Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215645 03/05/08 04:36 AM
Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
My best friend and I are both martial artists and on the road to a black belt. I, in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do (a mixed martial art, the type I'm doing contains a lot of muy thai kickboxing, escrima/kali, and jiu-jistu), and her in Karate.

Because we do different styles we have a lot of fun comparing them. Hers is more of a traditional martial art and her school is a little more strict, while mine is a hybrid and my school is more laid back.

So, I was wondering if anyone else here practices any type of martial art. I thought it would be fun for us to talk shop. wink

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
#215646 03/05/08 05:45 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice! I'm on the errr on-ramp to a black belt LOL. Maybe the turning lane to the on-ramp. I do Tae Kwon Do, but I threw out my knee over the summer, and then grad studies put everything on hold...I may just have to wait till I get my next job so I can try and craft some kind of predictable schedule that allows for practices...anyway, I'm very traditional. I'll roundhouse kick all day with a happy smile!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#215647 03/05/08 05:49 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
hmm ... does it count when I say that I did practice Karate until 3 years ago? I stopped at the 7th Kyu (orange) because we got a new trainer and I just couldn't (still can't) stand that man :rolleyes:

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
#215648 03/05/08 06:04 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Does it count that I've watched a billion girl power fighting television shows (Buffy, Alias, Xena, etc.) and practice some cool kicks when I'm being goofy. Sometimes I think I've watched those shows so often that I could totally defend myself if it came down to it.

When I was brushing my teeth at my parents house one time, my brother jumped into the bathroom and yelled boo to scare me and my first reaction was a karate kick right to his chest. Ha! He was stunned. Of course I was only 7 at the time but I like to think that my instincts have only been perfected with age. laugh

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215649 03/05/08 06:55 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Up until a few years ago, I practiced ju jitsu. I have a yo-kyu (4th kyu) in Dan Zan Ryu ju-jitsu and one in judo. I also studied karate for about six months while in my twenties but had to quit because I became pregnant. My husband has a sandan (3rd degree black belt) in Ju-jitsu and a ni-kyu (brown belt) in judo. We're both pretty much out of practice, unfortunately, but maybe that qualifies?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#215650 03/05/08 10:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I used to practise judo at a national level. I quit a few years ago because my injuries became unbearable. I had a brown belt, but I had the qualities of the black belt. Somehow, I never got around to actually taking the exam, which I now very much regret, of course. I'm a bit out of practise, but I don't think I'll ever forget all the defensive moves I've learnt over the years.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#215651 03/05/08 11:16 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I've been told by a number of people that the best practitioners of the art are the brown belts studying to be black belts, because their arts are sharpest. Afterwards, you sometimes get sloppy <g>.

Nan

#215652 03/05/08 11:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I didn't even practise for the black belt. Participating in all the games I did, I gained enough experience to qualify for the exam. Or I should just have become national champion, which automatically gives one the black belt here. laugh But alas, I never got that far. Seventh place is the highest I got. Still, a darn good result.

But looking back now, I do regret not having gotten the black belt. Then again, I never took the referee exam either, yet I acted as one plenty of times during matches with the kids. <g> So exams don't say everything.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#215653 03/06/08 03:57 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay. Weird. Why was my avatar removed from this thread in my earlier post? It's still showing in the others... I don't get it. Sorry to get off topic.

*Okay. Now it's back. I guess it's cause I edited again after I had posted it and it just hadn't made changes in this thread...

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215654 03/06/08 01:00 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm a ni-dan (2nd degree black-belt) in Shorinji Kempo. It's a Japanese martial art developed after WWII used mostly for defense and self-improvement. It's also non-competitive, so most people have either never heard of it or confuse it with American Kempo/Kenpo styles. It teaches a mix of hard (kicks, punches, blocks) and soft (pins, throws and escapes) techniques. I'm told it's a lot like Aikido.

There are fewer belt levels in Shorinji Kempo (white/brown/black for adults and white/yellow/green/brown/black for kids) and it's very cooperative. You work together with your classmates to improve, rather than trying to beat the crap out of each other.

It relies on several principles like leverage, circular/wheel, and momentum so it's effective for anyone (children, elderly, disabled). Most of the highest level teachers are in their 70's and one past sensei had only one arm.

I enjoyed studying it, but have been on break for about 3 years. I studied with my husband and when he started his own dojo (he's san-dan/3rd degree now), I couldn't deal with having him be my teacher. I know, my issue...

BJ

#215655 03/09/08 11:21 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
That's the nice thing about Dan Zan Ryu ju jitsu. It's an art, not a sport, and nobody tries to beat the crap out of each other. The goal is to learn the technique with the help of your partner. Even in competition, it isn't student against student. Each pair competes to perform their arts with the greatest skill, thereby out-performing other pairs in their division. We have very low injury rates because each art is performed in cooperation with one's partner instead of in competition with him.

Nan

#215656 03/09/08 06:18 PM
Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I've avoided competition thus far for the sheer fact that I just don't want to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit in the face and since JKD does a lot of muy thai... well, things can get ugly.

I do it for the confidence, the discipline, and the self-defense aspect of it.

I'm also an Instructor Candidate, so I'm currently learning to become an instructor. Right now I'm an assistant instructor for our school's women's kickboxing classes. I really love teaching, I imagine it's something I'll do for a long while, which will help keep my skills sharp wink .

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
#215657 03/20/08 12:53 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I dropped out of Tae Kwon Do when I almost at my second dan.

Afterwards I did a few years of Jeet Kune Do (no belts though @ my place), karate, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, kick boxing, kung fu & judo. Then I stopped.

Now I'm a lazy bum who should be in boxing class right now......me BAD! I'm on Weight Watchers sooooo I should be going because I need the points!

I really miss my Sifu (when I studied JKD etc with him). He was in China last I read and I Google him now and then to see what's up with him. I think I'm actually ready now to be a good student if he came back to my city (I HIGHLY doubt he'd ever come back). I was too fearful and resented the fact I had to haul my little brother from class to class...I couldn't get rid of the little dude. Though, I did make a fool of myself in those classes sometimes so maybe it's good I never see my Sifu again!!! At the time I didn't know I had an English accent from time to time (me idiot!). I'm a first born Cdn in my family...so I really shouldn't have an 'accent'. confused razz blush When I was around people who legitimately had an accent...I seemed to pick up on it when I said certain words or numbers....UGH. Of course there is a lot of counting in martial arts. My Sifu is English so I'd pick up on it and he'd tease me. blush

I really wish I could train more in grappling. That was one of my favourite things. I also enjoyed doing my patterns/poomse in TKD. It's been 15 years since I learned my first pattern...and almost eight since I did them last and I actually remember it still. I'm mad at myself though for not practicing on my own. I have forgotten Koryo and the one after it once you earn you 1st Dan...well at least at my school. I dreaded every single TKD class, even after attending for years. I hated sparring and I never caught on to that. I prefer the freedom of being able to include ground 'fighting' so that is why I went on to study other arts.

I loved thumbsup teaching and I started to do more about six months before I left (TKD). Now when I visit my school's website I see those who where at the same level as me when I left are teaching now and have their 'own' school...it makes me a bit sad. Though this is the path I took and I deal with it. I hoping one day I find a school and art that makes me feel comfortable. I want to be challenged and feel strong. Also, I want the confidence and knowledge that I can defend myself if need be.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard