Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I mentioned this in another post somewhere and Melisma and LabRat suggested I post the list here. However, I think there's two or three hundred on the list, so I here's the top ten.

10. Your service provider calls *you* for tech support.

9. Someone at work tells you a joke, and you say "LOL!"

8. You have ever had a dream about the people in your channels.

7. You have to scroll through your popup menu.

6. You watch T.V. with closed captioning turned on.

5. Your friend Tom tells you something sad on the phone and you say "Awwww, me hugs Tom."

4. You've called out someone else's nick while making love to your husband.

3. You keep begging your friend's to get an internet account so "we can hang out."

2. Three words: carpal tunnel syndrome.

1. You laughed at this list.

IMO, these aren't the funniest so here\'s the link to the rest of them.

A few of the ones I liked...

You might be addicted to irc if...

...your child ignores your request and you wonder if she is lagged.

...your boyfriend/girlfriend in RL gets on IRC coz its the only way to reach you

...You refer to rush hour traffic as LAGGED... or to avoid traffic, you tell your passenger you need to quit for a second to switch servers

..you know more about your irc "friends" daily routines than you do your own spouses!

..your friends on irc were above your RL friends on your Christmas card list!

..you have ever written a pen-and-paper letter to someone and found it _impossible_ to do without smilies (I'm actually finding myself doing this!)

...you download this list to send it to your other net friends. (oops! blush )

...You won't work at a job that doesnt have a modem involed

...Your internet provider disconnects you for using an *unlimited* account too much

Ok, I'm going to stop now before I end up posting the whole list! Go and have a look, there's tons more! laugh

Loriel (searching for the 12-step program!)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, my.

I was mortified to find myself doing that on the phone the other day.

The rest tend to apply too...except for No. 4, I have to say. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
... you include your nick in your e-mail signature

...you've ever gotten onto an airplane just to meet some folks face to face.

...you have ever written a pen-and-paper letter to someone and found it _impossible_ to do without smilies

...you *do* preface things in email with /me

...you've ever used the term "RL".
OMG!!! shock

That's me!!!

Elena [Linked Image]

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Columnist
Columnist
I was nodding so hard reading the link Loriel sent me that I thought I was gonna be seasick! It was all true - not just for IRC (and boy howdy am I going through IRC withdrawal right now, not being able to get on it for the last 2 or more weeks), but also mbs, email, and other online activities I'm involved in for...a heck of a lot of fandoms I'm involved in...

Help! I think I need (but don't necessarily want) some kind of a 12 step program...

Melisma (ducking under her Rock to yell at her keyboard again because it's not typing fast enough... it's making her lagged, and she's not even on IRC!)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
...you go into labor and you stop to type a "special" away message.
Um...Not me, but can we say Kerth Committee! goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rofl -- that list is scary <g>

PJ
who finds it impossible to work on her finance software without IRC up in the background, you know, just for the company smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Loriel Eris:

8. You have ever had a dream about the people in your channels.

3. You keep begging your friend's to get an internet account so "we can hang out."

1. You laughed at this list.

..you know more about your irc "friends" daily routines than you do your own spouses (or friends in my case)

..your friends on irc were above your RL friends on your Christmas card list!

..you have ever written a pen-and-paper letter to someone and found it _impossible_ to do without smilies (I'm actually finding myself doing this!)

Oi, lemme know when you find that 12 step program LOL! I don't have IRC, but all of these apply to me on AIM. And I find it impossible to write a letter without sticking <g> somewhere in there.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Okay, I'm alarmed by how many of these apply to me. I think I might need to start weaning myslef away...nah!

This one actually cracked me up because I *don't* do it, but I have a friend who does it just to irritate me. She knows I hate when people use internet abbreviations in real life, so she constantly says LOL or, her favorite, btw.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Merriwether
Merriwether
Heh. I already know I'm an addict. But I term myself a "spod"

--------------------- Brigandine Online Help: spod ------------------------

-=*>The Spoddy world that spods spodily spod in *=-

Spod (noun) (feminine:Spodess) (plural individual: Spodz) (Neuter: Spodo) -
A sad, sometimes fluffy, sometimes not so fluffy, computer nerd.
A spod is easily distinguished by the following characteristics:

1. Extraordinarily long login times to talkers and/or Muds
2. Knows a dangerous amount of info about the Internet - more than any person should.
3. Often known to break into computer labs after hours just to telnet.
4. Sometimes name their favorite terminals
5. Often witness beautiful sunrises and/or sunsets... from a computer terminal.
6. Spod Eyes syndrome - Eyes feel as if they will budge after long hours spent at a terminal.
Spod (verb) - To act or behave as a spod. (Trapp spods all night, doesn't he)
Spoddy (adj) - Fitting the behavioral patterns of a spod. (Briana, you spoddy spoon!)
Spodily (adv) - Acting in the manner of a spod (Drizzt spodily types away. What else is new?)
Spodaholic (n) - A spod who is obviously addicted to the spodding experience.
Spodders Anonymous - A spod support group-Before every meeting (It's true that there are meetings on talkers) One says the lines like so: "Hi, I'm Briana, and I'm a spodaholic."
Spoddom (n) - The world available for spods to spod in. The exact opposite of so-called "rl" (real life)

See help spod-classes for the subclasses of spods

"The spoddy world...", and all the subclass names are (c) traP aka M.
[ Bourdaa 1995. You are free to use these terms to describe others, or yourself, but this may document may not be published (written or electronically) or altered without the official permission of the author. All rights reserved. And other legal mumbo jumbo too !!
Taken from a talker I'm on. wink

I've never taken a plane just to meet someone I met online.. at least, not for the first time. I once drove from Pennsylvania to Chattanooga TN with 3 guys I'd never met IRL (and only talked to 2 a few times online) to get to a "spodmeet" to meet everyone I'd talked to online and had never met in person. Think of LAFF without the official reasons. Granted, I *was* going just to meet 1 guy I'd met on the net, then took the bus to visit him on spring break, then flew down for his graduation... And eventually married him. laugh

And yes, I often think "LOL" to myself instead of laughing. The tech support one doesn't count, since that's my day job. But I also do tech support on IRC, as some people know.

BTW, the christmas card one doesn't count. I believe that everyone that I send cards to that's not family, I've met online. Of course, I now live close to a few of them, so they're no longer "online friends".

...You won't work at a job that doesnt have a modem involed
Ewwww, completely wrong. I won't work at a job with a modem involved, not for net access anyway. I refuse to work at a job that doesn't have T1 (or higher!) access with unlimited internet access during work hours. Now if I can find one of those that doesn't involve 40 hours of phone support...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Columnist
Columnist
LOL Karen, loved your post, and learned a new set of words...

Melisma (under her Rock, sneaking in a few more minutes of board time before the term begins and everyone else will out-post her because she has no free time)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
You might be addicted to IRC if...
...you start giving out your cell phone number, instead of your land line, so people can actually reach you!
...you do this even though you have prepaid cell service, and pay for every minute!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Merriwether
Merriwether
And yes, I often think "LOL" to myself instead of laughing.
Oh, I'm so glad other people do this, too! I sheepishly admitted to Annie last night that, while I have never said it out loud (like her friend does to taunt her), I do find myself thinking it. Then I was so relieved (and burst out laughing) when she admitted she thinks it too. <g> And now to find out we aren't the only weird ones ... what a relief. <vbg>

Great thread ... as others have said, I'm seeing myself way too often on that list. wink

Kathy

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard