Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#197927 09/17/03 02:32 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As someone who has lived through her share of hurricanes, I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all those who find themselves in the path of Isabel. I'll be praying she continues to weaken, and passes through with a minimum of damage.

I also wanted to add one bit of advice, for anyone who has not experienced a hurricane. I'm sure you've seen on TV or heard all about the preparations to take, and hopefully you are all stocked up on bottled water, candles or flashlights, etc. You may or may not have heard that you should fill your tank with gas. My first experience with a hurricane was Hurricane Hugo. Back then, I heard this piece of advice and thought it only applied to people who were planning on evacuating (you know, to make sure you didn't run out of gas while driving to the evacuation center.) I later learned (through first hand experience) that after a hurricane, it is not uncommon to be without electricity for some time (often even days). Apparently, gas pumps don't work without electricity. You need a full tank in case it is awhile before you can get gas again. (sorry if this is obvious for most of you, but I didn't know that my first time)

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#197928 09/17/03 03:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another Vicki,

I'm quite in awe that you already faced two of the most powerful hurricanes I heard about.

I never did face one, it was mostly storms or tornades the big one was in 1999 and two others: one in june 1996, the other this summer in august.

So, thanks for the gas advice, now that you explained it, it sounds logical smile .

Your story reminds me of a book from Isabel Allende: Eva Luna. It's about a girl, Eva Luna, whose island is due to face Hugo, the Hurricane you described. So she barricade herself in her wooden house for the night and writes about the instants she's living while 'facing' the hurricane. Her main fear being: "am I gonna see the daylights alive?".

She's really fighting the hurricane and you can really feel it approach, pages after pages. Quite amazing and even better in spanish... but I'm disgressing!

Carole smile1

#197929 09/17/03 06:22 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Thanks, Vicki.

I'm inland enough that I'm not too terrified personally. But we are stocked up on water, flashlights, candles, gas, etc., just in case. After the ice storm this winter (which was the worst week of my life - I literally thought I was going to freeze to death at times) we were taking no chances. I'm more worried about my best friend, who lives on the coast but can't evacuate because she works for a newspaper, and, well, the news must go on. She's pretty scared. And I'm just worried about my state in general. Today is the four year anniversary of Hurricane Floyd, and watching all that anniversary footage on TV is a bit scary. It looks like Isabel might not be as bad as they originally predicted. I hope they're right. Right now it's *gorgeous* here. The calm before the storm. It's really impossible to imagine that in a day or two it will be so drastically different.

Thanks for the advise and the prayers. I'm sure there are people out there who haven't heard some of your advice, and even if we've heard it before, we can always use it again. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#197930 09/17/03 06:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Vicki -- we're preparing, really. Got lots of advance warning on this one (almost a week) so we've had time to think of things... for instance, I've washed *all* the dirty laundry in the house -- with the electricity out, doing laundry is somewhat difficult wink We do have a generator, but that's not enough to run the dryer.

I'm starting to think of this as old hat, really. We got *slammed* by Hurricane Fran, seven years ago -- huge trees down everywhere, etc. We didn't have any property damage, but we didn't get our electricity back for five days. Had to throw everything out of the fridge & freezer frown Since then, we've bought the aforementioned generator smile We've lived through Floyd without too much local damage. For variety, last fall we had a killer ice storm -- once again, no power for five days, in freezing temperatures, no less.

So this time, we're trying to be as prepared as we can possibly be. smile

Be safe, everybody! If you don't hear from me for a week, just imagine me going stir-crazy from lack of Internet wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197931 09/17/03 07:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm thinking about you guys, Annie and Pam - and Chris Mulder too. Stay safe! And as soon as you get the chance, come back and tell us that you're safe. frown

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#197932 09/17/03 10:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Me too, guys. Keep safe smile

Yvonne
(who recently discovered, much to her amusement, that she's a hurricane in a Star Trek fanfic wink )

#197933 09/17/03 10:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another Vicki, are you from Puerto Rico because thats how we call our island "Isle of Enchantment" "La Isla del Encanto"

Hi,

If you are, you know we spend almost 6 month of a year in 'hurricane season' and we had more that Hugo.

This is in base of my experience in hurricane.

Important: During and after a hurricane you probably woun't have water or electricity for a while. Think of 5 days to be safe.

1. Stock ice in your freezer or ice box. After a hurricane the weather turn hot. People do crazy thing for ice. Including "ice-jacking"

2. Water for drinking and other use like flushing bathroom, cleaning dishes and sponge bath.

3. Small radio that don't use to much batteries.

4. Portable TV- (use batteries) Believe me you want to know what is going on out side.

5. Flashlight, Oil lamp and battery lamps, that have bright light. No candle. Is dangeros when the wind strike.

6. Gas stove for heating. If the next day you don't have electricity, make a cook out and cook all your meat. Its spoil fast.

7. Full Gasoline tank in your car, be careful after the storm a lot of gasoline station tend to have water leak in their tanks.

8. Cellular phone. Use only in emergency. Have emergency phone number at hand.

9. Everything canned. Please, don't forget can opener.

10. Important: Your daily and special medicine.

11. Small Emergency kit.

12. If you have small children. Have their thing in small bag, milk, pamper, medicine, toy and blankets.

13. Mosquito net. They attack after a storm.

14. Portable battery fan.

15. Have always important document at hand, birth certificate, Social Security,insurance paper other house document, camara to take picture for the insurance company and "cash" you won't find a ATM machine when there is no electricity.

16. If you have cristal use masking tape it won't prevent from breaking but will help.

17. Aluminiun blade wind. "A tip" use plastic bag between blade it seal from coming in water.

18. Don't leave nothing that can fight with the wind, it become a projectile and can kill someone.

19. Take care of your pet, older people and children is a hard experience for them. Is traumatic experience.

20. Disconnect the thing that are not needed like lamp, can opener, fans, air conditioner, ect. Can be damage went the power return or the varietion of electricity.

21. Don't go out of your home unless is an emergency and if they said is OK, huracane are very umpredictable. If your in the eye of the hurricane your think the storm is gone 10 minute later everything start again.

22. If you have friend in a safe area don't stay home, get out of the path.

I hope this help you. If your in does state.

My prays with everyone up there.

MAF frown

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#197934 09/17/03 11:41 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Maria,
Yes. I moved here in 1978. Hugo was my first hurricane. (but not my last!!)

Oh, about the ATM's... I forgot about that. To everyone in the path of Isabel: You can't get money from the ATM when there is no electricity. Take out some cash tonight, while you still can!! (Good point, Maria.)

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#197935 09/17/03 02:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, got cash today. And then I gave the kids a bath, just in case we can't do that again for a few days :p

I've been hearing chain saws tonight, as people cut away the tree limbs they think might fall on something -- my husband trimmed a few limbs off our neighbor's tree (with her help) because they were on and tangled in our power & cable lines. At one point, he was convinced he'd knocked out our power a day *before* the hurricane goofy But our generator works, and we've got enough gas for about two days continual use. Unfortunately, that power is too uneven for turning on computers...

Last I heard, we'll start getting hit tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you guys posted when I can. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197936 09/17/03 03:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi ChiefPam,

You have generator, your bless. laugh

Are the house made of concrete?

Remember to open the opposite side where the wind blow to decompression the house.

Safer place are usually the room in the center of the house that could be hall or bathroom.

If the house is made other material get shelter is not safe.

My favorite web for information:

http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/arad/fpdt/imgs.html

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml

http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/ad...amp;getarea=car&type=&sattype=ei

MAF frown

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#197937 09/17/03 04:30 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Good luck, Pam and Annie. We'll be thinking of you as well as all our other FoLCs who live in North Carolina and the other neighboring states who will be in the path of the hurricane.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#197938 09/17/03 07:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Stay safe! We'll be thinking of you!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#197939 09/17/03 07:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good luck guys. Eek, I didn't even know one was churning in the waters til I visited my mom today. (I don't watch tv.) Glad you have a generator, Pam! For some crazed reason, my family has been living on the Gulf Coast since '87, and every time we get slammed by a hurricane, we're like, "Yeah, we get to rough it!" And then by the 3rd day it's, "I'm buying a generator next month!" My dad still hasn't bought one to date.

Jen wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#197940 09/18/03 04:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, guys. We're getting some wind and rain right now -- and the power flickered briefly once already -- but they're predicting that the storm will peak here in 2-3 hours. We'll be on the South-West side of the eye, and most of the damage is done on the North-West side... so I'm worried about our Baltimore/DC FOLCs...

Thanks for the tips, Maria! I hadn't heard about having something open to decompress the house, but that makes a ton of sense. And our "safe room" is our laundry room -- center of the house, lower level, with no windows and next to a foundation wall... I don't think we'll need it this time around, though.

Jen, it's kind of like a leaky roof -- no point in fixing it when it's not raining, but when it *is* raining, who wants to go out and work on the roof? goofy We've had this generator about five years and have only used it four days. But for those four days, we were really glad to have it!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197941 09/18/03 07:08 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I just made it home from work. They finally decided to let us go once they heard that some major roads were closing and there were lots of areas without power. I was amazed by the number of customers who threw huge fits because we announced we were closing. If one more person yelled at me, I was going to have a nervous breakdown. It took me about 45 minutes to get home (normally a 10-15 minute drive) and I had to change routes halfway because there was a tree down blocking the road. I also saw a powerlines all down in the streets all over the place and one pole snapped in half. Suffice it to say, all I wanted to do was get home safely, and I was furious that my managers hadn't let us go earlier when the storm was still rather mild. Anyway, I'm home now and we have power, though it's flickered a few times since I walked in. We're stocked up with batteries, candles, water, food, etc just in case. Hopefully it will blow over soon without too much damage. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, they're greatly appreciated.

Annie

#197942 09/18/03 07:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That sounds seriously scary, Annie. frown I admit that I can't even imagine what it must be like, since we don't get that sort of extreme weather over on this side of the Atlantic. But still, and despite all Maria's excellent advice, I can't imagine that anyone ever really gets used to hurricanes.

Take very great care, all of you NC, VA, DC and Maryland FoLCs (see, I don't know the abbreviation for Maryland! wink ). We want you back safely with us once Isabel's blown over.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#197943 09/18/03 10:20 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As someone who hates being outside in even the gales we get here, after a childhood experience which doubled the heart-rate (walking along minding my own business when a sheet of plate glass from who knows where came sailing over my head, missing me by mere inches, and then dropped to smash at my feet cat ) I'm thinking of you guys!

Keep safe!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197944 09/18/03 11:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I like wind <g> But this is pushing it...

Our power was out for a few hours this afternoon -- we ran the generator for awhile, then realized other houses on the street were lit up again. We've got sticks down all over the front and back yards, but nothing's damaged.

In some ways, it was a very boring day <g> But we weren't out on the roads -- I've seen some of the pictures of trees down and blocking a few lanes of traffic. Glad you made it back safely, Annie! (And why on earth were people complaining that you were going home? dizzy )

It's still windy and we're still under tropical storm watch, but I believe the worst of the weather has moved on. smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197945 09/18/03 01:47 PM
Columnist
Columnist
And we're battening down the hatches and getting ready for tomorrow.

There are two possibilities. One - the storm will lose power and we will just have lots of rain and strong winds, but not overly horrible, or Isabel will meet up with another weather system that's hovering in the area and it will be back to full power. frown Gee, guess which possibility I want to occur!

Irene
who remembers hearing stories of Hurricane Hazel that hit southern Ontario in '54 and killed 81 people...

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#197946 09/18/03 03:08 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, it seems that the worst has passed. It's still raining pretty hard and REALLY windy, but it's much better. By some miracle, we never did lose power. It kept going off for a minute or two, then coming back on. Everything around us is dark though - somehow it seems that just my block was spared. We just went out and drove around a little to survey damage and Chapel Hill looks pretty bad. The whole town is dark and there are lots of streets blocked off. The streets that are passable are covered with leaves and small branches. Powerlines are down everywhere. Good luck everyone up North in the path of the storm. We'll be thinking of you.

Annie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard