Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Simona Need help editing english text - 03/08/09 03:49 PM
Hi FoLC!

I really need your help: I have to edit a text in English, and I need an online (free!)english dictionary with division into syllables! Do you know a good one?
Also I need to know how you english people use the capital letter: it's "Admiral Achille Brughiera" or "admiral Achille Brughiera"? "Chief of Customs Dr. Martignetti" or "chief of Customs dr. Martignetti"? "Count Cheloni" or "count Cheloni"?

Thank you very much for your help!

Simona smile
Posted By: Lara Joelle Kent Re: Need help editing english text - 03/08/09 04:23 PM
I'm not a native, but after what I observed, I'd say all your examples should be capitalized. Of course 'the admiral' in general is still lower case. If you address Admiral Achille Brughiera, 'Admiral' is once again capitalized.
Posted By: Artemis Re: Need help editing english text - 03/08/09 05:55 PM
Yes, titles and offices are capitalized.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: Karen Re: Need help editing english text - 03/08/09 06:47 PM
For online dictionaries, m-w.com and dictionary.com should have what you need.
Posted By: Simona Re: Need help editing english text - 03/09/09 02:24 AM
thank you ladies! You're great! smile1
This on line dictionary is just what I need for syllables division, and about the capital letters: I *thought* this was the right thing to do, but in italian titles and offices are not capitalized ("ammiraglio Achille Brughiera", "dottor Rossi", or "papa Benedetto XVI"), so they didn't *look* right, you know?
Again, thank you!

Simona smile
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Need help editing english text - 03/11/09 12:00 AM
I'd also like to point out that this:

Dr. Martignetti

can also be this:

Dr Martignetti

The difference is that in American English, we still use the period after Dr. That period has mostly fallen out of favor in British English so Dr would be correct. (Thank you Chris Carr for educating me about this. smile )
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards