Next Thread
Print Thread
#197720 08/12/03 05:48 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
A lot of people seem to be noticing that I have been signing my posts as Laura lately. I guess that happened without any warning and I tend to forget that not everyone who reads my posts hears my rants about my name on IRC wink .

I've gotten a few comments about the name change and people have mistaken me for the other LauraBF. The other LauraBF emailed me because people have asked her if she and I are the same person, so I felt I needed to clarify my decision.

My real name is Laura U. Alicia U. is my pen name that I chose to use many years ago -- back in high school -- when I first started writing fanfic because I didn't want my RL friends to know that I write fanfic. But now the name Alicia bugs me. It was my Spanish name in high school and no one pronounces it correctly and I would rather be known as Laura than as Alicia -- it was so weird in North Carolina when people called me Alicia -- I didn't know who they were talking about wink . I tried to use Ali on IRC, but Kaethel was the only person that caught on smile , so some people on IRC convinced me to not use Alicia if I hate it so much.

From now on, I will be using my pen name when I write stories and my real name for everything else. Ex. on IRC I am now using LauraU instead of AliciaU. I am the same person, and the reason I hadn't made this change when I returned from my 2 year absense is because I didn't want everyone to be confused having too many Lauras.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#197721 08/12/03 11:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, welcome Laura then!

#197722 08/13/03 08:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, we might be confused right at first, but I'm confident we'll sort it out. Just ask Ann, Anna, Anne, Annette, Annie, and Anni! goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197723 08/13/03 08:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congratulations on reclaiming your own name, then, Laura! (though I'm finding it hard to forget 'Alicia', since I do actually like that name wink ). But hey, if we can cope with three Lauries, three Kathys and a seemingly-endless combination of Anne, Annie, Ann, Annette, Anna and Anni, we can cope with another Laura around the place!

Wendy wink

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#197724 08/13/03 09:03 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A rose by any other name... wink Heck, we don't care what you call yourself, we love ya anyway. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#197725 08/13/03 09:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, and we mustn't forget our 3 Carols <g> Though CCM and CarolM went that extra mile by having the same last-name initial...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#197726 08/13/03 09:26 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey Laura3!

wink Letssee... We've got Laurach, moi, and now you...

Laura2

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#197727 08/13/03 10:04 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Just ask Ann, Anna, Anne, Annette, Annie, and Anni!
And even worse, note that there are two Anna B. 's!!

Anyway, welcome, Laura U.!! dance dance (do you want me to reveal your last name too? evil ok, just kidding)

AnnaBtG. (who feels that having the same name with much more people is rather annoying... should I begin using my last name more often, BanAnna?)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#197728 08/13/03 10:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ann, Anna, Anne, Annette, Annie, and Anni
Did I mention my name was Anne, too? Kidding kidding. *ducks tomatoes* Anywho, no problemo, Laura. By the time I'm in IRC, it's after midnight and I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own name...one little change won't make much of a difference to me.

goofy

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#197729 08/16/03 04:29 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Alright, *besides* Ann, Anni, Annie, Anne, AnnaBananaFannaFoFanna, and whatever else, what are some other oft-duplicated names?

~Anni, the one, the only, Anni the Diva @-}--

Lois: "Kent is a hack from Smallville. I couldn't make that name up."

Read my Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/anni_the_diva/
#197730 08/16/03 11:43 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Diva, *you* are copying us! We know your name is Andrianne!!

(Okay, I'm kidding! But why did you cut it? It's so cute!)

what are some other oft-duplicated names?
How about Kathy? There are at least two (KathyB and KathyM)

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#197731 08/16/03 11:35 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat? There are at least...oh, no, wait...

LabRat laugh

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard