Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#211722 05/14/07 01:23 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
we have just adopted our new baby, who is a 6 week old Maltese/Jack-Russel cross, whom my sister has named Gabriella....

my sis was a bit of a B***h on mother's day, when she kept going on that the dog would get infected from the Parvo virus if the dog was touched by my cousin...stotal bull *&^* as the rates of infection and my cous has no contact with dogs....
.... so my mum and I teased my sis that the dog's name was Parvo...

anyway I like it, but dad hates it.... he says; you wouldn't want a child named rubella/emphasema/myocardia/urethra... (forgoing all the old-wives-tales of children named Vagina etc.)

we were trying to find lists of weird pet names
such as a friend's Great Dane called "Todo" (think WIz/Oz)
or how many cats and dogs do you know called "Big-Bird" and "Snuffleuppogous"

how bout u guys...
know any weird pet names

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#211723 05/14/07 02:26 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
When I was little, we had this adorable little black mutt runt who black fur and white all down her chest and tummy. I wanted to name her Bows at first, but my mother convinced me to go along with Tuxedo. (Odd thing is, even after having her for so many years, it took me forever to learn how to spell it!) Later on we got a cat, who's name was Princess when we got her. But my mom wanted the dog and cat to mix, so she became Princess Cumerbund.

And my sister brought home a little doggy that looked like the one from Wishbone. She named her Presents because of all of the... er... presents she would leave.

Then there was Tristan and Tessa, my snuggly wuggly baby kitty poos that I had to leave behind when I joined the Army... =( I named Tristan because I'd originally read the name in a Buffy the Vampire fanfic... (shaddap) and Tessa was just to match. However, Miss Tessa was a bit of a snob, and loved to grace us (especially my daddy) with her presence, so Daddy nicknamed her Countessa De La Boo. (No idear where the Boo came from.) Originally they were gonna be Lancelot and Gueneviere, but I had my heart set on Tristan!

My Step mother's golden retriever is named Clancy. My step sister had a basset named Lucy Lu.

And that's about all for unusualish pet names. laugh Most regulare pet name we've ever had was a disgruntled tabby named Buttons. My parents had told me she'd run away and got married, and it wasn't until ELEVEN YEARS LATER that they told me she'd gotten run over by a car!!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#211724 05/14/07 03:09 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I love it, your cat got married...

oooh Tuxedo is such a cute name...

over my 22 short years, we've had
Sam (sheepdog)
Sally (Kelpie)
Tiger (tabby cat)
Paddy (Blue healer)... country friend's dog we inherited...
Spot (Rottweiler cross?) named spot because of the children's picture books where Sally and Sam are spot's parents
Blacky (Black Persian cat)
Cherry (Tabby cat)
Yoshi (named after some Nintendo character...some unknown mongrel who looked like a dingo... wasn't but... then had to be put down after the neighbour's 3yr old waved a stick at him violently, and then Yoshi bit off the child's calf muscle...)

Toby (Labrador)
Julie Greenleaf Debinghousen the 3rd (only my sis knows why) (Julie for short-Tabbie cat) chased away y her 3 remaining kittens (she had 5 at 1 yr old, then we managed to give away 2) the kittens basically traumatised her, not letting her eat at all

Julie's 5 kittens:(all male, all tabby)
Smooshy... only persian/long haired one
Ladybug (named before sex was determined, given to sis's friend)
Phantom... black and white patches over face, and tabby body
Pus in Boots (Pibbles for short)... white socks
and Cello (my favourite, given to grandma)... looked like there were violin strings running from his neck to tail...

and now Gabriella (Maltese/Jack-Russel cross)

as well as an assortment of mice (eaten by local wild-life kookaburras (named Jack and Jill) because mum refused to allow them inside and their fish-tank home's lid was left open....),
we've had guinea-pigs & rabbits (freed by neighbour's rottweiler who jumped the 7 foot fence and repeatedly unlocked our rabbit hutch... he didn't want to eat them himself, only play but the rabbits were later eaten by Paddy)
and a number of gold-fish that died when the snooker ball hit their tank...)

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#211725 05/14/07 07:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Interesting.

We've had dogs named Duffy and Daffy, both male.

Cats:
Dixie (F) gray tabby (died at age 14)
Dandy (M) white w/orange spots (died at age 13)
Dusky (M) gray tabby w/white belly and paws (disappeared)
Dusty (M) similar to Dusky in markings
Dash (M) half-Siamese/cutest markings ever

And our current dog is named Davina Eileen Mackenzie, which was largely my sister's doing.

My sister gives weird names but they are usually names, not words.

P.S. Beethoven, I think you need to resize your avatar.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#211726 05/14/07 07:33 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
We had a cat named "Brisco" - as in Brisco County, Jr.

Had a couple named Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. No idea why.

And a dog named "Trouble"

#211727 05/14/07 08:38 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
My bunny was called Pauli - he got his name by my parents.
My beloved dog (dachshund-cocker) is called Pablo - that's how they named him at the animal shelter.

Some days ago I fell in love with a sweet labby puppy - I already called her Lois but I still have to check whether Pablo would get along with her wink

Oh and then there are my rats:
Jeff & Fred: Named after "Jeff Clever & Fred Smart" (or the other way round?) which are the German names for Mortadelo y Filemón - not sure whether they are known in UK or USA.
Ophelia: Well, that's Ofelia from the mentioned comic wink
Chili: That was just because I was looking for a nice and funny name - interestingly enough she was never fiery but pretty calm.

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#211728 05/14/07 09:29 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh boy. Let me think here.. we've had a few dogs and a lot of cats over the years. Not all of the cats were named, though.

Dogs:
Cinder - short for Cinderella. She was a mostly black mutt
Betsy - She came with the name.
Cocker - A cocker spaniel who didn't last long after chewing up all of Mom's shoes
Pookie - Another cocker spaniel, loveable, but dumber than a box of rocks

Cats:
Snowball - pure white
Julian - no idea why Dad named him that
Jasper - I sooo wanted to name him Oscar. He was a silver-white persian, and when we got him, he had just been shaved, so he looked like Oscar the Grouch
Sammy - It seems like a normal name, but it actually came from the Xanth novels by Piers Anthony. Sammy was a cat who could find anything, except for home. He has nicknames such as Samsonite, Sammykins, Sam-Sam, fuzzbutt, and a few that shouldn't be uttered in polite conversation, depending on everyone's moods (including Sammy's).

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#211729 05/14/07 09:30 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, my pets of the last years

Panther - cat
Tiger - cat
Mikesch - cat
all 3 are dead by now frown Mikesch was the last one at the beginning of April

Now I have left:
Vitello - dog
Little - cat
Maila, Lotta & Lolle - guinea pigs
Moni - hamster
Moe, Larry & Curley - lemmings

That's it smile

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
#211730 05/14/07 09:45 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I've only had a few pets in my life, compared to everyone else here anyway... smile

Bonnie - cat we had till I was about 3 years old (we lived in the Solomon Islands for the vast majority of my first 3 years) - I have no idea why we named her that.
Katie - a cat we got when I was six. She died at 14 and a 1/2. We named her Katie because one of our next door neighbours (and my best friend at the time) suggested it and we were having trouble coming up with anything else. Yeah...so much for creative young minds...
Genie - my pet rat, known as Genie but this was short for Genius. Long story short: we looked after her, her brothers and sisters and her parents for friends while they went on holiday. Genie was the smartest out of all of them as she learned how to get up the ladder and crawl upside down on the underside of her wire-topped cage before any of them - thus I nick-named her Genius and it stuck. Then I got to keep her. I had to have her put down about 9 years ago..
Merlin - my pet dog. We named him this because we were going through all the names associated with his breed when trying to figure out a name. He was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, so we were going: 'Charles? No. William? No. Harry? No.' Then we moved to older (mythical) kings. 'Arthur? No.' And just in fun, we said Merlin. It seemed to fit him, so we kept it. As a lot of you may remember, we had to get him put down just recently.

So now we have no pets... frown Sad.

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#211731 05/14/07 09:47 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Well, we've had lots of animals, but I only mentioned a few previously because I thought they had less common names. Once had 12 black cats at once (when you have two female cats (one black) and one male cat (black) I guess that happens) - but eight were kittens that we gave away before they got names. And then we got the male neutered and gave away one of the females (the other one was just terrorizing her - she wouldn't come out from under the table except to eat, even when we kept the other female outside), and my mother knew someone who wanted a fluffy black cat)

We had ones named "Gray", "Blackie", "Midnight", "Shaky", "Shabby", "Shivers" "Snowball", "Snowflake" "Miss Tabby", "Tigger" "Ding a Ling", "Tattle Tail" (he had a long tail), "Vespa", "Count", "Countess", "Anonymous", "Pretty Boy", "Chang" and many more.

And we've had "Candy" for 12 years or so now.

We are not creative with names, but my sister and I were always insistent than no pet-name ever be reused.

#211732 05/14/07 09:57 AM
Kerth
Kerth
My current pets are corn snakes - Sam Snake (who was named by a neighbour's kid who couldn't look after him) is the oldest, his mate was Cornelia who died a couple of years ago. I've kept one of their offspring, a baby I called Murphy (after Robocop), who turned out to be female and is mated with an unrelated male called Cobb. So not very imaginitive or amusing, I'm afraid.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#211733 05/14/07 11:26 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Most regular pet name we've ever had was a disgruntled tabby named Buttons. My parents had told me she'd run away and got married, and it wasn't until ELEVEN YEARS LATER that they told me she'd gotten run over by a car!!
Oh my. goofy That reminds me of the time when I was a little kid we got two goldfish when we were on holiday and the next morning when I got up there was only one in the bowl. My Dad told me they'd had a fight during the night and one of them had jumped out of the bowl and left home to go travelling with the fair we won them at because he didn't want to live with his buddy any more. Like you, it was years before I suddenly thought, "Hey...wait a minute...!" laugh

Our pet names haven't been terribly out there, I'm afraid. Our GSDs were named Khan (because Star Trek: Wrath of Khan had just come out in the cinema when we got him and I was still a Trekker) and Saxon (we got him six months later and I was deep into my Robin of Sherwood phase by then. Saxon sounded better than Norman. <g>).

Then we had our GSD, Max - named just because I'd always wanted a dog named Max or Sam. No other reason.

And then, of course, the current incumbent of our affections is Homer. By then, it was Stuart's turn to name one and he was a huge Simpsons' fan. So it had to be Homer because he was 'fat and yellow and might like beer when he grows up.'

As it turned out, our Homer's more white/cream than yellow, not fat at all (because I hate rotund labs, so we always make sure the vet declares his weight 'perfect' when he has his yearly checkup). Not sure about the beer as he's never been given any to try. So zero out of three there. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#211734 05/14/07 02:10 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I used to have a puffer fish named Puff Daddy. My brother had three goldfish named Bo, Luke, and Uncle Jessie. Those fish had lived for a year in Pennsylvania and survived the cross-country road trip to San Diego. But when my mom changed the water at the dumpy apartment we moved into, Uncle Jessie died the next day. (We started drinking bottled water!)

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#211735 05/14/07 02:59 PM
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Way back when I was in high school (the dark ages), we became staff for a Siamese tom. My dad didn't particularly like cats, so my sister, in a fit of "brilliance" declared that his name should be Dog, so Dad wouldn't notice he was really a cat.

We currently have a parakeet named Dusty - I pointed her out to my wife by saying "What about that dusty-colored one in the corner?" She has fairly muted yellow and green plumage, like she'd just finished a dust bath.

Then there is Trouble the guinea pig, aka Rat, Giant Mutant Hamster, the Dark Lord Trouble the Silly Piggie. Since he is mostly black, with a narrow white stripe from his nose up between his ears. he looks like a skunk when he pokes his nose out of his little igloo. I voted for Snowball but was shouted down.

My younger daughter just got a hamster she calls Pippin. He is also known as micro-rat and Harvey the Wonder Hamster, although Heather doesn't like the latter.

Frank
"Dogs have owners, cats have staff"

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
#211736 05/14/07 04:21 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I figured I might as well post the names of my Dad's animals. He likes human names for some reason.

Jasmine (cat)
Kelly (dog)
Joe (dog)
Bo (bird)
Matilda - Mattie for short (bird)
Spike (cat -- he's actually had a few named Spike, because my younger brother keeps naming them that)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#211737 05/14/07 04:31 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Love it. And too true sometimes.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#211738 05/14/07 11:48 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
definitely true of our cats...

I forgot to mention Sooty (Maltese/Shitzu), he kept running away from our house because at the time we had 3 dogs and a cat (Sally, Yoshi, and Sooty, as well as Cherry; all mentioned above).... we eventually only had him for 3 months before Mum gave up retrieving him from the vet, and told said vet to find a new owner if possible... mum told vet that she did not want to feel like a jailer, and if the dog ran away repeatedly, then she was worried Sooty was unhappy for whatever reason

Sooty had a somewhat unusual trait that he would be found by the same vet who lived between 5 and 10 K's awayhuh , over and over again...
He was named after the BBC puppet Sooty and Sweep (with Matthew Corbett) I loved those shows...

Unfortunately I am being forbidden to call the new pup PARVO after the parvo virus, this virus is apparently a pretty big problem in Sydney animals... I wish little sis had a Sense of humour...

My grandparent's cat Mishka (some polish name; short haired, Calico/tortoise shell) lived to the grand old age of 22/23
and their dog Bobby (papillon) was 21 or 22...

when my aunt got married, her husband brought into the family a dog called "Sophie", which just happened to be my sis's name, so they changed the dog's name to "Trophie"

#211739 05/15/07 11:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I currently have two cats:

Cat #1: Dr. Claw. Yes... she lives up to the name. She is named after the Inspector Gadget villian. smile

Cat #2: Shinobi. She is named after a play station game about ninjas. She is black like one and likes to climb everything and jump from the ground to high places. She really is a ninja.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#211740 05/15/07 07:53 PM
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
I had 2 dogs

The first one was a Silky Terrier named Joey who unfortunately was put down after being hit by a car. I was really upset over that I cried for days.

My second dog was a pomeranian a ball of orange fluff really my friend named Snoopy. Eventually I developed allergies so I had to give him away.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#211741 05/16/07 09:51 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I've had a few pets over the years.

Otto - Cat we had the first few years of my life. Loved to eat cloth. We still have blankets with holes from him XD
Lucky - Cat we got from my friend when she moved away.
CJ - Cat we got from the shelter a couple years ago.

Charlie - Dog we got from the shelter when I was younger, but we didn't keep him long because he was too hyper for us.

Frankie and Jack (short for Frankenstein and Captain Jack) - Mice

Monty - Hamster named after Brendan Fraser's character in With Honors. Didn't have him very long.

My newest pets are two hamsters, a momma and baby named McKinley and Denali. Those are actually two different names for the same mountain, but I wanted something Alaskan and those seem to fit.

I've had a few fish, too. Most of which I never bothered to name.

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard