Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212213 06/20/07 09:55 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Tommorrow is the summer solstice. Now, if I had to say what my favorite day of the year is, it would be the summer solstice.

One year, I was in Yellowknife, NWT (Canada) with my father on the summer solstice and we went out to watch the sunset (which, literally, takes hours). We planned to stay to watch the sunrise about an hour later, but we were being eaten alive by misquitoes. grumble

Still, I usually just celebrate the summer solstice by taking a book out onto my deck and reading - until it's too dark to read anymore (where I live now, that's about 10:30 or 11:00 p.m.). I've already decided which book I'm going to read this year laugh .

So is there anyone else out there who celebrates the Summer Solstice? Or am I just... weird laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#212214 06/20/07 10:05 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't particularly mark one day, but I'm certainly with you on the sheer pleasure of sitting in peace and quiet, reading a good book, out in the open air of the garden and well into the night, before it gets too dark to read without the light on.

Bliss.

LabRat smile (who thinks anything associated with reading is bliss, really, but that's a particularly good one laugh )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#212215 06/21/07 12:34 PM
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
ML,

No, you're not weird. We celebrate both summer and winter solstices at our house. Winter by lighting a bunch of candles then turning out the lights, maybe reading a passage or just talking; and summer by sitting on the back stoop and eating watermelon, then playing in the back yard (which of course, means reading a book for the adults and playing as hard as they can for the kids). So Happy Solstice, ML!

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard