Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Carol's and my antics in the Scardino thread had me wondering if anyone else here is a big fan of Friends? I love, love, love it. It's my other favorite show of all time after L&C. I drive my husband crazy because if an episode is on cable, I'm all, "FRIENDS! We must watch!" and he says, "Uh, you own all 10 seasons on DVD, turn it to ESPN," and I'm all, "Are you still talking?"

I wasn't actually allowed to watch Season 1 -- I was 12, and it was too racy, according to my mother -- but I coughtapeditbehindherbackcough and then started actually watching watching it in Season 2 with her knowledge. To this day, Chandler remains my favorite, and I loved when he and Monica got together

I think I love it because the dialogue is so witty -- and quotable -- and it's easy to follow. I actually watched some of my DVDs while I was in labor. I also think I snapped, "Could I BE having any more contractions?" at one point. laugh It was really cool to get to see the Central Perk set at Warner Bros. during LAFF in 2008, even if the lame tour guide wouldn't let us sit on the couch. (Then again, she kept calling L&C "The New Adventures of Lois and Clark." Um, sure.)

As for current shows I love, I am a huge Desperate Housewives fan even though it's kind of terrible lately, and I have gotten really into Private Practice, which is all of a sudden way better than Grey's Anatomy, and has the fabulous Addison as its heroine! She reminds me a little of Lois, only sluttier. wink

Anyway, what are some shows that you absolutely love, and tell us a little bit about it! With summer reruns coming, maybe this thread will inspire some DVD rentals or Netflicking!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Friends, obviously. I even wrote a Friends L/C crossover once for Annette's birthday. I had a plot for a second one that revolved around IASWAA but never wrote it.

NCIS is also obvious to anyone who read OTOH/UP - wherein a college aged, bedridden Lois turns to NCIS fanfic. She was always good at figuring out WhoDunIt. I also have a sort of crossover half plotted out [as in L/C work with NCIS instead of Henderson etc on the case because it's a sailor - not a true crossover].

Big Bang Theory is a recent new favorite [have watched all eps through this week's in the last month or so] - I need to order those sometime soon. I have others that I have access to through a friend's iTunes and on DVD but those are the ones I pull out to watch regularly. I have most of LOST, Bones, Numbers, CSI LV, JAG, etc.

Ooo and Castle. Though it's only in the second season and only had a half first season so not much to rewatch.

I also have movies I rewatch regularly. Air Force One, Apollo 13, Die Hards, Lethal Weapons, a bunch of others. Watched The Notebook today - not sure if it'll be a rewatch unless I need to cry :p . Damn you Nicholas Sparks! But good movie.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, it's a bit of a past obsession, but I do love Stargate SG-1. I amaze my husband, because I can name any episode in the first 5 seasons within a minute of it being on. If I can't name the exact ep, I can describe what happens. Seasons 6-8, I'm not so good on (2-5 minutes), and 9/10 are worse. Daniel was cute (though I miss his floppy hair), I wanted to be Sam, and I thought Jack and Teal'c were cool.

Current TV obsessions?

Big Bang Theory - I can easily compare myself to Leonard, and I kept rooting for him and Penny to get together. Sheldon's complete lack of social skills, and his disregard for most of them, can be extremely hilarious. I thought the show was going to fail, but I love it.

Castle - Oh my oh my, am I loving this show. I've got a tiny bit of a crush on Nathan Fillion, so that's a draw. But the characters themselves are great. He plays Rick Castle, a mystery writer who needed a muse for a new character after he killed off his previous major character. He starts trailing Detective Kate Beckett on her cases, who initially hates the idea, but has slowly come to appreciate his outlook. Not that she'd ever truly admit it. There's sexual tension, there's mystery, and there's humor and his absolute irreverent love of everything around him.

Bones - I got into this one slowly thanks to repeats, then devoured all of the previous seasons. The mysteries are interesting, but the characters are more fascinating. Everything from Brennan & Booth's chemistry (both sexual and just the way they play off each other) to Angela and Hodgin's history and all of the other squints just keep me drawn in. I've even got the hubby interested. We started watching it a little late last night, and I was fine to just start watching from after the beginning credits. He made me rewind to the beginning, though. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I've mixed feelings about Big Bang Theory -- I love the geek humour but dislike the gutter humour.

My favourite shows: I consider Babylon 5 to be the best show that was ever made. (I know, I know -- That may not be the most politically correct thing to say on an LnC MB. My love of B5 in no way diminishes my appreciation of LnC.) I love the original Star Trek series. It may be very dated now, but it was way ahead of its time. I also enjoy the quirky humour of Forever Knight, despite my not generally enjoying things vampire related.

Edit: Oh yes...How could I have forgotten the original Twilight Zone? That show was brilliant, and, special effects aside, definitely stands the test of time.

cheers,
Lynn

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Castle!! Definitely, definitely, definitely. Love Nathan Fillion and Stana Kanic in their roles as Rick Castle and Kate Beckett, and I love their energy. It's a much more fun ship than my other current obsession, Law & Order:SVU (because they actually let their leads interact and have personal lives, which SVU seems to have something against. I adore Olivia and Elliot, but I have come to grips with the fact that the showrunners love to dangle their amazing connection and chemistry in front of fans with absolutely no intention of moving the characters in any direction toward each other! Whew, sorry. /end rant)

Anyway, Castle is mystery and fun and crazy cases and police work and drama and great writing all wrapped up in one. Win, win... if you aren't watching it, you definitely should be! Monday nights are my favorite nights of the week now.

Tracey smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My current can't-miss show is Chuck. I don't know how anyone who has ever thought of themselves as a "nerd" (and proud of it!) could fail to love this show. In one episode (which I think was last season) the fate of the country (or was it the world?) depended on someone setting a record high score in a video game. I KNOW these people! Of course I appreciate the show even more because my husband worked in a store very similar to BuyMore when we were first married.

Anyway, the show was already canceled and brought back last year, so I urge you to Netflix it and catch up as soon as possible. And don't let this past season's similarity to the Mayson/Dan arc of LnC or the stunt casting drive you away--it does eventually get better.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
my favorite American show right now is GLEE. i'm such a sucker for show tunes and Broadway. I was weaned on Sound of Music, and insisted on going to school in Europe. Not Austria, though -- ended up in Switzerland. lol. I did get to pretend to be Maria in the hills sometimes. lol!

But yeah, I love GLEE. I'mma buy the 2nd Season OST after I memorize this first one I just got the week before. laugh

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
my favorite American show right now is GLEE. i'm such a sucker for show tunes and Broadway. I was weaned on The Sound of Music, and insisted on going to school in Europe. Not Austria, though -- ended up in Switzerland. lol. I did get to pretend to be Maria in the hills sometimes. lol!

But yeah, I love GLEE. I'mma buy the 2nd Season OST after I memorize this first one I just got the week before. laugh

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I wasn't actually allowed to watch Season 1 -- I was 12, and it was too racy, according to my mother
LOL, a big fat ditto. I think I was about 11 when the people I went to school with discovered I didn't watch the show. My mother really wasn't into tv in general, so there are all kinds of shows I didn't watch growing up that apparently qualified as a capital offense. (Home Improvement...Seinfeld...Friends...the list continues, if I think hard enough)

Ok truth be told I forget to turn on my tv a lot. But I never miss Grey's Anatomy or American Idol.

Other shows I love when I do remember to turn on my tv:
Desperate Housewives
Brothers and Sisters
How I Met Your Mother
The Middle
Bones

I am a huge Desperate Housewives fan even though it's kind of terrible lately
PS thank heavens there's a couple of murderers on the block right now. I seem to only love this show when people are sleeping with the fishes.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Kerth
Kerth
NCIS - if you overlook the usual oversimplified forensics (and the sheer impossibility of Abby doing everything) it's a fun show, though the plots are getting a little repetitive. My most recent long fanfic was an NCIS / West Wing / Bones / Supergirl / Superman Returns crossover.

Burn Notice - I like shows about really competent people, and this one works for me pretty well. I've never done any fanfic for it, not sure why.

Being Human - the BBC's most popular horror / supernatural series. If you're not familiar with it, the main protagonists are a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost who share a house, all of whom just want to be treated like anyone else. It sounds like the premise for a sitcom, but it really isn't - warning, it gets very bloody occasionally. I'm waiting to see the third series before I try fanfic, they've left it on a cliffhanger.

Dexter - crime-fighting serial killer. Need I say more? I've written several Dexter stories.

Doctor Who - Do I need a reason? Needless to say I've written fic.

Sarah Jane Adventures - The Dr. Who juvenile spinoff, just good fun in the Whoniverse. I've got some ideas for fanfic, not written anything much yet.

Bones, but I generally wait to buy the DVD box sets.

I seem to have lost most of my interest in CSI and the Stargate universe, not sure why.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
I my favorite American show right now is GLEE. i'm such a sucker for show tunes and Broadway.
I had never heard of this show; I've just added it to my NetFlix queue (along with Chuck, cookiesmom). Thank you both for lettign me know about these shows!

Saori, Did you ever see the old American TV show "Fame"? It took place in a school for the performing arts and always had several musical numbers each episode.

cheers,
Lynn

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I wasn't actually allowed to watch Season 1 -- I was 12, and it was too racy, according to my mother
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, a big fat ditto. I think I was about 11 when the people I went to school with discovered I didn't watch the show.
To this day, I think my mom's head would explode if she knew of all of the innuendo cropping up on S4 of L&C. Oh, the irony. Friends and ER were a big fat no, and here they are ... "bouncing up and down on horseback to get the juices flowing" in good ol' Metropolis. Family programming indeed.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't watch TV much, unless I'm overhearing something someone else is watching. Mostly the someone else is my 11-yr-old daughter. So I guess the show that I "watch" that I like most would be Big Time Rush, which is on Nickelodeon and aimed towards young-ish teenagers and tweens. It's a funny sitcom, and I do enjoy the music. Plus Carlos often reminds me of Dean. smile I don't much like smut or gutter humor these days, and it's hard to find a grown-up show without that.

My husband watches Smallville faithfully, and I've watched some episodes with him. Babylon 5 is amazing (multi-year story arcs, wow). I liked Firefly for the most part (so I guess I should check out Castle).

I've really enjoyed Stargate SG-1 -- the writing doesn't insult my intelligence, even when the show gets very complex. The characters are great. I'd like to see Sam & Jack get together, but that's not happening, and I can deal with that. It lost a little something when Jack left, but I do like Cam. Great humor - Wormhole X-Treme is hilarious. (Any episode with Martin and "Murray" is a stitch)

Dang, now I want to go rewatch "1969", "Crystal Skull", "Tokra (part 2)", "The Lost City", "Moebius" and tons of other great episodes...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Shows I'm currently watching and don't like to miss (though I probably wouldn't buy DVDs or do repeat viewings):

The Mentalist
Criminal Minds
Castle

Shows I'm currently watching and adore (DVDs on pre-order at Amazon laugh ) :

The Vampire Diaries
Supernatural

Shows I'm currently watching and will probably buy DVDs and watch again:

V
Dr. Who

I'm also a huge fan of Survivors and Being Human - cannot wait for the next series of both. Even though the former is so illogical at times it drives me nuts. Oh, yes, and Dexter, too.

And among my many old time favourites, SG1 and The Young Riders still reign supreme, I guess.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to put in another plug for Chuck. It has a lot of parallels with the Superman mythos--secret "powers", secret identity, reluctant hero masquerading as lowly civilian. I think L & C fans would enjoy it.

My son watched all ten seasons of Stargate 1 on DVD last fall when he was sick for about three weeks. For a while he was doing perimeter checks of our back yard and employing imaginary C4 to keep the bad guys away.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I was at least allowed to watch L&C the first time around - I was 14, but my parents thought I was insane...which is a whole different conversation anyways.

Currently I don't have a huge number of shows that I'm watching - shocking, considering my TV-holic ways in the past.

Castle - Love, love, love it!!! Love Nathan Fillion - who wouldn't! But seriously, great interaction between the characters. Have watched Fillion through Firefly and even back into his Soap Opera days on One Life To Live.

Lost - I'm not sure why anymore, cuz I still have no idea what's going on. But it's the last season, so I can make it through a few more episodes. wink

I can always find a Law and Order (original or SVU) somewhere to watch if all else fails.

I AM intrigued by this Glee phenomona...people at work keep talking about it too. I DVR'd one, but haven't watched it yet.

Now, shows that I spend too much time watching on DVD...Most of them are a little older, but still AWESOME!

Star Trek (TOS and TNG) - classics, never managed to get into Deep Space Nine though.

The West Wing - such a good show!!! and so smart.

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer - also such a good show (at least the 1st 3 seasons were), and I know you guys won't make fun of me for it.

Veronica Mars - the first season was amazing! Other 2 seasons also good, but 1st season was untouchable. One of the best done shows that I've seen in a long time, and it was on UPN - that's the most shocking part. I know girl detective solving mysteries may sound a little cheesey (and I'm a Nancy Drew lover from a long time back), but it was smart and funny and plot-driven rather than spending the whole show sulking on teen angst. The angst that was there was incredibly important to the A plot and that happens so rarely in shows.
Can you tell this is my current favorite. wink

Must go back to my DVDs now.
Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
This is an interesting topic. First my past obsessions some of which i currently read fanfic in and sometime rewatch on dvd:
Star Trek (my first and still much loved fandom beginning in 1966)
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek Voyager
Babylon 5
Beauty and the Beast (tv version)
The X-files
Magnum PI
Buffy
And to a lesser extent numerous other usually sci fi shows.
Currently i rarely find anything worth watching on the
old networks abc,cbs or nbc. The last sitcom i watched regularly was probably either The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Newhart. Which certainly gives away my age. I haven't been able to get into more recent sitcoms though i occasionally have tried to. I tend to watch cable if not watching dvds.
Currently i watch
What Not to Wear on TLC
On HGTV
House Hunters
House Hunters International
Divine Design
The Tudors on Showtime
Dexter also Showtime
And i constantly have Fox News channel on while
surfing the net or reading fanfic.

P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
Oops i forgot one of my big favorites Stargate
SG1 and to a much lesser extent the earlier seasons of Stargate Atlantis.
I read a lot of Stargate fanfic.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Patti -

Totally random aside[well not TOTALLY]...

Have you read Becky Bain's Timeless ? It's a crossover with Beauty and the Beast. I've never read it but I've been told so many times that it's fabulous [even if you've never seen B/B]. It really is on my to do list... :p

Carol

P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
Thanks Carol . I will read that fic. I don't believe i've read it. By the way,
i do highly reccomend Beauty and the Beast. It is on dvd. I tend to think most people who like/love
Lois and Clark would love BTB. I would however,
reccomend watching the series for the first time
from the beginning in order. The relationship evolved from episode to episode. However, i can only
reccomend the first two seasons. They totally destroyed the show in the third season in my and
a lot of other fans opinion. As much as i love L&C
in my opinion BTB was the most romantic tv series ever made. The acting, writing, wardrobe, set design all were phenomenal. No offence anyone. L&C is a close second romantically. L&C has much better fanfic in my experience though . At least that i've read.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard