Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
smile

[Linked Image]

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Kerth
Kerth
Cuuuuuute!

But 'over-the-top acting'? Nah, not really. 'Boring storylines'? Well, sometimes. (Wedding Argh) 'Lousy effects'? No, not lousy. Not state of the art, but not lousy, either!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
hehe - yeah, I agree with you Mellie.

For the time and considering it was TV, the effects aren't that bad. The acting was just fine, IMHO. As for the story lines, hey - seasons 1 and 2 totally ROCK! The others I have some issues with, but a lot of the episodes are totally awesome anyway.

smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I might be biased, but I'm also very interested in plots and I found those in L&C really inventive and compelling, sometimes it didn't work out or went over the top but it seldom felt stale, considering Superman's powers that's rather impressive. Especially since the writers so seldom resorted to random kryptonite, the hallmark of the lazy Superman plotter.

The plots in the movies OTOH are the best reason to stay away from them IMHO. :p

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
I agree on the effects. Some A-plots were cringe-worthy, but rarely boring. And it was the acting and the chemistry that made the show! I think what the guy is saying is just supposed to illustrate how many fans of the Superman movies think (in which case the writer forgot to add "and Dean Cain doesn't look anything like Superman; he's short and has brown eyes!").

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Enjoyed the cartoon. Thanks for posting it Lara. smile

Don't have much else to add, but a fun little tidbit popped to mind when I saw this:

Especially since the writers so seldom resorted to random kryptonite, the hallmark of the lazy Superman plotter.
In an interview, Tim Minear (one of the show's writers) said something to the effect that, as a group, the writers felt that kryptonite as a plot device was cheap and too easily abused. (This was years before Smallville debuted, too!)

So, at the beginning of each season, they'd each get a couple of "kryptonite chits." A little piece of paper or something that denoted the usage of kryptonite. And any time a writer used kryptonite in one of his eps, he had to turn in one of his chits. So that kept them from overusing it.

Of course, kryptonite never (AFAIK) showed up in the old George Reeves series. I always thought that was pretty impressive, even if the show itself had no continuity or anything.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard