either way it goes.

I am not posting a list of names or the number of people participating. This is a holiday card exchange, nothing more. If the participants choose to post, that is up to them.

I am looking forward to the card I will receive and I hope the other participants are also. In the meanwhile, I am going to enjoy my Thanksgiving, continue to read L&C fanfic and enjoy Lynn SM's and TOC's wonderful language and astronomy pieces.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I comment on many of the fanfics I read, but I usually send a PM to the author.
A good point, Meadowrose. We shouldn't assume that only those who choose to give feedback publicly are commenting or contributing to the fandom and sending feedback privately is equally valid.

I am not posting a list of names or the number of people participating.
A not unreasonable decision.

I trust this now lays this one to rest and that those of you who participate in this event have a lot of fun with it. Which is the point...isn't it? smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
M
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
M
Anyone else who would like to participate in the Secret Santa Card Exchange needs to submit their information as soon as possible. I will be sending out the info on Thursday.

Thanks

Meadowrose.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard