Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It has been said that women make beautiful and attractive corpses, but men make better story vehicles. This might explain why it seems very satisfying to write stories about women who die and men who keep on living. And seeing that the popular LnC subgenre, death-of-Lois fics, has reared its beautifully melancholy head again, I thought I'd offer you some true death-of-women stories to serve as inspiration for those who want to have fun writing this kind of fic! thumbsup Okay, here are some links:

Woman dies of bird flu

Woman died riding Disneyland ride

Woman dies of rabies

Woman plunges to her death from a plane

Woman dies as Range Rover crashes into train station where she worked

Clock ticks for death row woman

Woman killed by drinking too much water

My computer is so slow for some reason, so I'll refrain from digging up more links. But perhaps I've managed to inspire you to write your own death-of-Lois fic anyway!

Ann

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Wow, what a depressive topic Ann!

I see no sense at all in writing death fics and I seriously hope that no one will have Lois die from rabies. Besides, since there is a vaccination I would kill Clark if he lets Lois anywhere near the dangerous zones without it. wildguy

Though a German poet said: "Death is the mildest form of living, eternal love's masterpiece"

I'd rather like Lois and Clark living ever after. grovel Please, let them alive!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
Personally, I think that if a character (man or woman) dies in a story because it's part of the story and the story wouldn't be right if the character didn't die, then it's perfectly okay.

I don't, however, condone writing stories just so the writer can kill/punish/otherwise abuse a certain character.

What's the difference? Hmmm . . . how to explain something that's not really quantifiable, but more of a slider-scale in my head? Okay, two examples:

1) In one of the fandoms I used to be active in (the very first I was truly active in, in fact), I once came across a fanfic where the main character (another strong, female type like Lois) was brutally raped and beaten, and the characters who did it (most likely gary stus) kept saying things like, "Take that," or "it's just what you deserve." I HATE this kind of story.

2) However, sometimes, a writer might wonder, "what would happen to character X (how would he/she react, live, etc) if character Y died/had to go away suddenly/etc? I have no problem with that type of fic--it helps the writer to expand his or her talents and characterization skills.

Or, the writer might be doing what he/she does when the story comes to a certain point. They try to get the character out of a bad situation, but either that character can't get out of it themselves or no one is able to get there to help them in time.

Should the writer just STOP writing because he/she knows that the character is going to have to die? Absolutely not!

Does this mean that the writer hates the character? I highly doubt it.

Does it mean that the writer will enjoy writing the death of that character? I doubt that too--writers (or at least me) tend to get very attached to their characters, and it might even break their hearts a little to have to see them go, but they do it anyway, so that the story can come to its full potential.

I really don't think that having a character die in a story like the ones we have posted here has anything to do with having fun writing death fic.

And I definitely have not seen anything even close to resembling the first type of fic I mentioned on these boards, on the archive, or even at Annesplace, and for that, I'm grateful!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to say that I can't remember the last story I read where Lois dies. It seems to me that, if anything, FoLC writers are all about killing Clark--or at least pretending to. TOGOM rewrite anyone?

So I'm a little puzzled as to where exactly I might find all these dead-Lois stories.

Then again, perhaps this post was meant to actually spur writers to kill Lois more often! dizzy

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This might explain why it seems very satisfying to write stories about women who die and men who keep on living. And seeing that the popular LnC subgenre, death-of-Lois fics, has reared its beautifully melancholy head again,
What brought this up, exactly, Ann? We've had this discussion several times before, and it's been a frustrating effort. Honestly, I think the problem's more in your *perception* of the world (and fanfic) than the thing itself. Calling this a "popular" sub-genre is quite a stretch. It's your right to see it any way you like, of course, and I know you've had some bad experiences -- but if you could try to avoid projecting those attitudes and your anger onto *us*, I know I for one would appreciate it.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist

You really know how to beat a dead horse, Ann. dizzy

But, Hell I'm game if someone is interested In writing some more death fics. laugh

Rach smile

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You really know how to beat a dead horse, Ann.
You mean like this:

[Linked Image]

or this:

[Linked Image]

or even this:

[Linked Image]

laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

Those smilies cracked me up.

Oh god! Lab, Now I have to take those. <eg>

Rach laugh

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, this is probably stupid, but... when has that ever stopped me?

What about Enterprise? The series was approaching its end. The people in charge did a viewer poll to find out who the most popular character was. The fans picked a pretty likable guy. So, in order to make the series finale more emotional and dramatic... They killed him off.

And, while you're randomly and inexplicably pulling out random links about people dying in strange ways, why are you ignoring all the men who have died recently, for whatever reason?

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Honestly, I think the problem's more in your *perception* of the world (and fanfic) than the thing itself. Calling this a "popular" sub-genre is quite a stretch. It's your right to see it any way you like, of course, and I know you've had some bad experiences -- but if you could try to avoid projecting those attitudes and your anger onto *us*, I know I for one would appreciate it.
Thanks for expressing my sentiments so nicely PJ. On a not so nice note, I'd like to add that I find any any attempt to censure artistic creativity utterly and completely abominable . The fact that, as far as I'm aware no one recently has (a)posted a Lois deathfic in the first place or (b)gone without a WHAM is beside the point next to the intolerance revealed by this bad-natured post.

I sincerely hope no one takes pays any attention to it. That type of thinking breeds an environment of hostility that I want no part of.

That said, it makes me very grateful for our friendly mods and the open members of this community who don't attempt to censure writers. But my sympathies like with the writers most of all who write what they feel no matter what. Keep writing, guys. I for one will definitely keep reading.

Sincerely smile ,
alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Honestly, it's threads like this that really turn people, myself included, off writing. frown

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A couple of years ago, some student actually did die here from water intoxination eek

It was a student who was getting his initiation for a students' union. They kind of exaggerate those things around here - I've seen things like people only being allowed to use the toilet once per day, eat once per day and have to do hard physical work all at the same time, for up to three weeks (that's not all too healthy..). So, anyway, this guy only had to take some sort of quiz, and had to drink a glass of water for every wrong answer. Well, you get the picture, he drank 5 litres in half an hour, and he died... frown

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
The fact that, as far as I'm aware no one recently has (a)posted a Lois deathfic in the first place or
I assume Ann's post was in response to DJ's "Quiet Regret." Of course, Ann, you might not be aware of the context of that fic (which is an inbetweenie showing Clark's reaction in DTOSC when he thought Lois was dead--which she wasn't), since you've said repeatedly that you haven't watched much of the show.

Honestly, I'm tired of this topic, Ann. Like others have said, this has been discussed before. If you don't like deathfic, don't read it. Others do enjoy it and like writing it, and that's their prerogative.

P.S. I'm now sorely tempted to go and write a Lois deathfic. I'm childish that way.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I assume Ann's post was in response to DJ's "Quiet Regret."
In which case, this thread might be relevant. I moved it to Fic Related, because it is, but it might just be related to this thread, too...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm now sorely tempted to go and write a Lois deathfic. I'm childish that way.
A new C_A fic? Oooh, pretty please.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ann, I saw the "Sorry!" thread in Fanfic-Related and appreciated that you apologized for wrongly assuming that DJ's story was a deathfic. But, at least as far as I'm concerned, your belief is no excuse for having started this particular thread in the first place.

To me, the essence of your post says "Well, since you insist on writing Lois deathfics, let me show some new and imaginative ways to kill her off." At best, that's total sarcasm; at worst, utter rudeness, in my opinion.

You persist in calling death-of-Lois fics a popular subgenre, yet you can present absolutely no facts to back up that statement. Perhaps because these stories disturb you (and others, you're certainly not alone out there) to your inner core, that makes them stand out above many of the others and makes you believe that they're pervading L&Cdom.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Instead of going on about this and telling Ann over and over again that you don't agree with her, why can't we just "forgive and forget"? She's apologized for this and I don't see why we still have to be replying to this topic... Everyone makes mistakes... huh

Features Writer
Features Writer
She's apologized for this and I don't see why we still have to be replying to this topic... Everyone makes mistakes...
Actually, Selinde, Ann hasn't apologized about this thread at all. She apologized, in a different thread, only for believing that DJ's story was a deathfic.

Yes, we are covering old ground again, Ann as much as the rest of us. She starts a new post complaining about deathfics, and people respond. At this point I don't care if she apologizes for having started this thread in the first place - I'm just hoping that she won't start a new one the next time a deathfic story is actually posted.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've just caught up with this thread, although I had read Ann's initial post when she first posted yesterday. Have to say, having now read the other posts I'm dismayed by the meanness running through many of them.

Perhaps it would have been better had Dave not moved Ann's apology to fanfic related and thus it would be seen as being more connected to Ann's initial post rather than leaving Ann's comment here isolated?

Just a thought. smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Actually, Selinde, Ann hasn't apologized about this thread at all. She apologized, in a different thread, only for believing that DJ's story was a deathfic.
I'm sure that she will, I just don't think she'd realized that people would feel so offended by it. Notifying her is about it ok, but one or two responses would have been enough for her to get the picture.

Have to say, having now read the other posts I'm dismayed by the meanness running through many of them.
I agree. I thought this was supposed to be a folcdom just having a gay ol' time talking/reading/writing/vidding/whatevering about L&C. I see no point in arguing about this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard