Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#206014 02/05/06 08:52 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sitting up all night unable to sleep and then having to get ready to go out at 7 am and sit for an hour listening to an engaged tone on the phone in the hope I can get through to my doctor's surgery in among all the other patients phoning - which is the only way to get a doctor's appointment these days thanks to my surgery's new appointments system. (If I don't get through by 9am I have to give up and try again the next day) razz

<yawn>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#206015 02/09/06 12:35 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well,

I think this particular pet peeve of mine concerns a very local phenomenon.

Here, whenever you arrive at a mall or even a cafe you will be delayed by a guard who checks to make sure you don't have any weapons and/or bombs on you.

I'm really fine with that part - after all they are there for everyone's safety and this method works.

The annoying thing is when I reach Jerusalem by bus. Again, when you enter the station you go through a short security check which includes either the guard waving an impressive wand around you and going through your bag/large purse/world traveler backpack or going through one of those electro-magnetic gates (like the ones you have at an airport) and having your pack (whatever size) x-rayed.

No big deal right?

Well, it is when people get involved in the process!

All this equipment has been there for at least a year but still people try to go through the electronic gate with:
  • change in their pockets
  • with their cell phone in their pocket or hung around their necks
  • with keys in their pocket
  • or (and this is my favorite) while talking on their cell phone!

Just get everything organized before you reach the station!

Oh, and the best part: some people complain about these safety precautions and the delay and later you see them holding up the line with one, or all of the listed above acts of stupidity.

That's it for now, I think.
Avia (who is traveling to Jerusalem, by bus, this evening)

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
#206016 02/09/06 06:15 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
or (and this is my favorite) while talking on their cell phone!
You can never fail to be surprised by just how dumb some people are. I remember when I worked in the local library, we often had to take trolley loads of books just in to the main public area to check through the card catalogue while processing them.

These books couldn't be taken out by readers until they were processed, labelled, catalogued, etc, so we'd always stick a huge notice on the sides of the trolley to say so. The notices covered the shelves of books.

It was always a source of amazement how often you'd turn around to find some reader lifting up the notice to get to the books underneath and then trying to make off with them.

Never failed.

And then, classic, they'd either say, "Oh, didn't realise." or, my favourite, "Oh, I didn't notice the sign." You just lifted it up to get underneath it, you moron! How could you not see it? dizzy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#206017 02/09/06 08:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
1. Users who don't read the instructions on the screen. Doesn't matter how big you make the notice, or how non-technical and succinct you make it, they still won't read it. They prefer to click, get stuck, and then phone for help.

2. Users who ask for instructions to be specially written and made easily available, and then don't read them.

3. Users who don't read the informative or instructional emails I send them.

4. Users who think disk storage is infinite.

5. Users who think low disk storage is an IT problem and definitely not, under any circumstances whatsoever, their problem.

6. Users who think that a few scraps of knowledge about their home computer equates to being an expert on professional, business-level computing, causing them to make suggestions and requests which are so preposterous that you just don't know where to start telling them how wrong or stupid they are.

7. And just for a change of pace, staff who lose the information I email them and need me to re-locate and resend it.

8. Staff who never put anything away and then turn to me for a solution when the installation CD they need has mysteriously got lost.

There. That was fun. I feel so much better now. laugh

Yvonne

#206018 02/09/06 05:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
1. Users who don't read the instructions on the screen. Doesn't matter how big you make the notice, or how non-technical and succinct you make it, they still won't read it. They prefer to click, get stuck, and then phone for help.
blush I did that.

Was getting some HTML software off the web. Downloaded, installed. Didn't work. Updated. Didn't work. Uninstalled. Uninstalling triggered an auto-form asking if I wanted to tell the company why I'd gotten rid of the software.

So, I decided to fill it out. Said I couldn't get it work on my system.

Half an hour later, I got an email from the developers explaining that the latest Windows security update interfered with the software's function, and that there was a patch available.

Downloaded and installed the patch, and *poof*, it worked!

I emailed them back, thanking them for their help and suggesting that they put up a notice on the download page that you need the patch.

Quick reply: There is one.

Went to check. Didn't see it. Decided to take a more careful look.

And there, at the top of the page, in giant red "this is hugely important; read it now or you're an idiot" letters, was a notice about the problem and the patch.

The reason I didn't see it? I'm so used to that sort of thing being used to sell virtual snake oil that I automatically block it out. The content was recognized and disregarded before it ever made it to the conscious level. I had to stop, realize there was a part of the page I hadn't actually looked at, scroll back up, and consciously force myself to override the mental filters before I could actually read the text.

Oops.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard