Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#211587 05/02/07 12:29 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I definitely live in the wrong country. The last time I went into a shopping centre a vendor was staring at me, seemingly asking if I really was going to buy something there (which is impossible anyway, because you aren't going to find what you are looking for in the first place)

And they really ask "How are you today?" in a Supermarket? OMG! I'm startled if someone says "Hello" to me.
*giggle* Well, I can relate. But things are changing - even in our part of Germany. If you've ever been to a newly opened store, you'll see the difference. Especially if the same place holds a new store every few years, but keeps the employees. That way, they get trained over and over - leading to rather strange situations. Sometimes they are so nice (and sounding all disinterested) that I just want to run away screaming. But with time, they get the hang of it, and even I start to feel natural talking to the cashier.

People working at certain types of retail outlets - fast-food or concession stands - are trained to interact in a different way: they must tell customers all about daily specials, they must ask would you like a drink with that? or Is there anything else I can get you? - and since this interaction can double or even triple a sale it's considered very important. Personally, I just want my coffee and I don't want to be asked if I want a doughnut with that wink but it's what people are trained to do... razz
You don't know how right you are. I've worked for McDonald's for several years, and trust me, we got 'trained' on it repeatedly. Although we usually get
a) no response...
b) a very unfriendly response...
c) the question whether the item in question is for free or...
d) confirmation that we're talking to a mystery shopper because he actually agrees to buy something else. lol
Anyway, the stupid question "Do you want to have ..., too?" sure causes a lot of 'interesting' scenes. Interacting with an angered or annoyed customer is always interesting, to say the least.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#211588 05/02/07 02:03 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The odd thing is - odd, because I wouldn't have imagined it before living here - the interaction appears totally genuine, not false or assumed.
But have you ever tested that theory? When asked how you are, have you ever tried admitting to the cashier that you're not, in fact, good?

Personally, I don't feel inclined to unburden myself to complete strangers, and I wouldn't want to delay other customers by having a long conversation about my personal life, so my answer will always be 'fine' whether I'm suicidal, at death's door, or utterly ecstatic about life. I can't help thinking that makes the entire exchange meaningless and a waste of time. wink

Over here, it's clear that supermarkets and large shops are attempting to establish more rapport with their customers. At most of the big supermarket chains, you now get a 'hello' type greeting from the cashier. That's okay - I'm quite happy to say 'hi' back and give them an all-purpose superficially-friendly smile. What I don't like are the 'meeters and greeters' that are being introduced at large shops. I just want to get into the shop and find what I'm looking for! Argh!

Yvonne

#211589 05/02/07 03:14 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The odd thing is - odd, because I wouldn't have imagined it before living here - the interaction appears totally genuine, not false or assumed.
It may be genuine, but it's also automatic. In the beginning, you have to remember to ask and be friendly. After that, it just comes out naturally when you see a new customer at the counter.

I can't tell you how many times (in the South and Southeast US) I've been called "dear" or "hon" or "honey" or "sweetheart" or "darlin'" (you have to leave off the final 'g') or something similar by waitresses. Guys usually say "pal" or "buddy" or "hey, man" or even "dude" or something else equally manly.
That's one thing I've had to get used to when I moved to the South. I get customers and retail personal calling me hon, honey, darlin... From customers and retail people, I don't mind. What annoyed me was when a brand new coworker, whom I had never met but was calling out for the day, called me something along those lines. It was all I could do not to fire back that I didn't know him from Adam and I wasn't his darlin'. mad

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#211590 05/02/07 11:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Paul gave a good summary of regional differences and big city vs. smaller city. We travel a lot and shop in totally unfamiliar supermarkets. I really appreciate a "Did you find what you were looking for?" from a cashier. If we say "no, but where is the Sopaipillia* mix?" and he tells us, Hubby will go back and get it a do a separate check out after me so we don't hold anybody up. A friendly hello and smile is always welcome, espcially if you've driven 10 hours to a new town. Much more interaction that that isn't really called for unless it's something like asking directions to someplace that's supposed to be close by, but you can't see it. (Big shopping centers, for instance)
We live in a small town, so there is a good chance that we are behind someone being checked out by a family member. We appreciate it when they don't visit forever and that is usually the case.
cool
Artemis
*Sopaipillas are a southwest puff pastry in New Mexico and Texas. You deep fry them and fill them with honey, or whipped cream or jam for a dessert.

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard