Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#203146 05/13/05 05:55 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This quiz is so much fun! It's kind of long - 100 questions - but it really does test you because it requires you to fill in the blanks rather than guess from a multiple choice list.

I'm a big-time child of the 80s, so this was a great walk down memory lane.

My score: 111.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Goshdarn it - now I have half these songs playing in my head. smile1

Haven't had time yet to do the whole thing, so I'll come back to it later. For now, just did a quick skim. Ah, the nostalgia.

BTW, what's a Church Lady?

/me wanders off, singing, "I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two/Lying awake intent on tuning in on you..."

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Ouch! I got 34.1, but a lot of my mistakes were spelling errors :p .

BTW, what's a Church Lady?
It's a character Mike Meyers played on Saturday Night Live.

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
It was Dana Carvey, not Mike Myers. Fairly easy to recognize with his blond hair, even though Dana wore a grey-ish wig.

[Linked Image]

Some of the Church Lady's catch phrases were "Well, isn't that special" and "Could it be... SATAN?"

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not bad. 75.85 for me. I can't believe I missed These Dreams by Heart! Actually, I can't believe those words just came out of my mouth. Did anyone sing while they were taking this quiz? goofy I sometimes had to start at the beginning of a song just to sing my way through the part in question.

Anywho, that was muy fun.
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
25.5 points. blush

And that included the five bonus points for filling in the 'where did you see this quiz' box -- which I don't deserve because I lied. (I said, "Word of mouth," because it was easier than explaining this or giving a url.) Oh, and I got two points for The Buggles.

The answer sheet's comment about The Buggles is completely wrong to suggest that I've watched too much MTV, though. The Age Of Plastic was the first pop LP I ever bought, and when it was released on CD, I had to buy that too. LabRat, I'd say that's worse that having the 45 stashed away somewhere.

Maybe if I'd ever actually watched MTV I might actually have got some more of these right.

All I can say is that I gave up reading the actual answers about half way through the list. I felt pummelled by the comments, mostly along the lines of, "Were you even a part of the '80s?"

Apparently not. wink

What's even more scarey is that I know even less about the music of the 90s.

Chris

Merriwether
Merriwether
Okie, took the test. Again. Cause I took it about a year ago and forgot my score. laugh After going back and actually picking an age range (oops), I got a 79.5. How can What's Love Got To Do With It be an obscure song? It's more well known than Private Dancer... (and I still have the record somewhere.. the 78)

/me ponders using the quiz to go on a downloading spree

Of course, just because you've heard of Video Killed the Radio Star, doesn't mean you watched MTV. Wedding Singer, anyone? (and I think Billy Idol was at that wedding. Hah!)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, this was *so* much fun... I got 58.2 -- that was with the ten bonus points for knowing the beginning to Hotel California, which apparently is rare...

thanks, Lynn!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just popping back in briefly to say I've never watched MTV! <G> I first heard VKTRS on ...the radio funnily enough. Radio 1. Loved it to bits and bought the single.

BTW, is it just me or are the lyrics to no. 94 wrong? If it's the song I'm thinking of anyway. "Like a [blank], cutting for the very first time" ? dizzy

LabRat, I'd say that's worse that having the 45 stashed away somewhere.
Ah, but did you also buy B A Robertson's Bang Bang? Yes, I'm ashamed. blush Slightly redeemed myself by buying Sad Cafe's Every Day Hurts in the same week though.

Got to go - Stuart's back from a week in Southport and just announced he's brought back a pressie for yours truly... laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
By only completing the ones I *really* knew (no guessing, no spreading words around in random) I got a 41.85.

But no Scorpions at all? Tsk, tsk... The quiz-setter should take a trip to Europe.

(I was born in 1988... was choosing that Church Lady the correct item I was born before?)

/me ponders using the quiz to go on a downloading spree
My thought exactly, Karen!

Interesting quiz!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
FUN!!! I don't know over half of the songs... But I've already found one of my personal favorites (Livin' on a prayer)

EDITED: Scored 28.65% (with a 10% bonus for being too young to remember... though I actually don't know whether I gave the correct age reference... Just when exactly were Just say no and Church lady?)

Cris
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, this will come as no surprise to those who know me: 16.675. laugh

Now, if you'd played me the tunes...

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The quiz-setter should take a trip to Europe.
Well, at least he or she didn't leave Roxette and U2 out (in fact, there were two U2 songs)

Cris
Merriwether
Merriwether
BTW, is it just me or are the lyrics to no. 94 wrong? If it's the song I'm thinking of anyway. "Like a [blank], cutting for the very first time" ? dizzy
Question 94 is "Like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time". It's Weird Al Yankovic's parody of Madonna's Like A Virgin.

Just when exactly were Just say no and Church lady?)
Hrm, not sure of exact years. Just Say No was the anti-drug campaign slogan used by First Lady Nancy Reagan. Dana Carvey was on SNL between '86-'93, so Church Lady is somewhere between there.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Eh, Karen beat me to the answer! I'll just dump the contents of this post!

/me wanders off still singing 80s songs hehe

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hrm, not sure of exact years. Just Say No was the anti-drug campaign slogan used by First Lady Nancy Reagan. Dana Carvey was on SNL between '86-'93, so Church Lady is somewhere between there.
Guess I'm older than what I said then goofy I guess I lose my 10% bonus for being too young laugh

Cris
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I got a 15! Better than I thought I'd do. And there were actually three other songs I should have gotten. Duh! /me smacks forehead. smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Question 94 is "Like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time". It's Weird Al Yankovic's parody of Madonna's Like A Virgin.
Ah. An American-centric question. That explains it. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I got a 91. Born in '82, so I said "Just say no", but that might have been wrong. But this was so much fun! I love lyrics quizzes smile1

Kaylle

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I got 75 but I am a child of the 70's. I was a teen in the 70's in my 20's in the 80's. Some of them I just could not get though they were right there on the tip of my tongue, just out of reach of this old brain. Then when I saw the answers I was going "oh yeah how could I have forgotten that one!" Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard