Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Simona Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi FoLC!

I really need your help: I have to edit a text in English, and I need an online (free!)english dictionary with division into syllables! Do you know a good one?
Also I need to know how you english people use the capital letter: it's "Admiral Achille Brughiera" or "admiral Achille Brughiera"? "Chief of Customs Dr. Martignetti" or "chief of Customs dr. Martignetti"? "Count Cheloni" or "count Cheloni"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Simona smile

Kerth
Kerth
I'm not a native, but after what I observed, I'd say all your examples should be capitalized. Of course 'the admiral' in general is still lower case. If you address Admiral Achille Brughiera, 'Admiral' is once again capitalized.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, titles and offices are capitalized.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
For online dictionaries, m-w.com and dictionary.com should have what you need.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Simona Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
thank you ladies! You're great! smile1
This on line dictionary is just what I need for syllables division, and about the capital letters: I *thought* this was the right thing to do, but in italian titles and offices are not capitalized ("ammiraglio Achille Brughiera", "dottor Rossi", or "papa Benedetto XVI"), so they didn't *look* right, you know?
Again, thank you!

Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'd also like to point out that this:

Dr. Martignetti

can also be this:

Dr Martignetti

The difference is that in American English, we still use the period after Dr. That period has mostly fallen out of favor in British English so Dr would be correct. (Thank you Chris Carr for educating me about this. smile )

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard