Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201211 10/20/04 02:56 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
1) No Lois Lane (probably the only thing I can say bad about this episode)
2) No real angst!
3) Finally a reference to "Crusade"
4) Was the kid playing the Flash cute or what?
5) Lex is turning darker
6) Lana and Jason were actually tolerable
7) A Martha and Jonathan moment
8) Chloe showing some interest in someone other than Clark
9) Clark smiled alot more
10)NO FOTW!!! a big YAY for that. At least not a SMALVILLE FOTW!!

Great episode. CLark acting more responsible and Superman-ly, Lex getting darker....but I miss Lois Lane!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
#201212 10/20/04 03:19 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Heh. Well, I guess the Flash qualifies as the FOTW, but at least he wasn't cheesy. How much do you want to bet this will spawn dozens of crossovers on FF.net?

I'm wondering if they're ever going to bring in Bruce Wayne, or at least a reference to Wayne Corp. or whatever it's called.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#201213 10/20/04 04:54 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
All right, I just watched ... and ... well ... hmm ...

OK, I'll admit it -- for 45 of these 60 minutes, I was bored stiff. I do give them credit for giving us a different type of FOTW but I was still very uninterested through most of it.

Things I did like:

1) Lana and Jason -- really liked her telling him about the tattoo and taking him to the caves. I'm very curious where they are going to go with this continuing storyline. Every episode, I like Jason more and more. This guy gets the best dialogue and he does a fabulous job of delivering his lines. He better not to turn out to be another Adam.

2) The "maybe we could form a club ... or a league" line got the biggest (ok, the only) laugh out of my husband and I. I'm still chuckling over that one. Usually I just kind of give a sardonic "ha ha ha" when they drop in those cute little super-hero lines (like Clark saying "sometimes I feel like two different people!") but this one was unexpected and therefore fun.

3) ActionHero!Lex -- oh baby, you can practice those martial arts in front of me any time! And he's back in purple and black ... looking fine in your traditional duds, Lex. "I tried to go all cowboy but I got handed my spurs" was an awesome line, and the grin on his face when he delivered it had me swooning. Be still my heart! I grin every time I think of it. smile

4) The Clex ... HoYah! Clark was being properly distant during their early scenes together, but he coudn't fight the concern in his voice when Lex got knocked out. And those baby blues were twinkling big time when Lex delivered his cowboy line! Yet they are both posturing when it comes to the 'lies that best friends wouldn't keep' and have both clearly dropped to the same level now -- the way they are circling each other, under the guise of working together, is showing us very clearly what is to come between them.

5) OK, one minor nod I will give to the A-plot -- it's kind of nice to see Clark starting to use his powers more casually. The fact that he'd rather run than drive reminded me a bit of our Alt Clark before and after meeting Lois. He's finally starting to get comfortable with who he is, and realizing that it's OK to think of his powers as a gift rather than a curse.

So all in all, not my kind of episode, but I was able to find a few crumbs so it wasn't a complete waste of an hour.

Now, about that preview ... I'm not spoiler-free so I know what's going to happen (well, the basic plotline, I mean). Not sure I'm going to like what's going to happen, but I'm holding out hope that it could be fun. It could also be scary as hell (and I have a feeling it will be, if the tone of the promo is any indication) and have major long-term repercusions. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Kathy

#201214 10/21/04 03:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, Kathy, this might actually be a first. I kind of disagree with you a little bit on this one. I actually really enjoyed it. At least, I enjoyed it the way that I enjoyed last week's episode - in a light, fun relatively angst-free way. My highlights/lowlights

1. Yay, more Lex. So nice to see him back to his dark self, kicking some butt and taking names. And I so much agree with Kathy, who said it perfectly here:
Yet they are both posturing when it comes to the 'lies that best friends wouldn't keep' and have both clearly dropped to the same level now -- the way they are circling each other, under the guise of working together, is showing us very clearly what is to come between them.
I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's exactly what they were doing - circling each other. On the surface they are claiming forgiveness and friendship, but underneath both of these guys are just broiling pools of mistrust. And to be honest, I prefer it this way as opposed to out-and-out hostility. I know that this level of animosity is soon to come, but I kind of like the uncertainty between these two.

2. Yep, I did like Lana and Jason. I love that Lana actually told Jason what had happened to her - all of it, not just some wishy washy lie. For once it is so cool that a character acts the way a real person might act. That whole "OMG, you won't believe what happened to me!" reaction paired with her desire to have him help her shows me that TPTB really are determined to have Lana grow up. Love Jason. Every little bit of him. And I'm glad that Lana loves him, too - isn't mooning all over Clark.

But...I'm going to ask this because it's been niggling at me since the first episode. Do you think Lana and Jason are doing the nasty? I ask this because she seems so much more mature, and their love scenes are pretty intense. Last night, they were kissing pretty heavily in Jason's bedroom...all got me to thinking that maybe Lana isn't so innocent anymore. Now, I don't mind this little turn of events at all. Rather, I applaud their efforts to keep Lana moving forward rather than stuck forever in the pink zone.

3. I was ready to smack Martha for blowing off Jonathan so much. And can I take a little sidebar to say - Damn! John Schneider is one fine looking man! He's aging so very, very nicely. Yum. Anyway, I was glad she woke up and smelled the coffee, so to speak, even if it did require Psychologist!Lana to help her along.

4. The Flash/Bart - I was prepared to really dislike this guy. Figured he'd be some kind of annoying brat trying to out-superpower Clark. But I really did end up smiling a lot when he and Clark were interacting. I loved that Clark finally found someone with whom he could actually let loose and have fun with his powers. That whole scene with Chloe was wonderful. In fact, I think Bart is so cute, maybe he could pick up the pieces of Chloe's mauled heart? Except I think he might be too young.

5. Which brings me to Clark. My favorite line - when he told the fence's thug "You don't want to be here!" in that Kal-El voice. This whole season so far (all 4 epis) have done so much to show us how Clark is growing comfortable with his abilities, gaining control of them and learning how to harness them. He's got this amazing confidence that I just love. Course, perhaps this is because he borders on Growly!Clark, which I'm always begging for more of.

What surprised me was that I didn't miss Lois as much as I was afraid I would. When she left last week, even though I know she'll be back, I was worried that the show would lose that spark she brought to it. But I still enjoyed it very much. And now I have something to look forward to when she comes back.

As for next week's episode, I am really, really nervous about it. I, too, am spoiled enough to know what all of those preview clips mean. I'm so scared that all of the progress Clark has made is going to be destroyed. I have a feeling I'll be watching it from behind my fingers, cringing much of the time. Only saving grace - looks to be quita a lot of Naked!Tom, so it's a good thing. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#201215 10/21/04 04:37 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I really liked this episode too.
Though I did keep hoping that Clark would tell Bart about his time in Metropolis... how the whole stealing and living big a) is wrong and b) leaves you empty anyways. Either that or I was hoping Bart would know/find out about it and confront Clark on it. oh well.

LOVED the genuine SMILE and enjoyment on Clark's face when they were racing at the end. You know...if Clark hadn't stood there for 2 seconds before following, he might have caught up wink Too bad he can't fly yet... Would have loved if he could (Clark's faster when he flies, right?). That would have made Bart the one to stop and stare wink

Lana's scene in the cave made me wonder if she's thinking that something like that happened to Clark. If that's the "secret" he's been hiding. After all, he is totally into those caves and the symbols, why wouldn't she wonder if he has a mystery tatoo? help (edit: is this right? WB 18 (WKCF) ) My friend here has PVR, but he is going to be getting rid of it sometime in the next week or so, and he's not sure exactly when. My TV at home doesn't pick up the WB good at all otherwise I'd tape it myself. I've read the spoilers and I REALLLY want to see it. It's going to take forever to come to KaZaa... *sigh*

-Breanna

#201216 10/21/04 05:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just my 2 cents, I know I've been absent lately, but RL prevents me from watching these in a timely manner! smile

I enjoyed the episode and I thought the Flash was not so bad. I like that Clark is not as serious and dour as he'd been last season. Both Lois and Bart have brought out some real emotions in him.

Nice throw away lines too that others have mentioned, esp. the one about starting a league! goofy

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#201217 10/21/04 06:03 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
You know...if Clark hadn't stood there for 2 seconds before following, he might have caught up Too bad he can't fly yet... Would have loved if he could (Clark's faster when he flies, right?). That would have made Bart the one to stop and stare
My understanding of comics canon is that when going full speed, The Flash is indeed faster than even Superman. They showed that last night, when Bart was 'playing' with Clark at the end by slowing down by going backwards, then taking off again even faster than before. The shocked expression on Clark's face made it clear to me that he knew there was no way he could catch him. Not sure about flying -- it makes sense that he'd be faster flying than running -- but I'm pretty sure that The Flash is still faster, even then.

Lynn, about whether Lana and Jason are doing the wild thing ... I was wondering the same thing during that bedroom scene. They are definitely leaving it unclear, but having that bed there so prominently was a big hint. Yet at the same time, they've been in Smallville together for weeks and he hasn't noticed her tattoo before, so that makes me think they haven't yet. My feeling is that they are not, if only because it would be bad enough for his career to get caught kissing a student, but if he got caught sleeping with one, he'd be toast. On the other hand, I think we can assume that all the main players (Clark, Lana, Chloe) are either 18 now or close to it, so that does help with the legal issues.

Kathy

#201218 10/21/04 07:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
On the other hand, I think we can assume that all the main players (Clark, Lana, Chloe) are either 18 now or close to it, so that does help with the legal issues.
Last night, Jonathan stated very clearly that Clark is a "seventeen year old boy" (or some such words) which I did take note of, kind of LOL to myself that Tom Welling is one "seventeen year old" I wouldn't mind risking jail-bait time for wink .

My gut tells me that Lana and Jason haven't been doing the wild thing despite what it appears on the show. Not only because of Kathy's good arguments, but for other more practical business reasons for TPTB at Smallville's HQ. I know one of the things mentioned as possible topics to be covered this year is whether or not Clark can have sex, so we all know he is a virgin. Also, I suppose it's fairly safe to say that Chloe and even Lana are as well. I would imagine that such a hot premise as Lana's First Time (or Chloe's, definitely Clark's) would be too rich to pass up an entire episode or two devoted to it.

But, on the flip side of all of that, I would imagine that Jason, being an older man, might feel reasonable in pressing Lana for a more intimate relationship. The argument about him being a school employee and her being a student could be viewed two ways. The first - the way Kathy has presented - that Jason wouldn't risk anything more than a few kisses because of the repercussions. The second viewpoint could argue that since he's already crossed one line - dating and kissing a student - and clearly doesn't feel the need to stop himself, why wouldn't he just go for broke, so to speak?

What's interesting is that on another show I've started watching - Life As We Know It - a similar situation is happening in the reverse. One of the male teen characters is beginning a relationship with his female English teacher. As I watch the show, I'm screaming at the screen because what this teacher is doing is so incredibly wrong. The only reason I don't have the same reaction with the Lana/Jason scenario is because they met and established their relationship before he took the job at SV High. It's not as if he is exploiting his position to meet and then date younger girls.

See...it is so cool that I actually feel compelled to talk about Lana! And the fact that the conversation is intriguing and thought-provoking is just a bonus. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard