Print Thread
#206446 03/01/06 10:59 AM
J
jwb Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I don't use Windows, nor own windows, so I need some help. My parents just bought a new laptop that came with WindowsXPHome installed. Their old laptop had WindowsME.

On the ME machine, when they wanted to use the internet, they would click on the InternetExplorer icon, the dialup dialog would automatically come up, they would connect and check their email, etc.... When they were done, they would close IE, and the dialup would ask if they are done, and if they said yes, it would disconnect them.

WindowsXPHome does the autoconnect thing, but when they are done with the internet, it doesn't ask them if they are done and hang up. It just quietly leaves the connection up and running.

Is there anyway to get XPHome to ask if they want to disconnect from the internet when the last program using the internet closes?

Thanks for the help.

--
Jeff
#206447 03/01/06 11:35 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I used XP Home and dialup for a long time, and always disconnected manually. Although I didn't give it much thought, so maybe there's an option I'm not aware of. I quickly checked the Properties tabs in my dialup Internet connecion related icons, though, and didn't find anything like that.

Sorry if that's not much help.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#206448 03/01/06 12:33 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
As far as I know, there isn't an option for that in XP. Of course, I'm not exactly sure where that option is in ME, either. We just tell our customers to disconnect by double-clicking on the two monitors down next to the time, and then click ont he Disconnect button.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#206449 03/01/06 02:26 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
If you click settings and then the "advanced" tab there are options to shut the internet connection if it's been idle for "x" minutes or an option to "disconnect when connection may no longer be needed"

I don't know if that's what you need (I've had broadband ever since I got XP, I think, and I always used to disconnect manually when I had dial-up), but maybe it'll help.

#206450 03/01/06 02:28 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
OK, I had to install a Dial-Up connection in my computer to see this (I have high-speed access here at home). smile

Check this: in Tools > Internet Options... > Connections tab, select your dia-up service and click on "Settings...", then on the new window, click on "Advanced".

Do you have the option "Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed" selected? If not, try it out. Maybe it will work.

If it doesn't work, let us know, and we'll keep looking.

See ya,

malu wave

EDIT: Oops! I think I took too long to reply. Tzigone just answered the same thing before me. blush

#206451 03/03/06 03:03 AM
J
jwb Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Well - this is exciting! Trying to get someone to click through a bunch of menus you can't see and don't know anything about to achive the wanted result is mighty fun indeed!

Thanks for the help, everyone. We found the checkbox, and turned it on, but they said it didn't make any difference. We will see. It could have been something like their virus program checking for updates or something that kept the connection open - I don't know. They will be traveling back my way soon, so I'll see what they did with my own eyes.

Thanks again for the help.

--
Jeff
#206452 03/03/06 02:02 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ignore this. blush

malu

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard