Next Thread
Print Thread
#215663 03/06/08 07:07 PM
C
Kerth
OP Online Content
Kerth
C
I was in a book shop last night and they had a book on famous aircraft carriers and submarines well they had a few of the famous ones (and omitted the Japanese fleet in Midway), but one they had placed in it was the Bismarck. mad The book is made for kids and you are teaching them that the Bismarck was an aircraft carrier? It was a battleship people not an aircraft carrier! How did the publishers not pick up that it was such an obvious mistake.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#215664 03/07/08 02:17 PM
Blogger
Blogger
its amazing what gets published incorrectly today. if you think about it when is the last time that you can remember seeing the massive killings of the indians in a history book? all you read about is how we gave them land for reservations.
i understand your anger

oh so thats the plan from out great leader hu? just sit here on our butts!
#215665 03/07/08 02:27 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Cashley! Hee hee. So glad you posted. Everyone meet my friend Cashley. We're good friends in RL. laugh

Oh and lovin the sig'. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Rock! wink

Sorry to get off subject. That is crazy that the book had that incorrect info. Do you think that maybe there was a Bismarck that was an air craft carrier, just not as well known as the battleship? huh Don't know. I'm grasping at straws here...

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215666 03/07/08 09:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's quite possible that the American aircraft carrier USS Bismarck Sea isn't popular enough to be recognized today because it was sunk not even a year after it was launched - I for one didn't know of the ship but there was already enough World War 1 and 2 history of Europe to learn here in Europe wink

Add some inconsistencies in (maybe) not addressing the ship correctly ("Bismarck" vs "USS Bismarck Sea") and the fact that there were two German Bismarck-class battleships called "Bismarck" and "Tirpitz" .. and you've got plenty of confusion.

Both "Bismarck" and "Tirpitz" were German ships in the Atlantic Ocean (and Tirpitz later in the Norwegian Sea) and this should make the distinction fairly easy, because the American "USS Bismarck Sea" has always been in the Pacific Ocean and was sunk south of Japan.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard