Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I know that several FoLCs are on LJ or other, similar networking sites. You may or may not have heard of Dreamwidth - similar to LiveJournal, but with upgraded code, no ads, and a commitment to very hands-on maintenence. The biggest plus, for me, is the extended entry limits (LJ only allows 64k per post - Dreamwidth is easily double that) and comment limits. The no-ads commitment does mean that it's a bit more expensive than LJ, but free accounts are available as well.

There are some things in their diversity statement that I don't... entirely agree with, but I can safely ignore that. smile

Anyway, Dreamwidth is currently in closed beta while they get the kinks worked out. There are two ways to join - either by paying one month's worth ($3 USD) and allowing it to revert to basic when the month is up, or by getting an invite code from someone who already has an account.

I don't know if FoLCs have much interest in this, although I've seen Hatman over there (waves). Personally speaking, I'm sticking to LJ and my happy little corner of SG-1 fandom there, although I am using my Dreamwidth account too. I've also created a second account there for archiving my old LnC fic because, well, why not? smile

Anyway, to make a long story short, I've just gotten two invite codes under my hazelrah account. I also have a few spares from my SG-1 account. I'd rather give those codes to friends than to strangers, so - anybody interested? If so, comment here with your e-mail address (or e-mail me at ihazel [at] yahoo [dot] com) and I'll send you an invite.

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
/thinks she has a Dreamwidth account but really just duct tapes Hazel to the boards!/

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I had no idea you were on LJ, Hazel! I've seen a lot of hype and fuss around about Dreamwidth, and a lot of my LJ friends also got DW accounts. Personally, I'm happy with LJ (and I also have a permanent account), so I'm staying put - also, my fan communities and friends are all on LJ, so that suits me just fine.

I did notice that DW's prices are higher for paid accounts, userpic addons and so on. Yes, there are a couple of things that look slightly better - and I wonder how long it'll take LJ to match the posting size and other things like that.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thanks, Carol! But I'm afraid that even the power of duct tape has its limits. wink

Yes, I do agree, Wendy - lots of fuss, lots of hype. Part of this is because one of the owners/creators is active in fandom herself, I think.

It may be that Dreamwidth will just turn out to be another InsaneJournal or GreatestJournal or Journalfen, with few people making the switch from LJ fandom. But I think it really does have staying power, because DW is built upon customer satisfaction to make a profit, rather than advertising or the like.

Also, those extended entry lengths are really, really useful. smile I run a more-or-less quarterly mini-ficathon, and the last one took place shortly after DW went into closed beta. It was an absolute pleasure to be able to archive all 26 ficlets in a single entry! By contrast, on LJ, I have to excerpt longer fics and link to their owners' own LJs for the rest of the story.

I'm not leaving LJ - I like my corner of fandom too much - but I do see Dreamwidth as potentially being a real success. So those codes are still available, if anyone wants them!

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard