Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow, CC!!

I don't know how I never saw this coming. This is a sequel to When The World Finds Out! goofy

I love it! Coming full circle! And now I see the significance of the bakery! goofy
Clark Superman Kent Stalls In Front of Deli.' "I was waiting to buy my wife a bagel," he was heard to whine as he was led away...
mecry

How can you leave us here???

Hurry back!!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes!

This is the five page epilogue to WtWFO I never posted. And you see what happened to it? I left it alone in the file, in the dark, and before I knew it...

CC

edit: Helga's kind of right. I guess it's more of a prequel than an epilogue now, isn't it?

Also, the deli and the bakery! Holy cow, Wendy, I never made that connection. I think this means I'm hung up on carbs, of which I eat very little... so I'm hungry a lot<g>.

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Don't you mean prequel Wendy? <g>

Time travel is very confusing.

I'm loving this, lots. Have I mentioned that already?

And at some point in the near future I'm going to have to re-read When the World Finds out....

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
How could you ever have told this story in five pages??? goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whee!

I mean, er, poor Petal et al. Yeah. That was it.

Aw, forget it. Whee! goofy
Before that, it was used by a more than a few criminals, though none of them with the flare of the original."
I believe you meant "flair" there... I can't make up my mind if this is the area beneath the museum where Lex kept all his treasures, or where Lex's kid whatever-his-name-is and Lex himself took Lois. Either way, Tempus himself would approve of the irony of LnC's kids utilizing Evil Villain Lairs (tm) for their own privacy. wink

...aha, I see from Wendy's comments that it's from last year's superlative story. It all makes sense now. smile
I think if I know too much, if you start issuing warnings, once I get back, that will make it all the harder to just... do it."

"What do you mean?" Silas was clearly intrigued. "To just do what?"

"Be Superman. Or be the Superman everyone seems convinced I am."
Wow wow wow wow wow. CC, with those few simple sentences you summed up all the delicious paradoxes of time travel so neatly. Powerful angst of the good kind. You go, girl! goofy

And poor Silas. He gently helps Clark talk himself through an identity crisis and ends up with one of his own! laugh

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Top Banana
Top Banana
How could you ever have told this story in five pages???[/
The five pages were just an interview set ten years into the future of WtWFO. Lois and Clark talking about the first post-revelation years.

Anyway, the interview was to run on a continuous loop in Utopia's Superman museum- which was considerably less tacky than what it grew into for this story- so that kids on field trips could view it, along with tourists, students of history, etc...

It was Lois and Clark setting the record straight, since they knew once they were gone they would be unable to control the legends and myths which might spring up about them.

However, I really felt that story ended pretty neatly and happily. They were in a good place, so I never posted it. At Labrat and Lynn's urging, I didn't delete it. And thus a long story (much like these comments) is born from something really short.

Molehills into mountains.

And I'm going away now. I promise.

edit: Ok. I'm back, but it's much later!

Wanted to add that I didn't want a reader who hadn't read WtWFO to feel they were missing much of anything in that scene. If they were as confused and curious as Clark, then they were on the same page with him, and that totally works for me. If they happened to recognize the setting and what Silas was referencing, that was merely a bonus. Definitely don't need to have read one fic to read the other.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, CC. I don't know how you do it. In each and every part of this story, I find something absolutely brilliant that just makes me stop and go, "Wow. I never would have thought of that, but it's absolutely perfect!" Sometimes, that happens two, three, or even more times in a single part.

This time, it was Lois's thoughts on her role in history, her thoughts on the nature of Utopia (basically, that whole section), and the conversation between Silas and Clark (again, the whole section). Brilliant, in every way.

I have not been this impressed with a single story (or author) since I discovered Terry Pratchett.

I am a little confused by what happened with Hank, Petal, and Tempus (and it took me a while to get it straight that even though they're standing just on the other side of the portal we last saw them go through, this scene is their return to that portal and not an immediate continuation), but I'm sure that'll be explained next part. (Not sure if anyone else had that problem. I'm running very short on sleep right now, so it's really easy for me to miss an obvious clue here and there.)

Oh, and thanks for explaining about WtWFO. I'm seriously behind on my reading these days (a story or two on the boards and a book for bedtime is about all I can manage right now), so I haven't actually read that story. I understood enough from the scene to get something of the significance, but knowing that the rest of that story is explained elsewhere does help.

Now, here's a quick question. One that may have been asked before. Everyone in the museum was startled by how much Lois looks like Lois. When she walked into the bakery, though, no one batted an eye. I'm not sure what to make of that. No one would expect to see her there (a concept very important to Clark), and there are impersonators out there, not to mention family members. The bakery people were also kind of flustered by Lois's demands. Still, in the whole time they were sitting there, no one commented at all. Did they not notice? Was it just Utopian politeness? Any thoughts?

(I'm hoping, BTW, that in addition to locks, the bakery has something along the lines of security cameras.)

On another note... Lois's thoughts on announcing themselves seem very intriguing. If only one of them had some kind of easily visible and recognizable brightly colored outfit, and maybe some unusual way to draw attention to it. Preferably in a way that wouldn't overly startle or panic the citizenry, but which would invite the curiousity of the right people. Something which would make them smile and wave, for example, while still being newsworthy. (If there is still news in Utopia.) ... Oh well. It was a thought.

No, wait. One more question. I keep finding myself confused by these mentions of people coming from outside Utopia. From Wells, I'd gotten the impression that Utopia was planet-wide. I'm not really sure I can see a sheltered community like this existing in anything but an all but self-contained area. That means either a small remote spot or an entire planet. Certainly not a single city with popular tourist attractions. So... how big is Utopia, give or take?

Anyway, that's all for now. Another excellent part, CC. Can't wait to see the next one!

Paul

EDIT to respond to CC's edit:

Wanted to add that I didn't want a reader who hadn't read WtWFO to feel they were missing much of anything in that scene. If they were as confused and curious as Clark, then they were on the same page with him, and that totally works for me. If they happened to recognize the setting and what Silas was referencing, that was merely a bonus. Definitely don't need to have read one fic to read the other.
Yes, that's exactly how I feel. Sorry I didn't properly articulate that. Meant to, forgot. Or something. Good to hear it confirmed, especially from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Sure, I'd like to go back and read that story, among others. Realistically speaking, I'm not sure when it'll happen. Meantime, yeah, I figure I'm in the same boat as Clark, which is never a bad place to be. I'm just glad to know that there is an explanation out there available to me when I'm ready for it. Makes the scene better and it means I won't have to go wondering about a seeming loose end. Clark and I will both find out in due time. smile

P.S. Just a thought: Maybe you want to include a little note about this at the end of the archive version? That way, it wouldn't spoil the surprise for readers who have read the other story, but it would also make things clearer for those who haven't.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow I started a feedback folder, went to quote something, and found out the I was beaten to the bunch (I'm on vacation, it's raining in CT...what to do? Read the MBs, of course!)

Wow I really didn't see that coming either. Holy Cow! *This* was originally 5 pages???? HA HA

I found a kind-of-reference to this story in When the World Finds Out (which I hadn't read in the archive edition until today - I read it when it was posted. You added some really great stuff to the archive edition, CC)
What was it that the peacemakers got, Lois thought, not for the first
time, as she took in her dark-eyed daughter. It wasn't the earth, that
went to the meek. She felt a twinge of resentment at that. What would
the meek do with it? But the peacemakers...? She really needed to look
that up.
Well, we have our next Superman. What happened with Tempus? MY feeling is that Petal and Hank found his remains (finally the predators decided to look into the cave!)

Will they return to the correct time and place??? Or will the time temporal displacement thingy foul them up?

Stayed tuned for Thursday (DRAT!)

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Why do I get the feeling that *what's left* of Tempus is in that bag Hank is carrying, and that's why he's so worried about Elise?

Excellent thought on Lois' part, that the Peacekeepers are looking for them and all she and Clark need to do is make themselves known somehow.

Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow.

I need to say that again. Wow.

CC, this story is just so awesome and incredibly brilliant that I don't have words for it. Every time I think that I can anticipate what's going to happen next, you twist me around and send me in another direction.

When I saw Wendy's feedback title, I assumed that this was where someone "in the know" would find out that they were there. And when Lois had one of her epiphanies in the library, I was sure of it. It wouldn't have surprised me to see her rush out of the building, stand in the middle of the street and yell "Help, Superman!!" He, of course, would come without thinking, and presumably someone would see this most unusual occurrence. After all, there may be lots of imposters walking around, but can any of them fly?

But no, you moved back to Clark and Silas underground. And I assumed (there's that word again) that they were in the wine cellar from HoL, and I was so anxious to find out what was going to happen next that I read *too fast*. I missed all the clues that were there. Ballroom (used more than once!). Gold Paneling. Tapestry. Hidden compartment. wallbash So when Silas actually started talking about the party, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Awesome. And even though you hadn't planned the symmetry about the bakery, pretend you did. It's terrific. It's too bad that the bakery can't actually be THE bagel place, but since that one was in NY...

And did I see it coming that Silas would actually be a throwback, rather than just having a few "slightly" enhanced abilities? No. wallbash again. And you've left clues about that all over the place too, now that I think about it. I guess I had my head buried in the sand deeper than poor Silas.

But now that he and Clark have had this great talk, I think he'll be able to step up to the plate.

Man, I love this.

Kathy

{P.S. CC, we've threatened you before about not posting your epilogues. Well, I'm willing to take that back, as long as you promise to take every and every one of those epilogues and turn them into more magnificent stories - prequels, sequels, who cares - I'll be perfectly satisfied. smile }

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"I'm not going to cry," she said, lifting her chin. Just in case he thought she might.

"That makes one of us, then," he returned softly.

"If no one minds," Silas said from behind them, "I'm just going to curl up and sob like a baby."
dance Yes! Yes! Yes! They're looking for you! You're all in the same damn city!

Huh, so Lois and Tempus really aren't that different after all. Lois would hate Utopia. Well, wouldn't most of us? As I type this, I'm currently preaching to my friend Matt about how things happen for a reason, and we have to learn from our mistakes and struggles, etc etc. What's there to learn from a...perfect world?

Ah, and Junior finally realizes that Clark's just Joe Regular with super powers. None of this god on a pedestal, higher power, greater good stuff. Interesting how everyone seemed to think that Clark always knew how to be Superman, knew what he was supposed to do in life, blah blah blah. Oh well.

Ok, I think I'm done for now. I may have another earful or two to say after I get back from the gym.

I'm back; I haven't even made it to the gym yet, and I have to comment, omg. I knew the Silas' reference to the future sounded familiar, I just hadn't a clue where it came from until I read Wendy's post. Duh! But that's so cool. Oh, 5 pages? Haha.

Is it Thursday yet?
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh CC I love, love, LOVE you! shock

~Liz

ETA:
What's there to learn from a...perfect world?
so true Jen!

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, CC. I don't know how you do it.
Pretty much sums up my thought processes, except for...what the heck are you feeding your muse and how do I get some???

I love that you pinned those two stories together, it's a great setting and brought everything you wrote in the first one flooding back.

Remember in WTWFO, Clark was reading articles about the evil media's response to his offspring...HIS BABIES you wrote. Well that's why I think he's really motivated in this particular instance, not that he's not always motivated to help, but he REALLY HAS to this time, his babies are counting on him.

And now Silas is getting a taste of the responsibility...I love this for reasons I can't express in writing.

Your story ROCKS, CC!!! thumbsup

TEEEEEEEJ <GREEEEEEN with envy> laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
There are no comments unsaid, no superlatives unuttered. Just take what everyone above said, and copy that.

And now that I know that this started with a mere seed of five pages, I can never complain that any segment of this spectacular fic is too short again! laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Kerth
Kerth
Only three parts? eek

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Top Banana
Top Banana
Now if you really want to make things queasy, you could make Tempus a family member. Since he and Lois think somewhat alike, I'd guess he's on the Lane side.

After all, we all have black sheep in the familyl!

(But then, he'd cease to exist, because without Lois & Clark getting together, he wouldn't be alive...HMMM...forget that idea!)

After re-reading WTWFO again (yes I'm bored -vacation and it's raining and 40 degrees in CT -ick!- and I read REALLY fast - ) it occurs to me that in STM, Luthor had that great underground Lair near the subways.....

overly ornate and garish.... forgot about that...

Now, the bakery....you *can* turn it into a deli for the archives, you know. A full-service deli that even sells Bear Claws!!I mean, in your story, you even say:

“No kidding,” she said. “What does bakery mean, Junior?”

“A store for baked goods.”

“Of course. Why am I even surprised? What else would you people have but peaceful pastries, serene bagels , éclairs of tranquility?”
There's no FANFIC law against that. It could be an exact replica of the deli in NY that Clark bought Lois' bagel in. Just a thought...

You gotta post the next part, CC...or I'm going to have to clean out my closets and straighten out my spare room!!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Smooth. Really smooth.
I'm in awe
hail hail hail
gerry

Columnist
Columnist
I love this part CC!!!! thumbsup

I can´t wait to read the next one

karla

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
wow! shock

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard