Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
... "The ring, Harry. Marvolo's ring. And a terrible curse there was upon it too. Had it not been — forgive me the lack of seemly modesty — for my own prodigious skill, and for Professor Snape's timely action when I returned to Hogwarts, desperately injured, I might not have lived to tell the tale. ...
If Snape had wanted Dumbledore dead all along, why proceed with 'timely action' that kept him alive?
Funny. He didn't live to tell the tale. He had ample opportunity but never wanted to. Guess he was too slow to recognize a curse and the ring destroyed his hand and almost killed him. My guess is that Snape made him a potion that cured him.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
My guess is that Snape made him a potion that cured him.
I was thinking along the lines of a countercurse, but your guess somehow makes more sense.
Mind if I use it in a fic I'm working on?

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
My guess is that Snape made him a potion that cured him.
I was thinking along the lines of a countercurse, but your guess somehow makes more sense.
Mind if I use it in a fic I'm working on?

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
You write HP fic? Good for you.

Go for it if you want to use that idea.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, I recently started writing one... I don't know how it's going to turn out, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks anyway!

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've got a new theory about Snape. Well, at least new to me since I don't read HP websites.

I'm figuring that Snape was in love with Lily because of the way she stood up for him against James and company, and that's why Dumbledore felt that Snape's regret was genuine. As Dumbledore says, love is the most powerful of magics that even Voldemort cannot withstand or comprehend. And that also somewhat explains Snape's behavior towards Harry.

While Snape was probably in love with Lily, he despised James. The dislike of James shows with his total disrespect and near antipathy towards Harry. But, because of Lily, he actually does quite a bit to protect Harry. He was the one who notified the OotP when the kids went to the Ministry. He protected Harry from Dolores Umbridge whenever he could. And he stopped the Death Eaters from killing Harry. I seriously doubt Voldemort would have cried any tears if a Death Eater brought Harry's lifeless body before him or even took him captive.

I think JKR is trying to say that love is the most powerful thing through how Lily's sacrifice protected him against Voldemort as long as he was living with blood relatives. And Voldemort could not maintain his possession of Harry because of love. Why not have Snape's love of Lily to be what eventually redeems him or perhaps has him sacrifice himself for Harry (my prediction for book 7)?

-- Roger

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
This thought occurred to me, too - it would be the only thing that would give Snape's regret enough credit to stand alone as the reason why Dumbledore trusts him. (Although I'm willing to bet there are some HP fans out there that would think it more likely for Snape to have fallen for James razz razz

See ya,
AnnaBtG. (who loves all the speculation, but still hopes that JKR will manage to surprise her in Book 7)

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Ooh, nice theory, Roger.

The only theory I'd come up with is that Snape made an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore. JKR *does* like to introduce things for them to come up later... So who knows.

AnnaBtG. (who loves all the speculation, but still hopes that JKR will manage to surprise her in Book 7)
Oh, me too! It was great for me to have read HBP without any spoilers - I hadn't even known that someone was going to die. :p So I'm really hoping to be surprised. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
As I've already said, I'm writing a HP fic. So, I was looking for another reason why Dumbledore would trust Snape so blindly (I don't have the writing skill to write about a Snape in love with Lily). And I think I came up with something.

As we know, James once saved Snape's life. What if Snape felt remorse because he practically signed the death warrant of the man who saved his life?
We saw (in Book 3, IIRC) that Snape does not consider James's action an act of bravery, but rather one of cowardice, and got angry when Harry mentioned it. So it is probable that Dumbledore, who knows about the fact, understood Snape's remorse was genuine, but doesn't reveal it as the reason Snape switched sides because he knows Snape doesn't like to think about it. After all, Dumbledore tells Harry that his father saved Snape's life in Book 1, as the reason why Snape has been trying to protect him all along. Maybe Snape is trying to make up for failing to save James's life.

Makes any sense? help

BTW... Sara, that comment of yours is what inspired my new signature smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard