Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
In the past 24 hours I've received 6 so-called "bounced" messages from the Mailer Daemon for e-mails that were undeliverable. Each of them contained a virus (Klez or Mainframe, or any one of 2 or 3 others.) The only thing is, I didn't send them, and I ran several online scans on the possibility that maybe I had a virus that was mailing them out, using my address book.

I didn't have any such virus. The ones from the emails were the only ones there, and my
Norton Antivirus had grabbed them and quarantined them before they could do any damage. The only thing I can conclude is that somebody I know, in the LnC community, has the virus and it is mailing itself to other people with my return address on the email, so I get the bounced emails. It has to be the LnC group, because the addresses they
bounced *from* were also in the LnC group. Others may also be getting them with their return address on the email. By the way, I know they aren't coming from my computer, now. The last bounced message was addressed to Mackteach, and she isn't in my address book.

Anyway, check your computers. And watch out for "returned mail" that you didn't send. I just got another one, and I've just gotten online after last night's third online scan.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Columnist
Columnist
In the same vein, perhaps...

I tried to send a couple messages to my yahoogroups and they came back saying that I was set to Auto-Responder. What the devil? And it wouldn't recognize my username to go log into the site, either!

Melisma (going crazy here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I get those emails from time to time as well, Nan, and likewise some of them appear to originate with a FoLC, on the basis that the 'apparent' recipient is also a FoLC. I've also had copies of Klez which appear to originate with Zoomway - they don't, of course; they come from someone who has both of us in their address-book.

If you check the message properties, sometimes you'll see the details of the real sender and then you can let them know that they have a virus - but these things are getting more crafty and the properties don't always show the sender. razz

As always, the only real protection is to keep your AV software up to date and run it regularly, as well as leaving its automatic mail screening function on. frown

Wendy (soaking in the sun in California laugh )

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard