Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay Spanish speakers...

I have Googled the word 'Mevendia' and it shows up on a few pages in Spanish. However, running it through translators [the online type in the word it gives you a translation ones and the 'translate this page' on Google] comes up with no translations.

Any ideas?

TIA smile
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's be awhile, but I think you need to look under "vendar". It's a verb. The me is the person of the verb. I get "I bandage myself" or "I blindfold myself" or I put a blindfold on. Venda is a blindfold or bandage. When you conjugate the verb, you get the "dia" ending.
Hope this helps.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Artemis,

You've got the right idea, but the wrong verb.

Vendar conjugates as vendaba.

Vender = to sell

Me vendia (accent on the i) = He/she sold me [something].

Depending on usage, could also mean "he would sell me [something]", "he wanted to/tried to sell me [something]", etc.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hmm...

So it's not one word but more likely someone not being careful with a boards post [i think that's where all of them were...]

So possibly not a good name for a fake country... :p

That's what I was going to use it for... So anyone who has a flash of brilliance for a fake country name... wink

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, vender! Well, I said I was rusty! Actually, a blindfolded country might not be too bad a name! huh huh
:p
Artemis

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Carol, it would help if we knew where said country is supposed to be located.
South America would be very different from Asia or Europe. A former USSR country would be easiest, just have it end in -tan like Kusmekistan. wink \

Natascha

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Hehe - more western European a la Genovia in Princess Diaries [as opposed to Latislan of L/C fame...]

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Western Europe, huh? Do you want it Spanish, French, German, or Italian? I'm guessing from the Genovia reference you're going for some mini-country that's stuck between those actually wellknown around, well, at least, Europe?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Yeah - something sort of Monaco-ish [from the insanely little I know about Monaco besides Grace Kelly...].

Random little pretend country like Genovia...

It just needs a name...

But it's the series [yes series!!] that started with my nano novel and it not necessary until book 4 [though it might be kinda fun to mention it in passing in one or more of the others...]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Luxenland?
Swisenfranc?
Gamborgia?
Genevoria?
Copenlagen?
Balkanvaria?

cool
Artemis

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Why not pull one of the country names from "Princess Bride" and use it? Gilder or Gilderland?

Or use a real country's name from its native language, like Espania (spelled wrong, I know!) instead of Spain?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Well, because it's kind of like Genovia in the sense that I want to be able to use people and places that don't exist in real life. No, Queen Grandma doesn't show up to tell the girl she's really a long lost princess, but I do want to do stuff with the royal family etc and create my own little world, you know?

Do you know how long it's been since I saw Princess Bride? Will have to see about sticking it on my next 'I need a few more dollars to get free shipping' Amazon order wink .

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay... Genovia always reminded me of Geneva. You're looking for a hint of Monaco, too. Maybe something with 'Monte' in front of it? Maybe 'Monte Franko'? Or Franaco. Monice? Monicia? (Pronounced like Nice, the city.)

Hope this helps.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Later on this morning I realized I always liked the name Belgravia. It's a district in London that oozes posh.
cool
Artemis

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like "Pontevedro" from "The Merry Widow" - but that was a fictional Balkan country.

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Yeah - can't use an already used fictional country as it's OF and I'd like to get it published someday...

Still pondering but trying to get finals done... :p

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi carolm!

Spanish speaker here, only I'm not sure I understand what do you want?

I name for a fake country that's suppose to be spanish or be a name in spanish? Does it have to end in 'evia'?

I think to come up with a spanish-sounding fake country it be useful to know what this country represents or which character is from this country...don't know if I'm of much help :rolleyes:

Carolyn smile

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Carolyn -

Mevendia is the name I had come up with for the fake country and when I googled it a few sites came up in Spanish so I wondered what it meant.

The name doesn't need to be Spanish or anything else - just trying to come up with something cool sounding. It'll be a fake Western Europeanish country and that's about all I got so far...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, tough one. Vallenia? Torreland? Not sure if they even sound europeanish...

Carolyn peep

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.
Top Banana
Top Banana
If you like the sound of "Mevendia", why not just use that? Although "me vendia" (with an accent on the i) means something in Spanish, and would be an odd name for a country, "Mevendia" doesn't mean a thing. It's not even pronounced the same (due to the lack of an accent mark). So, if you like it, use it; it's as good a made-up name for a country as any.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard