Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Catherine Bruce Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 02:15 PM
So, my roommate just got himself a pretty spiffy Laptop, and he's asking about any free ant-hacker software.

Now, me, I could do a search and probably come up with something, but I wouldn't know what's good and what isn't.

So... anyone know about anything?
Posted By: alcyone Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 02:36 PM
I don't know how much help this is, but I would check CNET.com, they have comprehensive reviews (I don't know what's 'hot' right now in terms of protection software). Someone else might give you more specific info.

alcyone
Posted By: stephnachia Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 02:39 PM
AVG. We have it here at work and its free and works great. Not a computer hog like Norton and some of those other anti-virus softwares.

Labby uses it too.

I have absolutely no complaints about AVG.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 03:29 PM
Check that it has a firewall enabled. The Windows XP one works but isn't brilliant, there are plenty of alternatives.

Also check that it is up to date with service patches etc.

The page below offers a list of various free utilities that should have any security capability you need.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

If it's a Mac there's much less need for this stuff, but check Apple's site for utilities if you're feeling paranoid.
Posted By: LabRat Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 04:48 PM
Labby uses it too.
Yup, and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's never given me a moment's trouble in all the years I've been using it and just works away quietly in the background, getting on with things. It updates automatically every day, too. Best program I ever encountered and absolutely free.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Michael Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 09:22 PM
Kaspersky Internet Security has been doing well for me over the last several months.
Posted By: malu Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 11:05 PM
I have ZoneAlarm firewall (free edition), AVG AntiVirus (free edition) and also AVG Anti-Spyware and LavaSoft Ad-Aware 2007 (both free).

ZoneAlarm firewall
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
AVG Anti-Spyware
LavaSoft Ad-Aware 2007

Do you see a theme here? laugh

I haven't had any problems with viruses, trojan horses, spyware, etc., for a long time (that I am aware of).

I run the anti-virus and anti-spyware at least once every two weeks just to make sure.

ZoneAlarm can be a little annoying in the beginning, with all the warnings about new programs accessing the Internet, but then it slows down significantly and just keeps working in the background, keeping my laptop a little bit safer. smile

malu
Posted By: HatMan Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/24/08 11:33 PM
I use AdAware , Spybot S&D , and Spyware Blaster , in conjunction with the McAfee suite (firewall, antivirus, etc) that my ISP provides. And the firewall built in to my router. With all that, I haven't had a problem in years.

But that link Marcus posted looks interesting to me. I'm going to have to try out some of those programs...
Posted By: LabRat Re: Anti-Hacker Software? - 03/25/08 06:54 AM
Thanks for those links, malu - I wasn't aware that AVG had that second program.

The most annoying thing about ZoneAlarm for me is the hassle it takes to update whenever it sends you a reminder to do so. I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time having to click through options that I don't want as they take the opportunity to try and sell me other products. Irritates the heck out of me. But apart from that, it's another hassle-free program for me. Does the job nicely, doesn't cost anything.

LabRat smile
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards