Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215967 03/24/08 10:15 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
So, my roommate just got himself a pretty spiffy Laptop, and he's asking about any free ant-hacker software.

Now, me, I could do a search and probably come up with something, but I wouldn't know what's good and what isn't.

So... anyone know about anything?

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#215968 03/24/08 10:36 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I don't know how much help this is, but I would check CNET.com, they have comprehensive reviews (I don't know what's 'hot' right now in terms of protection software). Someone else might give you more specific info.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#215969 03/24/08 10:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
AVG. We have it here at work and its free and works great. Not a computer hog like Norton and some of those other anti-virus softwares.

Labby uses it too.

I have absolutely no complaints about AVG.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215970 03/24/08 11:29 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Check that it has a firewall enabled. The Windows XP one works but isn't brilliant, there are plenty of alternatives.

Also check that it is up to date with service patches etc.

The page below offers a list of various free utilities that should have any security capability you need.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

If it's a Mac there's much less need for this stuff, but check Apple's site for utilities if you're feeling paranoid.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#215971 03/24/08 12:48 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Labby uses it too.
Yup, and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's never given me a moment's trouble in all the years I've been using it and just works away quietly in the background, getting on with things. It updates automatically every day, too. Best program I ever encountered and absolutely free.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#215972 03/24/08 05:22 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Kaspersky Internet Security has been doing well for me over the last several months.

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
#215973 03/24/08 07:05 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I have ZoneAlarm firewall (free edition), AVG AntiVirus (free edition) and also AVG Anti-Spyware and LavaSoft Ad-Aware 2007 (both free).

ZoneAlarm firewall
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
AVG Anti-Spyware
LavaSoft Ad-Aware 2007

Do you see a theme here? laugh

I haven't had any problems with viruses, trojan horses, spyware, etc., for a long time (that I am aware of).

I run the anti-virus and anti-spyware at least once every two weeks just to make sure.

ZoneAlarm can be a little annoying in the beginning, with all the warnings about new programs accessing the Internet, but then it slows down significantly and just keeps working in the background, keeping my laptop a little bit safer. smile

malu

#215974 03/24/08 07:33 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I use AdAware , Spybot S&D , and Spyware Blaster , in conjunction with the McAfee suite (firewall, antivirus, etc) that my ISP provides. And the firewall built in to my router. With all that, I haven't had a problem in years.

But that link Marcus posted looks interesting to me. I'm going to have to try out some of those programs...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#215975 03/25/08 02:54 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for those links, malu - I wasn't aware that AVG had that second program.

The most annoying thing about ZoneAlarm for me is the hassle it takes to update whenever it sends you a reminder to do so. I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time having to click through options that I don't want as they take the opportunity to try and sell me other products. Irritates the heck out of me. But apart from that, it's another hassle-free program for me. Does the job nicely, doesn't cost anything.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard