The odd thing is - odd, because I wouldn't have imagined it before living here - the interaction appears totally genuine, not false or assumed.
But have you ever tested that theory? When asked how you are, have you ever tried admitting to the cashier that you're not, in fact, good?

Personally, I don't feel inclined to unburden myself to complete strangers, and I wouldn't want to delay other customers by having a long conversation about my personal life, so my answer will always be 'fine' whether I'm suicidal, at death's door, or utterly ecstatic about life. I can't help thinking that makes the entire exchange meaningless and a waste of time. wink

Over here, it's clear that supermarkets and large shops are attempting to establish more rapport with their customers. At most of the big supermarket chains, you now get a 'hello' type greeting from the cashier. That's okay - I'm quite happy to say 'hi' back and give them an all-purpose superficially-friendly smile. What I don't like are the 'meeters and greeters' that are being introduced at large shops. I just want to get into the shop and find what I'm looking for! Argh!

Yvonne