Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222677 03/02/10 12:33 PM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
After nearly two years of trouble with my former pc, Best Buy exchanged it for a new one. Yay. smile I had been running Word 2000 on my old computer (it ran Windows Vista. From what I've Googled it does not sound like I can do this again with my new PC. Anyone with more computer savvy than me know? smile

Thank you,
Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
It looks like Office 00 works with Win7 but that Outlook has issues. At least that's what I came up with when I Googled it... There are apparently work arounds if you need them, but I don't use Outlook [and have Office 07]. Thunderbird might be an option if that's the issue.

I also noticed that extended support for Office 00 ended last summer so there's no updates for any problems [like the Outlook thing].

You could always try installing it and go from there...

Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Wow, what a quick reply. Thanks, Carol. smile I will try it out and see what happens. Aside form $1 for a newer version, eek , my only concern is that documents I have saved on my Flash Drive (Old Version) will automatically be converted.

LOL! As I am typing this, I got a call from the Geek Squad (someone who apparently did not know I had already done the trade)and was able to ask him. He said I would need MS Office 2007. whinging Oh well. I am grateful to the warranty on my old pc for making this new one possible.

Thanks again,
Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Personally, I'd still try Office 00 and see if it works. As for the docs, 07 will open all older versions [but older versions don't open newer ones unless you save it correctly].

Karen, other techie... Can you chime in?

Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Thank you again Carol, I'll try it. Definitely would be worth saving the $. One other computer related question, if I may...My former computer had Trend Micro Internet Security on it. I believe it just had AntiVirus not also AntiSpyware. The new computer came with a free 60 day trial version of Norton Internet Security 2010.

The pc I had before my last one ran Norton and Spysweeper. The were slow, customer service awful, but worked--until a virus killed the computer not even after 2 years. eek grumble

My last computer was not compatible with SpySweeper, I don't believe this one is either. A family member who is much more pc literate than me, had recommended Trend. He said it did a good job, used less RAM, and was also cheaper.

Honestly, I don't know one from the other. blush I just want this computer to last! I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you,
Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I use AVG Free and Spybot so I'm no help there...

They're free wink .

Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Free is laugh I do have time remaining on my Trend so most likely will finish it out and then decide.

Features Writer
Features Writer
On using Word 07 vs. Word 00: if you install Office 07, you shouldn't have any problems opening your old 00 files in it. It has compatibility with older versions. Now, to make sure that you would be able to open a file created in Word 07 (for example) on a older version (97 to 2003), all you have to do is "Save As..." and select "Word 97-2003 Document". You might be confused at first with Office 07's style and organization of menus, but I think it's easily adaptable.

On antivirus/spyware/etc.: I personally use AVG Free Edition as my antivirus, and also have free ZoneAlarm firewall. I think that, as long as you are careful with what you download to your computer or which webpages you open, having (malware) problems with your computers is very controllable.

malu

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of months ago. I reinstalled and am using Office 2000 with no problems, with the exception of a couple of quirks with Outlook. The quirks are not anything major--more annoying than anything--but I refuse to pay more for Office 2007 than it cost me to buy Windows 7. How can an entire OS be so much cheaper than office software?? confused But I'd definitely give it a try if I were you, because I have no problems with it. You can also download a free program (expansion? I'm not sure what to call it) that will let you open and read documents that are saved in the new Office 2007 formats if you are using an older version of Office.

I also use Trend Micro for my anti-virus and like it a lot. It's far less intrusive than Norton's, which drove me crazy.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey this is interesting as I am about to have the same dilemma. I seriously need to upgrade my PC as mine is 10 years old but I also had heard that MS Office 2000 was not compatible with Win 7.

However, I have also heard that Win 7 Pro can simulate Win XP in some way that allows the older software to run. I haven't looked into this yet myself so cannot say it is correct for sure, but I certainly will be looking into it before I change operating system.

As for AV software, I have had Nortons, AVG, Avast and some old one I can't recall the name of and I wouldn't go back to any of them. I now use NOD32 and love it.

Cheers
Elizabeth

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
You actually should be able to open a file in the .docx (Word 2007) format with an older version of Word, if you download and install the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats". To read more about it and to download it (for free), go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

cheers,
Lynn S. M.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Elizabeth wrote:

However, I have also heard that Win 7 Pro can simulate Win XP in some way that allows the older software to run. I haven't looked into this yet myself so cannot say it is correct for sure, but I certainly will be looking into it before I change operating system.
To do this, you would need to run Windows XP Mode in a virtual machine. This would require a free download from Microsoft. To learn more about how to do this, and to get the download, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

cheers,
Lynn S. M.

Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Thank you everyone for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Folcs, as always, rock. smile1

I put the question to the Best Buy Geek Squad (GS)themelves, who said it would not work. However he said that sometime this year MS Office will be releasing either a free or low cost version that will be compatible. Meantime, supposedly there are free trial downloads.

I also asked this question to a very computer savvy Cousin of mine. He told me about something called Openoffice.org. It's free and from my quick gander of it, it seems to be convertible old Word to it? I'll have to read up on it. Certainly would be wonderful if it works. Again all I am wanting is a Word type program.

I am not sure if this should be part of this thread or another but wanted to share a word of warning to anyone buying a new PC, particularly an HP. The one I got yesterday, exchanged today, mad was/is an HP s5310y. Last night after setting it up, establishing my DSL connection, I ran a Trend Micro Scan. (I decided to stick with them for now since the time I still had left was transferable). The Security Scan found 27 NEW viruses! This from a brand new pc. All the viruses were contained with a pre-installed HP Games Folder by Wild Tangent. Trend had even quarantined each of them individually!

As if that was not bad enough, looking at the Security Report, it listed 45 viruses were found in the computer on 2/27, 4 days before I had even bought the darn thing. 72 total viruses, yikes. The reason for my hasty return of it. I have yet to set up the replacement but sure hope it will be fine.

The PC I got today did not already have the Geek Squad Optimization done to it, which I have heard is a rip off. Anyway, the technician removed everything Wild Tangent. He said that it is merely a 60 day free trial of games that HP hopes you will buy. So beware of that.

For now, that's that. I'll try openoffice later and let you know.

Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I've heard decent stuff about openoffice. Supposedly, it's generic Office. All newer versions of that kind of stuff should open older files without any problems and, as others pointed out, there are workarounds for the opposite problem.

If you're happy with Office in general, I don't think it'd hurt to go ahead and try to install it.

And YIKES about the viruses! That's awful!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I also asked this question to a very computer savvy Cousin of mine. He told me about something called Openoffice.org.
OpenOffice is fine if you don't need the more obscure features of Word. It can do a lot more than WordPad, but not as much as Word. Also, the user interface is similar to Word, but different enough to avoid successful "look and feel" lawsuits. That also will mean that there will be a slight (un)learning curve...but it will actually be easier to learn to use OpenOffice than it would Word 2007 if you are used to a prior version of Word. (The various pre-2007 versions of Word all looked more-or-less alike, but 2007 has a very different feel to it. It is much more intuitive to use than the older versions for those just getting started, but it does take some un- and re-learning to folks who have used the prior versions.)

cheers,
Lynn S. M.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
It is much more intuitive to use than the older versions for those just getting started, but it does take some un- and re-learning to folks who have used the prior versions.)
I still catch myself trying to find stuff and I've had it for a couple years now... :p

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
CarolM wrote:

quote:Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
It is much more intuitive to use than the older versions for those just getting started, but it does take some un- and re-learning to folks who have used the prior versions.)

I still catch myself trying to find stuff and I've had it for a couple years now... [Razz]
In RL, I teach computer-related courses; among them is one on MS Office. It probably took me a good half year before I stopped trying to use the non-existent menus in all of the apps, and before I went to the right side of the status bar to launch a slide show in PowerPoint. I noticed that the first semester or two that I taught the course with 2007, the students who had NO Office experience tended to outperform those that knew an older version.

Now that I am used to the newer version, I do prefer it. The transition was interesting, though.

And just think, Office 2010 is coming out soon...

cheers,
Lynn S. M.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:

And just think, Office 2010 is coming out soon...
Think I'll stick with 07 for a while wink .

I could see how those who had no Office experience to unlearn would do better. My MIL who is NOT computer savvy at all and could manage with it for work, HATES [still] 07. Whines even today about 'why'd they have to change it'. Of course, she likes just about everything to STAY THE SAME! wink

Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Thanks, Lynn. I'm afraid you lost me a little in some of your pc-speak but the gist seems to be that because I'm used to older Word and don't need it for anything "fancy" Open Office would work fine, perhaps easier and better than paying $149 for MS Office 7? Again all I really want is a Word type program. FYI, I used Word 2000. I still have the CD of it but am hesitant to try it out...

Carol, I'm sorry your...not sure what "MIL" stands for, but whoever you know is having MS Office '07 issues. I generally prefer older versions of things, certainly foods myself.

I can always try O.O and see what it's like. I wouldn't want to like buy MS '07 only to a few weeks later be informed 2010 version was out, that would stink bigtime.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Mother-in-law =D.

Yeah - I wouldn't buy 07 right now unless you got a really good deal on it [like sale when 10 comes out]. There should still be support/updates for several years yet [like support for 00 just ended last summer].

I like 07 now that I'm used to it, but it took a while smile . Will have to wait and see what 10 is like.

Carol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard