Next Thread
Print Thread
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
What an incredible Friday it was for TV.

Reckoning was so heart-stopping. I loved how even though all the 4 "core team" members were so far from each other, they were all fighting the same enemy at the same time - a team, despite the distance.

Watching Sam shooting at the replicators and then switching to Jack doing exactly the same thing. Heros to the very end.

And of course, Daniel - and his phoenix tendencies coming into play yet again.

Teal'c on the ship fighting off the same enemy, and then the creepy and unnatural temporary alliance between Baal and the Tauri (earthlings for those of you who don't watch the show) was really fascinating.

Sam and her dad- I love watching them together. The 2 actors look so much alike, and have that great father/daughter dynamic - down to the frustration with each other. Sam has grown past the need to secure his approval, but still, when he gives it, that smile of hers...

It's a special show, with a special team, and Labrat, if you are reading this, I am also a major jack/sam shipper. I love to watch that scene in Divide & Conquer where we see that flashback to them separated by that force shield - and that burning intensity in his eyes when he realizes he can't save her. It's just so incredible how much emotion RDA projects in that one scene. You really feel that Jack really loves Sam in that instant.

And why wouldn't he? She is eminently loveable. Saved the world so many times with her quick-witted brilliance and never once does she stand back and say 'Hey, everyone, sing my praises.'

As her creepy replicarter double was telling her, she has untapped potential - she probably could conquer a galaxy if she so decided... but she wouldn't do something like that. Too much integrity.

Just an incredible show, reaching down and pulling out some amazing performances even in season 8 w hen so many other shows get tired.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Absolutely agree, L! I sort of had a freak attack after watching Reckoning II. goofy When those Replicators started pouring through the gate, I thought my heart might stop. <g>

Definitely one of the best episodes I've ever seen. Here's the review I posted on Gateworld at the time. It's...ahem...a little long. I liked this one - can you tell? <g>

Wow.

I'll say that again.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

This was one awesome episode. It was more than awesome. Awesome just doesn't do it justice. It was...epic. I'm still in a state of shock! How the heck did they manage to pack all of that into one hour?!? It felt more like three. I really felt as though I'd just watched a movie by the credits and couldn't believe I'd only been there an hour.

Things that were great about this episode:

* Carter, Jacob and Selmac working as a team to solve the problem of the hidden weapon. I'd just been thinking last week that it's been a long time since we've heard from Selmac and I've missed that duality of personality that was used so effectively in episodes like Seth. Loved the constant zipping back and forth between the two from moment to moment as they talked to Sam. Those scenes reminded me a little of Full Circle in atmosphere. Especially liked Selmac's reaction when Sam questioned his results. LOL.

*Bra'tac. Didn't have much to do – like Teal'c, who just had to stand and look smug a lot – but did love his 'I think things are about to get...bad'.

*Ba'al. Ba'al was just wonderful. An absolute joy from start to finish. So glad he escaped at the end. He's just too delicious to kill.

* Sam and Ba'al's sparring. She really did make the most this week of being in charge and handled it very well. More of this please!

* Some nice tie-backs to earlier episodes. Like the weapon having the same block system as the time device in WOO. And Sam referring to Ba'al tampering with the gates in Avenger 2.0. Nice little touches there. Also Sam's "Geez, you blow up one little sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water..." was cute.

* Jacob/Selmac's disgust at being forced to team up with Ba'al to get the weapon working:

"Lucky guess."
"Not so all-knowing, huh?"
"What's he still doing here?"
"Now that was just creepy."

* Daniel. Oh, what can you say about Daniel? What a hero. He was just superb. Adored him in all of his scenes with RepliCarter (AT was terrific too). From his repeated "Hmmmmm...you know maybe I will co-operate with you. Oh wait – almost forgot you're an evil killing machine – nope. No chance!" LOL. To his battle with her – superbly acted by both of them!.

RepliCarter: You tricked me.
Daniel: You tricked me, first.

Daniel: Trying to leave? Sorry. A little more time in Danny's world.

Saving the day – WTG, Daniel! Freezing the replicators just at the right moment to save the rest of SG1 and a few others. And... OMG! OMG! She killed Daniel! That total, total cow! And it was done so well. No huge dramatic moment. Just wham, out of the blue, very casual and there was Daniel lying there dying. Awk! Somehow that made it seem all the more...real. And MS was superb in those scenes. No writhing about in agony. Just quietly laying down and dying. <sob>

* Replicators pouring out of the gate and into the SGC! Ho-ly cow – I think my heart stopped. I just wasn't expecting that. When the screens started going haywire and Walter said it looked like someone was hacking into the system, I just assumed it was Ba'al getting the gates ready. That was one awesome dramatic moment. I almost had heart failure on the spot. Loved that one replicator trying to push the blast door of the gate room open as it was closing and the SF shooting it.

* And talking of awesome - space battles! Wow – all those motherships advancing on Ba'al's fleet. And all those yellow dots just suddenly popping into place on the screen, out of the blue. Very effective!

* Those shots of gates all over the galaxy suddenly firing up and whooshing into life. Really liked that those were stock shots, revisits to planets we've already been. Another nice touch.

* Totally serious, grim, Replicator-*** -kicking, worried-for-his-people Jack! Oh, how I've missed you!

* All of the scenes in the SGC fighting the Replicators. Genuine tension! I don't think those things have ever been as spooky and terrifying! Reynolds was fun. Great to see Silar in the mix. And Walter was terrific, as always, even though a bit in the background.

* Jack rescuing Siler.

Jack: [indicating the explosive Reynolds has just placed on the door] You should use more than one of those.
Reynolds: Sir?
Jack: It's a blast door? [The finger gestures that accompanied this were hilarious]

Siler: Thank you, sir!
Jack: I expect to be put in your will, Siler
Siler: Already in there, sir.
Jack: Hey, that's...weird.

Also just loved the quiet way Jack said, "Fire in the hole." No reason. Just because. <G> Be still my heart.

* Jack and Reynolds' reactions when the replicators froze and they decided, what the hell, let's just shoot them some more, even if they aren't moving. ROTFL

* The slo mo focus on all four members of SG1, one by one, as individually they faced death, in the seconds before the weapon kicked into life. Huge lump in my throat and snuffling into my Kleenex at that point.

* And while we're at it – the mountain opening up and the weapon. Also the replicator ship landing on Dakara. Managing to be both graceful and totally graceless and clunky all at the same time as it did. Brilliant SFX in this episode – those involved in those should be well proud of themselves. They excelled themselves.

* Glad they told us that Thor was safe. I'd been beginning to think they were going to forget about him, out there fighting off replicators. But they got him in in the end. Whew.

Sam: He says he'll pay us a visit...just as soon as he gets his consciousness out of the computer and into a new body.
Jack: That just never gets old, does it.

Niggles:

Hardly any. It would be churlish to nitpick such a wonderful episode. But...

Joe Mallozzi, you need a serious slapping! <g> Reckoning I and II would have made good final ever episodes?!?!?! Are you serious? What were you on, man? Yeah, riiiight, they would. Only if you wanted plane loads of fans heading in your direction with baseball bats. Listen up carefully – I shall say this only once. Never...ever get the idea in your heads that you can leave us in limbo with one of SG1 bleeding his life out on the floor dying and not ever tell us what happened to him and then stick 'The End. Final. Zip. No more." on it! I guarantee you – we will not be happy with that as the last ever episode of Stargate. Trust me on this one.

If I really had to find a nitpick to be churlish about (say if my life depended on it or something <G>) it would be that the second half of this episode was had so much WOW factor in it and was so packed full of edge of the seat action, it kind of overshadowed part one of Reckoning and the first half of Reckoning II, which look staid and plodding by comparison. But that would really, really be reaching for something to whine about. And these have their charms too.

Summary – I bet I've only scratched the surface of pointing out the good moments in this one. It's going to take a few viewings to take it all in and sure I've missed mentioning some choice bits. I actually got to watch the first half and then got interrupted. Up till that point I had been ready to come in here and say it was a good episode, that I'd really enjoyed it, but that it hadn't been anything terribly special. Then I managed to get back to the disk and bam! I was ambushed and whacked over the head by the second half which was just non-stop, edge of the seat, a breathless rollercoaster ride all the way to the end credits.

I give this one 100 out of 10. Kudos, to all concerned. This was just one terrific, awesome episode. Probably the best I've ever seen.
Course...at this point I had yet to see Threads or Moebius I and II. L - you are in for an amazing treat in the next couple of weeks. wink Enjoy! I alternated tears with whoops of delight and almost broke ribs laughing at various points, watching those last three episodes.

And, hey, you (or anyone else) want to rave, discuss, ship to your little heart's content or generally enthuse...mail me any time. laugh Always up for some deep Stargate thought.

On ship, I too love the way that the relationship is so subtle - many times not about what is said, but all about the eyes and the way they share a look. Those two pack so much into just one glance. One moment I watched just last night (finally got S7 boxed set and currently in hog heaven <G>), in Evolution II where Jack stops by Sam's lab to let her know that he's going off to find Daniel is such a powerful example of that. Not much is said, but boy the power of underlying emotions in those eyes speaks a whole wealth of messages. <waffy sigh>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
LabRat, what a powerful and beautiful review of a very intense episode.

Every single thing you said about it resonated so true with me. I too was in tears watching the slow-mo.

I've been spoiled a bit, so I know what's coming, and I don't mind the knowing, because I was very very very much in belief all along that what is going to happen was never going to happen.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
BE WARNED! SPOILERS FOR THREADS!

Yeah, I knew a lot of what was coming for Threads/Moebius in advance too. I keep telling myself I'm not going to spoil myself, but somehow I always end up in that spoiler section. <sigh> I simply can't resist.

I have to say that by the time we got to Threads I really wasn't sure what TPTB were planning. I was hoping that they would be sensible - but they've proved in the past they can ignore the majority of fans when they want to and things had become so clouded - I just wasn't sure any longer which way they were going to jump.

I have to say that Threads was an episode I sat down to watch with as much dread and trepidation as I did anticipation! It was pathetic! I was a complete and utter nervous wreck. Knot in my stomach, the whole works. By the time it got to Tuesday night I was fully prepared to be let down and disappointed and sure things were NOT going to go my way.

You can imagine the whoops and running around the room cheering when THOSE scenes happened. <g> Boy, was I relieved. thumbsup

Do let me know what you think of those episodes when they roll around - I'm keen to see what you think after all that anticipation. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks LabRat! I can't wait. Threads is on Friday!

I wept after Beneath the Surface... the way Jack said "... Sir..." realizing that he and Sam could never have what they wanted so badly.

And then... Pete Shanahan. Ye gads!

So, yeah - it's been a long time coming.

L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
One more thing... I really had convinced myself that Sam and Jack would never be. Especially as they really toned down Jack's presence (and yeah, I get that RDA wants to be with his daughter. I have 2 kids myself, and I know time spent apart from them would be painful at this stage in their lives), but still - they just seemed so lukewarm at times.

It hurt too, because the intensity that they showed in Season 4 really sparked the shipper-interest in me - so to see it kind of fade a bit... not so fun.

And then, Grace.. and I thought - oh that's it. It's just never going to happen.

I had all but given up any hope, figuring that Sam would marry Pete, and that would be that... even seeing the early spoilers for Threads led me to feel kind of downhearted.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
L - since it just seems to be thee and me in this conversation <G>, why don't you send me your eddress and we can continue this in depth? It's fun. <G>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
No, don't stop! I am not watching the same season as y'all (I just finished s3 on DVD (1st one of s4 is in the mail! yay!) and I'm watching one season behind in syndication).

But I'm really enjoying this conversation. Although I have to say, while I was initially a Sam/Jack shipper, the more episodes I see (of all the seasons), the more I see that as something that not only CAN never happen, but probably shouldn't.

Maybe I'll change my mind as I watch s4. That's where I came in the first time through. goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Is that show still on?

Tank (who wonders if Ben Bowder is going to be a salve to those who will miss Jack, or a 'jump the shark' for the show)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There are many levels of J/S ship, I've discovered over the years. For myself, I wouldn't like to see any real resolution to the relationship on screen. I enjoy the subtle, low-key ship they've had over the years. Although I will confess that S4 - when they went all out with the ship - is my favourite season of all. Just to be perverse. <g> Really though, at the end of the day, so long as I know that at some point in the future, Jack and Sam end up together and living happily ever after, I'll be content. I don't have to see that resolution on screen though.

As for S9:

SPOILERS AHEAD:

- I'll admit to some trepidation and anxiety about how things will pan out. Not just because of the introduction of BB's character, Cameron Mitchell. There are just so many changes coming in all at once and that's always a very tough thing to pull off in a show.

And a few of them I tend to see as a mistake at the moment. I think it's a huge mistake to bring in not one but two big names from another successful SF show. Plus, although I really enjoyed the episode, I wasn't intrigued enough with Vala in Prometheus Unbound that I'm keen to see her in the first five episodes of S9.

And I've always said that if they had to get rid of Janet Frasier [a huge mistake all on its own imo], then replacing her with another white female Chief MO is an error.

Then there's a new CO, the shift in mythology to Arthurian legend - which seems offkey and out of kilter with the show's premise right now, the fact that we'll be missing not just Jack but Carter for the first five episodes of the season...a lot of change to sit still for.

But, on the whole, I'm hoping my misgivings will be proved groundless and certainly if they do it right and ease in the new characters and plots with skill and care, making sure they stay true to the show, then it's going to be an exciting year ahead.

I just don't know how I'm going to cope with the absence of Jack and, by logical extension I guess, unless they're very clever, the absence of J/S ship, too.

Still, guess these uncertainties are what make life fun. <G>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Blogger
Blogger
A small favor to ask.

I'm a HUGE SG/SG1 fan, but alas, not a member of any fandom as such. And since I'm not in any group, I'm not too up on the lingo and abbreviations and such.

I was wonder if when someone puts out an abbreviation, at least the first time, could they perhaps put the meaning in parenthesis or vice versa? In other words, something like this:

RDA (Richard Dean Anderson)

After that, of course, since it's a LOT easier to write RDA than his whole name, I'd be okay with it ;-) I know it's a lot to ask, but was hoping the posters could. Please?

Also, I need some translation for a few that are in the posts prior to this one, if someone would be so kind:

LabRat, you wrote:
"RepliCarter (AT was terrific too)"
Who's AT?

"and the SF shooting it"
What's the SF?

Who's Joe Mallozzi?

What's the 'J/S ship' about? Is that the underlying theme going on between Jack and Samantha that they both love each other but won't say it or act on it?

LabRat--How did you get to see Threads and Moebius I and II before it was even aired in the US? WHERE are you??? I want to be there too! Or am I watching the wrong channel?

LabRat--HOW do you have spoilers for S9???? I'm an SO jealous!

Janet Frasier--was that the doc from a few season back who died in battle?

Hope some kind souls wouldn't mind answering my questions.

btw, LabRat, I KNEW you were an SG fan from your signatures. LOVE the different ones you've chosen!!! :-D

Bobbett

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Warning, spoilers for "Threads"...

Well, I for one thought the J/S ship had run aground after the brief flirtation of S4. Now all of a sudden, it's back with full force. Wow! I sure didn't expect that. In the space of one episode, we find out Jack had a secret girlfriend, Pete gets permanent shore leave, Jack is given his walking papers, and Sam almost admits it until the secret girlfriend did the 'ole Jimmy-like interruptus routine.

I haven't seen any spoilers for S9, but I wonder if Jack really takes up what's-her-name's (seriously I didn't remember her at all and am too lazy to look up her name) advice to retire and then campaign to get re-appointed as head of the SGC as a civilian. Personally, I don't see how that clears the way for the J/S ship to undock and head out to sea since Jack would still be her boss. It's not just two grades of rank that separate them.

One question about Jacob Carter. They mentioned that he'd been a T'okra for four years. I could have sworn he was dying of cancer in the first season. It's now the end of the eighth season. Hasn't he been around practically from the beginning? If he hasn't, my mind's been playing tricks on me. I'm going to miss him. Anybody know why they killed him off?

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
After that, of course, since it's a LOT easier to write RDA than his whole name, I'd be okay with it ;-) I know it's a lot to ask, but was hoping the posters could. Please?
Not a lot to ask at all, Bobbett. smile I'm just used to posting on the Stargate forum, Gateworld, it's become a habit. wink So anything you don't recognise or understand, just holler. smile

LabRat, you wrote:
"RepliCarter (AT was terrific too)"
Who's AT?
Amanda Tapping who plays Major Samantha Carter [and also her evil replicator double of course. <g> Dubbed RepliCarter by fans.]

"and the SF shooting it"
What's the SF?
Security Force - basically the SGC soldiers who you see guarding the gate and gateroom. I know the acronym doesn't match up. That always bugs me, I have to say. It's used for an individual, when it's a plural - but I digress. <G>

Who's Joe Mallozzi?
Executive Co-Producer [think that's his title now] and part of the prolific writing team of Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, who have written many of the episodes for the show. Joe is a fairly frequent visitor over at Gateworld, where he posts and answers fan questions whenever he gets the time. Including dropping hints on what's upcoming in future seasons.

What's the 'J/S ship' about? Is that the underlying theme going on between Jack and Samantha that they both love each other but won't say it or act on it?
You pretty much got it. Most fandoms, if they have such a pairing on a show, have fans called shippers. For relationship. They love watching 'ship' - the interactions between the two characters, in this case Jack and Sam. I'm definitely in the J/S shipper camp. Love that stuff.

With Stargate there are various other factions though - too many to mention. Shippers don't always get the source of their ship from the show. Sometimes they get it from fanfic. Even if it doesn't exist on a show, you will often find a fan faction devoted to it. They're imaginative beggers. goofy

So in Stargate we have Jack/Sara [Jack's wife] shippers. Sam/Teal'c shippers. Sam/Daniel shippers. And then we won't get into the Daniel/Jack and Sam/Janet pairings... <g>

Basically, any pairing in a show you can think of - whether it's on screen or not - there'll be someone shipping over it.

And then, of course, you have the anti-shippers. Who will complain if Jack so much as glances at Sam and write copious volumes in the forum about how it's ruining the show. wink

LabRat--How did you get to see Threads and Moebius I and II before it was even aired in the US? WHERE are you??? I want to be there too! Or am I watching the wrong channel?
LOL. No, not at all. It's because you guys in the US have a long hiatus between the first and second half of a season. In the US you get the first half first. Then - I think it's four months or so isn't it? - a break. And then the show returns for it's second half after that.

In the UK, we don't have that break. Stargate premiere starts and we roll straight through the season week by week till the finale. [We have a small one or two week break over the Christmas period]

That means that each season you guys get the first half first and we have to go scrabbling through the net looking for downloads. <g> Then the situation reverses and we get the second half first. At that point, we tend to gloat to make up for the fact you got the first half before us. laugh

LabRat--HOW do you have spoilers for S9???? I'm an SO jealous!
There are a few spoiler sites on the net. But these days I get most of mine from Gateworld. It's the premiere fan site and it has good and close connections with the show. So they tend to get all the good stuff first. Plus, it has a fairly good forum and all kinds of other goodies. You can find it here

Spoilers are usually flagged up on the homepage under Stargate News. But you'll also find them in the section set up for S9. Oh, and don't forget to check the S9 spoilers section in the forum. Where you'll find a lot of speculation going on based on the various spoilers. I haven't actually been in there for a few weeks, as I'm still holding to my 'This season I'm not going to spoil myself...much' theory. But as we already know the titles of the first four S9 episodes and some sketchy details on them, I'm sure the forum is buzzing by now. <g>

Janet Frasier--was that the doc from a few season back who died in battle?
Yes, that's right. Not a popular decision. <g> Huge mistake imo.

And thanks! I generally pick what amuses me whenever I remember it - usually after watching an episode on DVD - and what makes me chuckle when I read it again.

Roger: [Spoilers for S9]

I haven't seen any spoilers for S9, but I wonder if Jack really takes up what's-her-name's (seriously I didn't remember her at all and am too lazy to look up her name) advice to retire and then campaign to get re-appointed as head of the SGC as a civilian. Personally, I don't see how that clears the way for the J/S ship to undock and head out to sea since Jack would still be her boss. It's not just two grades of rank that separate them.
Spoilers for S9 tell us that Jack has been promoted as head of Homeworld Security - there is no word yet just what has happened to Hammond, currently in that position. He is now working in Washington and has hand-picked his replacement at the SGC. Can't remember the name of the General, but he's being played by Beau Bridges. I assume, as he's been picked by Jack, that they won't be playing him as the hard-assed, thorn in the side of SG1, but as an ally. But time will tell.

There has been some fan speculation that this frees the way for Jack and Sam to get together. Other fans point out that Jack would still be Sam's CO in this position, just more removed along the chain of command. I don't know how the Air Force operates, so whether this will work or not, I don't know. That's the lowdown so far though.

One question about Jacob Carter. They mentioned that he'd been a T'okra for four years. I could have sworn he was dying of cancer in the first season. It's now the end of the eighth season. Hasn't he been around practically from the beginning? If he hasn't, my mind's been playing tricks on me. I'm going to miss him. Anybody know why they killed him off?
You're not alone in being puzzled by that one, Roger. Actually, Jacob was dying of cancer in the two part episode, The Tok'ra, in season two. So it should be six years, not four. Fans have been asking and also asking whether the dialogue will be looped on the DVDs to take account of what does seems to be a continuity error. I watched Threads again yesterday and have to admit it being stated as four years not once but twice really grated on me. <g> I think partly because it's quite unusual with Stargate for them to slip up in this way.

No official reason why they killed off Jacob. They have had a rather annoying propensity in recent years to say, 'Hey, this is our last season - who can we massacre before the finale?' So it could just be Last Season Syndrome. Several fans believe Jacob was sacrificed just to provide a dramatic catalyst for Jack and Sam to renew their relationship. And aren't happy about it.

There is speculation that the actor playing Jacob didn't want to do it any more. You remember he was basically written out in S7 when Jacob told Sam he'd have to leave and she wouldn't see him for a time.

Maybe they'll tell us on the audio commentary what possessed them to kill off one of the fans' most favourite characters. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ohboy. I was hesitant to read this thread, since it says Threads and Moebius spoilers. I'd been doing semi-well staying away from spoilers... now that I've seen Threads, and am anxiously waiting for Friday.. I figured I'd read. laugh

First, before I do spoiler space, I just gotta says... OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG FLAG!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG *faints* (what is it with me and men with bare chests?

S
M
E
L
L
I
N
G

S
A
L
T
S

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG FISHING!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG *gibbers incoherently*

I knew I was looking forward to that ep for a reason. I'm sad the hubby deleted the episode from the DVR so I can't watch it again.. I'll have to wait till they reair it. Or... *eyes the net* Hrm.

I am sad to see Jacob die. But, as he pointed out, he had a new lease on life. (Looking at it from in-universe point of view) I was laughing, though, because Jacob was a shipper. Especially when he told Pete that he couldn't call him Dad.... but Jack's done it lots of times. *giggles*

*Please* tell me they don't undo what happened in Threads with what happens in Moebius? Don't have to go further than that, just, ya know, so I don't panic and stuff.

I'm wondering if they're going to do anything with the new CMO.. and specifically, the actress playing her. I mean, just because Lexa Doig and Michael Shanks are married doesn't automatically mean "insert ship here"... tho it might be funny.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Several fans believe Jacob was sacrificed just to provide a dramatic catalyst for Jack and Sam to renew their relationship. And aren't happy about it.
Count me as one of those who wouldn't be happy about it if that were the case. That's funny you said that because in my original post, I was going to say that I hope they didn't kill him off just to give Jack an excuse to put an arm around Sam. I deleted it at the last moment thinking that I shouldn't be THAT cynical. LOL!

A new SGC head AND a new CMO. Hmm. If Jack stays in the Air Force, despite the promotion, it's still unethical for him to get together with Sam. On the other hand, if he takes the job as a civilian, he certainly could. She's not in his direct chain of command, which she would be since he would be her boss if he stayed as head of SGC. So any of those Sheppard/Weir shippers for Atlantis, I say no way. Not ethical.

I take it you mean by promotion that he's getting a more important position. He's just made Brigadier General. It's unlikely they'd promote him to Major General that quickly, though I suppose it's possible. Earth is technically on a wartime footing. War is the only circumstances where promotions happen that quickly. Anyone catch whether Hammond had three stars on his collar or just two in that episode just a few weeks ago where they aborted an attempt to reach Pegasus? I'm curious if they promoted him to Lieutenant General in his new job?

Thanks for the info, Rat! smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Karen! Was thinking about you all week, wondering if all that spoiler avoidance had been worth it for you. Delighted to hear you had a blast. smile1

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG FLAG!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG *faints* (what is it with me and men with bare chests?
ROTFL! That is a cute scene. Love it. Those Ancients sure do have a thing for nekkid Daniel, don't they? goofy The thing that cracks me up though about that scene (among many moments) is Bra'tac's reaction to Daniel wrapped in the flag. Has to make you wonder about that old man. laugh Teal'c's expression is priceless. You just know he's going to be asking Daniel some serious questions later.

Especially when he told Pete that he couldn't call him Dad.... but Jack's done it lots of times. *giggles*
dizzy You know this didn't even strike me until I read your post. And now I can't stop laughing. You're right. I just never made that connection at all, never noticed it. mecry Gonna miss Jack calling him Dad too.

*Please* tell me they don't undo what happened in Threads with what happens in Moebius? Don't have to go further than that, just, ya know, so I don't panic and stuff.
You can rest easy. <g> After reading through the Gateworld forum, I was twitchy on that one myself before viewing the episodes. But...you're safe. wink Really looking forward to hearing what you guys think of Moebius. I had a blast with it. It's very funny.

I deleted it at the last moment thinking that I shouldn't be THAT cynical. LOL!
LOL, Roger. Trust me, you can't get more cynical than some Gateworld fans. <g>

I haven't gotten the impression from the spoilers that Jack has moved up a rank. Although I would imagine that his current rank would be a little low for the job of Homeworld security, considering it's overseeing a huge amount of organisations. Unless, of course, they have decided to change it to a civilian post. But that would seem unlikely too.

With Jack though, as Kerry pointed out in Threads, you do have to give some leeway as to what the real Air Force would do because he's practically a special case. The President could decide to reward him for all those times he's saved the planet <g> by issuing whatever special orders he likes when it comes to Jack.

As regards how this affects the ship - one possibility we do have to consider of course is whether they will work in the ship around this. It's always possible they won't even touch this angle on things. You know what they're like. <g> We might go back to a post-S4/S5 situation where after throwing us several delicious bones, they rein back.

I must admit at the moment I'm having difficulty seeing how they can include J/S ship in S9 without Jack being on screen. They'd have to be dang clever about it. But, you know...have to wait and see, I guess.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Whew, thanks, Labby. I won't have to worry about screaming at the tv, then. laugh

As for Hammond during Prometheus Unbound, I believe he had 3 stars. I was going to look for a picture, but Gateworld had this nice paragraph

George Hammond - General Hammond has been promoted to Lieutenant General (three stars) since being relieved of command at the S.G.C. ("Lost City, Part 1"). The promotion likely accompanied his appointment by President Hayes to head the new Homeworld Security division -- which he agreed to take only because his experience commanding the Prometheus against Anubis's fleet renewed his vigor. His new office is in Washington, D.C. (likely at the Pentagon).
I don't know the reason for killing off Jacob. I figured it was for the same reason as in Season 7: This may possibly be the last season (again), so let's do something big. So, once again, they've shot themselves in the foot.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Some interesting S9 spoilers can be found here

Must admit reading these has renewed my anticipation for S9 and solved a few niggling concerns I had with what they were planning, from previous spoilers I've read. It all makes a lot more sense now. <g>

There's also a little [teensy] bit on ship. Which is about what I expected to hear.

Also, have to say, <shallow mode on> that new doctor [Claude Knowlton] looks kind of hot. laugh <shallow mode off>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
*falls over laughing at Moebius Pt 1* Huge applause to Amanda and Michael for their acting in that ep. Some of Sam's reactions had me falling out of my chair at some points. I never thought I could describe her as.. frumpy. Gonna go giggle some more.. rotflol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hilarious, wasn't it? And part II just gets better. I was really surprised that they introduced the alternates halfway through part one - I'd been expecting them in part two.

I think it was a bit of a brave decision to make, considering at the time they thought they was going to be the last ever episodes. Not at all usual not to stick with your main cast throughout in those circumstances. But it definitely worked as far as this fan was concerned.

I love the way it gave them the chance to point up all the little differences. Like Jack wanting to know if they were a couple. laugh And AT finally getting to take a swipe at that organs dialogue she's on record as having hated from the pilot. LOL. The homage to Stripes (one of my favourite all time Bill Murray movies) in the English language group scene. And the scene on the boat. Every time I watch Sam pull off that life vest and end up with her hair looking like an explosion in a hayloft I just crack up.

Too many moments to mention.

There's just so much to love in this episode. Michael and Amanda did a terrific job. Amanda in particular really nailed it.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard