Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#199945 05/25/04 01:29 AM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
I always wanted to visit Ireland. Now my dream is coming true!
On Friday my family and I will head to Ireland and spent there a wonderful week. I’m so excited!! smile1
We’ll be living on the West Coast in the County Clare and from there we want to explore the country.

I know that there are some Irish FoLCs on this boards and I would like to ask you if there is something special we should visit, that isn’t too far away from the place where we are staying?

And, also very important, what should I pack? How is the weather there at this time of the year? I’m standing in front of my suitcase and can’t decide what to put in. help

Thanks a lot

Ines (who can’t wait till Friday) hyper

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
#199946 05/26/04 08:26 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ines,

I'm not sure why none of the Irish folc have posted yet... I'm not Irish, I've never been to Ireland, although I really really want to... So I can't really recommend anywhere to visit. Apart from tel you how much I envy you, I'm not going to get a chance on a holiday until at least September...

But I can take a stab at the packing, I'm guessing the weather's not that much different on this side of the Irish Sea... so take a sweatshirt! Actually, take a few. If you're very lucky you might get away with shorts once or twice, so you could pack them. And take a waterproof jacket! smile

Hope that helps,

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
#199947 05/27/04 04:09 AM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thank you so much, Helga! smile
We already had 84 Degrees here in south Germany and were sweating, so I wasn't sure how it would be in Ireland. But now I'm packing some sweatshirts. The raincoat is already stuffed in my bag. I'm ready! laugh

Only 26 hours to go! hyper

Ines smile

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
#199948 05/27/04 06:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Personally I love this type of weather...

Currently it is:

Wind from the SE (140 degrees) at 20 MPH (17 KT)
Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)
Sky conditions mostly cloudy
Temperature 59 F (15 C)
Dew Point 48 F (9 C)
Relative Humidity 67%

They just talk about rain and mid teens for the rest of the week.

Other websites :
Ireland\'s current weather and extended forecast

Extended forcast for Dublin (don\'t know where your\'re going)

Yeah! Totally bring the raincoat and sweater!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#199949 05/28/04 12:29 AM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thank you, Roo! smile
Your sites are very helpful.
I usually like this kind of weather, too.
But this time I hope we will get some sunshine next week, it is more fun to go sightseeing when the weather is nice. smile

Ines wave

#199950 05/28/04 03:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hoping I catch you before you leave, Ines – sorry I haven’t responded before this, but we’ve been having real problems with the Internet and I’ve only just got online. First of all, comhgairdeas!! I'm very glad you're coming to Ireland at last, and I hope you enjoy your stay here smile

As regards to your question, if you're going to Co. Clare, you definitely have to spend at least a day in the Burren. Try the Tourist Centre at Kilfenora, the sand dunes on the beach at Fanore, and the highlight of the whole trip; Aillwee Cave. It's a great day out, just remember not to pick the flowers - because of the unique landscaping, not only do Irish plants grow there, but also Mediterranean and Alpine ones, and the government here don't like people picking them. Around that region also are the beautiful cliffs of Moher and, if you like the beach, Lahinch has one of the nicest around. Liscannor is a lovely town, as well as Lisdoonvarna.

As for the rest of Munster; Killarney (in County Kerry) is always beautiful at this time of the year, especially the lakes. Mucrós or Muckross House and Gardens are always worth a visit; that's also in Killarney. Dingle, in Co. Kerry, reachable by the scenic Connor Pass, has its own claim to fame as well - Fungi, Ireland's favourite dolphin, is a resident at the sea there, and is reachable by boat wink There's also a wonderful aquarium. Ballybunion is a gorgeous beach, if that's where you're headed, but three words of advice; Bring An Umbrella <g>.

Cork is the largest county in Ireland, and has a beautiful Opera House. Foto Island is a wonderful wildlife park. Quick check with the rest of the household, and my brother the 'party-animal' is of the opinion that St. Henry's Nightclub and Bodega Bar on Corn Market street would be worth a visit, as well... wink Closer to home for me, Limerick is a wonderful city; King John's Castle is definitely worth a visit, and a bit further out, nearer Shannon Airport, Bunratty Castle and Folk Village, which you *have* to see <g>. For shopping and the like, I'd recommend the Crescent Shopping Centre, Dooradoyle, "for all your shopping needs" wink Much as I cringe to say it, I wouldn't recommend Tipperary as a tourist hot-spot at all... nothing here except a lot of hills, trees and cows.

And okay, miscellaneous places that spring to mind, you may or may not get a chance to visit, as they're all pretty far away from Clare; Salt Hill, Co. Galway, the Aran Islands, off the shore of Co. Galway, the Ceide Fields, Co. Mayo, and, of course, Dublin - the Phoenix Park, Grafton Street, the Book of Kells at Trinity College, Dublin Zoo, the National Museum, other sites too various to mention. If you do get a chance at all, Ines, I would definitely include Dublin; it's a bit of a drive, admittedly, but it's soooooooooo worth it!!! It's a wonderful city; and no, I am *not* biased!!! wink

The weather here at the moment is absolutely amazing; the sun is splitting the rocks and it hasn't rained since the sixth of this month. Wow... but, a warning, Irish weather is notoriously changeable, so bring clothing that can be layered. Yes, it's warm enough for shorts (I actually got sunburnt the other day <g>) and yes, bring a long-sleeved sweatshirt with you. Also, an umbrella. The ultimate tourist accessory <g>. The way it is at the moment, though, I wouldn't advise too many jeans and sweaters - normal summer gear will do you if *fingers crossed* the weather stays the way it is. Shorts, tee-shirts, sunglasses... that should tide you over.

That's really all I can think of at the moment, Ines. I really hope you enjoy your stay here!! An early failté romhat to you <g>. And do please remember to post and tell me how it went!! smile

Beatha agus sláinte,
Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#199951 06/13/04 12:15 AM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Thank you very much for your detailed information, Sara! smile

Ireland was wonderful, the landscape was stunning and I loved the countless different shades of green. We had a really great time. Of course, we haven’t visited as much as we liked to, but I think we’ve covered quite a lot for only a week.

The flight was okay if you don’t count the yoghurt exploding in my face and all over my new shirt. I should have known not to open that darn thing when I saw that the top of the tub was bulged out. goofy

Kilkee has a great beach and a very beautiful scenic cliff walk. I found it even more stunning than the Cliffs of Moher, which we visited the second day. We had a day in the Burren, visiting Ailwee Cave and the ancient tombs. We also drove up to the Black Head and had a walk over the strange shaped rocks to the sea shore. That was very impressive.

One day we explored the Dingle Peninsula, driving over Connor Pass (wow!) and walking through Dingle. I love the colourful houses in Ireland! It’s so much more welcoming and friendly than our boring white or cream-coloured houses here. We were surprised how very nice and friendly the Irish people are, everyone was greeting us on the streets and giving us tips what to visit next. That’s something I could get used to. smile wink

I read about Fungi the Dingle Dolphin, but didn’t go to see him. Instead we did a boat tour on the Shannon to watch the dolphins there. And we really saw them! They even had calves with them and played around our boat. The only disadvantage is that I’m still suffering from the cold I’ve caught on the boat. But oh well, it was worth it! wink

We saw Lahinch and the beach, Bunratty Castle and Folk village and we visited Limerick and St. Johns Castle and St. Mary’s church. This was the only day that it was raining. The other days we had some mist and on three days the sun was shining constantly and I even got a tan. cool

Did I already mention that I liked Ireland very much? Because I really did! I have to come back sometime and stay several weeks to visit all the other places we hadn’t the chance to see.
Dublin for example, I had so many people recomment it for a visit, I'm really curious to see it, but it was a bit too far for us to visit it. Oh well, hopefully there will be a next time...

Ines wave

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard