Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Susan Boyle has become an overnight singing sensation after her performance on reality show, Britain's Got Talent.

Not least because as she's not exactly a conventional beauty she was laughed at by the audience and sniggered at by the judges before she began.

But, boy, did she knock them into touch with her rendition of I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miz.

So enjoy - and be inspired! As Susan proves, it's never too late to live your dream. thumbsup

Susan Boyle

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Today show had her on a clip from the "Britain's Got Talent" show this morning. Since we know Simon Cowell well, they used the "Simon was amazed/dumbfounded" hook. Her voice is remarkable and I thought it was a really great lesson in beauty not being required on the outside for amazing talent. America is sooo obsessed with looks these days.
It reminds me of the British man who sang opera so well.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes, I saw (and heard!) Susan and loved her, too.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
Me and my hormones totally cried when I saw the first time, and then put the link on my Facebook and made everyone I know watch it. I love a happy ending.

Her voice is truly amazing, and having sung songs from "Les Mis" in high-school choir, the range on "I Dreamed a Dream" makes her feat even more impressive. Sniff.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Kerth
Kerth
I just had a look at the vid, and I think it was amazing. Even better than Paul Potts (who wanted only to sing opera). Btw, Paul even is featured in a spot of the German Telekom .

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
My husband just showed me this; she was amazing!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I saw the news article on CNN and then went to YouTube to watch the full clip. I, too, thought she was amazing. (And my hormones are on the downhill, middle-age wane, but I also had tears in my eyes.)

As I watched and listened, I thought: she has two talents. She's an absolutely wonderful singer, but she also handled the initial reactions from everyone with grace and humor. That takes class.

I will be showing this video clip to my Girl Scout troop on Friday. It's not only a beautiful lesson on outward versus inner beauty, it's a treat to hear such talent.

I wish good things for Susan Boyle, and I hope that she also has the... Not sure what word I want, but I hope she's protected from anyone who may want to try to take advantage of her.

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I hope that she also has the... Not sure what word I want, but I hope she's protected from anyone who may want to try to take advantage of her.
The more I hear about Susan Boyle the more impressed I become. To have such confidence after leading the sheltered life she has is remarkable.

From the various interviews she's been giving here and in the US this week, it's becoming clearer by the minute that she's well able to take care of herself and although obviously thoroughly enjoying herself and flabbergasted by her sudden success and fame isn't bowled over to the point where she's overwhelmed.

I think Simon Cowell's comment about her being 'a little tiger' wasn't that far off the mark. laugh

Rumour has it that Simon Cowell is already negotiating to sign her to his record label.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Very inspiring. smile

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow. A Scottish tabloid got hold of what's apparently the only recording Susan's done so far. A rendition of Cry Me A River for a small charity CD, back in 1999.

If you thought she was good on BGT, check this out. Talk about smouldering! eek All I can say is how on earth did a talent like this stay buried this long?

Cry Me A River

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That video is by far the most inspirational thing I have seen in a very, very long time. I think it's the perfect pick-me-upper, especially given how dreary things are nowadays. I love the humility that comes across her face, like she didn't really know if she would make it.

More importantly, I think this video, and this story, highlights how first impressions and stereotypes can prevent you from seeing the really good stuff and the inner beauty inside.

I hope she does well, and I echo what people have said, I hope she's not taken advantage of.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. Thanks for posting that link to the Record, Rat - that is an amazing recording. Certainly shows - not that anyone thought it - that her performance on BGT was no fluke.

I see that the official BGT video on YouTube has now had over 34 million views, and other videos of her on BGT have also had several million views. She is a worldwide sensation!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
They called her the "voice of an angel." Couldn't have called her any better, if I was in charge of her title. Truly inspirational! (Especially when you are not vocally endowed, but enjoy those who are.) It doesn't take hormones to make tears pop into the eyes.

Pat

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All I can say is how on earth did a talent like this stay buried this long?
I read an article online today (might have been a Glasgow paper) that said she's spent her life taking care of her ill mother. Definitely inspirational; caring for someone else is more important than a singing career. Still, now that she's finished with that season of her life I hope the next is one of more public success..

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! I was so impressed with her talent. She must have been preparing for this moment her whole life; I'm glad she is finally getting her chance. I wish her well with her career.

I'll second everything said about her personality as well. This is a woman who knows who she is. I think it would be so easy to be swept away by the fame and fortune of instant success, but it looks like she is level-headed enough to withstand the pressures and stay true to herself.

Bravo!
clap

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard