Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Found this fun little page on the official website for The Golden Compass. Just answer a few questions and you'll find out what your daemon is.

Surprisingly, mine is apparently a cat called Arion. I'm not really a cat person. LOL.

As for TGC itself - I'm really looking forward to it. When the Pullman books first came out I figured they weren't to my taste. But having seen the trailers for the movie it looks amazing and I've now bought the books and am looking forward to reading them.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read the first two books and finally just stopped because I lost interest and the books just weren't magical to me at all. frown

I do hope though that the movie comes across better. I'll probably go see it just to see if it can capture my imagination where the books details couldn't.

*runs away to find out what her daemon is*

EDIT: It is a hare daemon called Araphen. ^_^

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have the books. I read the first one and a half a few years ago, but haven't got around to finishing the trilogy.

I thought the first book -- The Northern Lights -- was terrific. Don't want to say more for fear of spoiling anyone. The second... I struggled to get into that one, which is definitely a shame because I've heard that the third is the best of the lot.

Of course, it didn't help that I heard a HUGE spoiler when I was listening to an interview with Philip Pullman one time. Argh! The curse of radio!

Having said all that, I really do want to sit down and get into the books again, because Pullman's world was magical to me. I loved the Daemons in Lyra's world so much!

And, yes, I'm also looking forward to seeing the film... eventually. (One of the prices I pay for living where I do is that we don't have ready access to a cinema.)

Chris

Edited to add: I took the test. My Daemon is a male gibbon called Nithreus. He's a very good looking fellow. smile Apparently I'm "modest, solitary, flexible, competitive and responsible". I can live with that. smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm... I'm an Osprey (bird) named Rasthmus. It says I'm passive, modest, softly spoken, sociable, and solitary.

Pretty accurate. I wanna see that movie!!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
That was a fun couple minutes on a rainy day. Mine is pretty accurate, too. I got "Alexius" a moneky (which I guess is appropriate as Mona means monkey in Spanish, lol)and it says You are "solitary, responsible, modest, softly spoken and inquisitve."

Mona

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I loved the Daemons in Lyra's world so much!
It's definitely the whole concept of the daemons that attract and intrigue me, too.

I'll confess that I'm a total sucker for the whole talking animals, animal-human bond, telepathic human/animal communications concept anyway. From Anne McCaffrey's dragons to Robin Hobb's books. And I have a ton of questions about Pullman's take on this concept - which I'm hoping the books or movie will answer for me.

Well...that and armoured polar bears. You gotta love armoured polar bears. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fun quiz! I got a Mouse named Calanon. Apparently, I'm modest, flexible, assertive, spontaneous, and sociable.

So how would you actually say the word daemon? (pretend there's a proper ae letter there heh.) Is it a hard e like demon? Does it have more of an a sound like cake or lake?

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
I did this quiz back in April, so I had to find the email with the original animal, because if you put the code on a blog, your friends can modify your daemon. My daemon is named Philon. It started off as some type of dog, and ended up as a jackal. "Modest, outgoing, spontaneous, inquisitive, and responsible."

I haven't read the books yet. I'm planning on reading them after I watch the movie. I learned my lesson the hard way after reading then watching The Lost World.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I learned my lesson the hard way after reading then watching The Lost World.
Okay, tell me you're not talking about Jurassic Park.

JD
who's still cringing over the unceremonious icing of characters and dinosaurs invading the US.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
I took the quiz in quizilla.com and here's what I got...

Your HARE DAEMON represents your passive, kindhearted, and honorable nature. Though you are occasionally shy with new people, friends admire your unshakable tranquility, even in the face of chaos.

I think I'm almost the person in the description, almost but not quite. laugh

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So how would you actually say the word daemon? (pretend there's a proper ae letter there heh.) Is it a hard e like demon? Does it have more of an a sound like cake or lake?
Dæmon is pronounced DEE-mon. (And you can get the proper character by using æ in html) laugh

My dæmon is a racoon named Sereno. Apparently I am modest, sociable, proud, competitive, and spontaneous.

But this could change at any time in the next twelve days because I have given my friends the chance to change it here if they think I have a warped sense of myself. cat

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Shadow:
I learned my lesson the hard way after reading then watching The Lost World.
Okay, tell me you're not talking about Jurassic Park.

JD
who's still cringing over the unceremonious icing of characters and dinosaurs invading the US.
Yep. I spent the whole ride home going "This was different, and this was different, and then this...."

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Features Writer
Features Writer
Havent read the book, but I wanna now.

Took the test, and I got Skaene, a Fox Daemom

Modest, solitary, inquisitive, spontaneous, assertive.

Not sure it fits, but YAY FOXIES!!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard