Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I liked the plot of Superman being sued. It’s nice every so often to get away from actual physical threats to Superman and to use a different type of threat. I will say, though, that given that there are so many sue-happy people in the world, Clark is lucky that this was only the first time he experienced something like this.

I was so glad to see the Scardino storyline come to an end. Scardino trying to horn in on Lois and Clark’s date is just one more example of him being far too aggressive at going after Lois. It’s that aggressive attitude that made me dislike him so much. I definitely wasn’t sad to see him gone after this episode.

I loved that Lois finally decided to give up on Superman for good and be dedicated to making things work with Clark. I hadn’t thought of it before, but I was thinking as I rewatched this episode that the end of this episode would have been the best time for Clark to tell Lois that he was Superman. She’d finally given up on her Superman fantasy and picked Clark over Superman, so he could be sure that she wasn’t just with him because he was Superman. I know that he tried to tell her in the next episode, but if he'd tried to tell her at the end of this one, maybe they wouldn't have been interrupted.

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
The thing that always bothers me about this episode is that Superman grabs the guy out from under the falling speaker, potentially hurting him and letting all that expensive equipment break, rather than just catching the speaker. I remember reading someone's fic (sorry, I can't remember who wrote it) where Lois saw what was happening and whispered for him to catch it, so he changed course and did. I guess if the Clark in the show were smarter about that sort of thing, there wouldn't have been a plot for that episode... so I guess it's a toss-up. The rest of the plot is good.

The actor who plays the guitarist is also Marcus from Babylon 5. He's such a knight-in-shining-armor type gentleman on that show; it's funny to see him be a scuzzy sleazeball on L&C.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One of my absolute-favorite-of-all-time fanfics is set right after this episode: The Next Step by Sue S.
Lois is ready to take "the next step" in their relationship, but she and Clark have some things to talk about first.
Annesplace.net has it in an nfic version which is hot hot hot (caution: registration required; also, spontaneous human combustion may occur while reading the smut scenes.) This fic is awesome. Romance, emotion, true love, hot sex, revelations galore, witty banter, lives being saved, and true love all over again. Whatever you do, don't miss this.

Sue wrote a fine sequel, One Step Beyond , which tells us more about what happens after the revelation. Again, a fic not to be missed.

Sue sets the bar very high with these fics, but there are a few other authors who have written good "WWW"-related fics. Caroline K. wrote the excellent Foundations . As the description goes: "In the episode "Whine, Whine, Whine," Clark briefly considers doing away with his Clark Kent persona and living full-time as Superman instead. But what if, when Lois comes to him while he's packing and throws herself into his arms, he decides to make the opposite choice and to do away with Superman?"

Erin Klinger explores the emotional events that were glossed over in the episode, in Just A Heartbeat Away .

And Sue S. strikes again with Last Call Casualty . "What if Clark hadn't been home when Lois came by at the end of the episode "Whine, Whine, Whine"?" - Drunk Lois and a tattoo. Just sayin'. laugh
It also comes in an nfic version.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
The thing that always bothers me about this episode is that Superman grabs the guy out from under the falling speaker, potentially hurting him and letting all that expensive equipment break, rather than just catching the speaker. I remember reading someone's fic (sorry, I can't remember who wrote it) where Lois saw what was happening and whispered for him to catch it, so he changed course and did. I guess if the Clark in the show were smarter about that sort of thing, there wouldn't have been a plot for that episode... so I guess it's a toss-up. The rest of the plot is good.
I always figured that saving lives is Superman's top priority, so getting the guy out of there makes sense. Plus, he is distracted by wanting to get back to Lois so he is not thinking clearly.

John Pack Lambert
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by John Lambert:
I always figured that saving lives is Superman's top priority, so getting the guy out of there makes sense. Plus, he is distracted by wanting to get back to Lois so he is not thinking clearly.
Sure, saving lives is his top priority, and if he had to choose between the equipment and the guy, there's no question that he should save the guy. In this case, though, if he had caught the equipment, he would be saving the guy.

Is there some Good Samaritan law that would cover Superman in the event he hurt someone while saving them? I'm not sure what those types of laws entail.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
Originally posted by John Lambert:
[b]I always figured that saving lives is Superman's top priority, so getting the guy out of there makes sense. Plus, he is distracted by wanting to get back to Lois so he is not thinking clearly.
Sure, saving lives is his top priority, and if he had to choose between the equipment and the guy, there's no question that he should save the guy. In this case, though, if he had caught the equipment, he would be saving the guy.

Is there some Good Samaritan law that would cover Superman in the event he hurt someone while saving them? I'm not sure what those types of laws entail. [/b]
Hmm, good points. But if Clark had caught the equitment he probably would have been back to the tent before Lois got out of the palm reading, Scardino would have not had the chance to move in on Clark's date, and Lois and Clark could have been kissing before the opening credits. Oh, wait, now I really think Clark should have caught the equitment.

John Pack Lambert
Kerth
Kerth
For me, it's the little moments that make the episodes memorable. In WWW, there are other moments (besides that WAFFy final scene) that I watch for. I love the dynamic between Lois and Dr. Friskin as they work through Lois' issues. I love the blooper they left in when Superman is at the courthouse and one of the extras plays with his cape as she walks behind him. The look he gives her is so NOT Superman. smile The other scene that makes me laugh (when I don't think it was their intent) is having Lois spit out the line, "He's clearly vindictively litigious." For some reason, that always makes me wonder how many times Teri had to say the line to get it right. It's something in the way she phrases it, I guess.

But I digress. :p Back to actual character moments. The last scene with Lois and Superman at the courthouse is sweet. You can feel him aching as he accepts the news that she's given up her crush on Superman and is in love with someone else (and he thinks she means Dan).

Right after the courthouse scene, I laugh each time she opens the door and says, "Dan." The way she says it, and the way her expression falls, just for a second, it's like she's saying "Damn." I was never a big Dan fan, and that reaction is exactly how I felt each time he showed up on-screen.

At the beginning of the episode there's a sweet moment when Lois fishes a dollar out of Clark's pocket to pay to have the "madame" tell her fortune.

I'd never thought much about the "save the speaker/save the person" argument. It would have made more sense to catch the speaker, but then it wouldn't service the plot much. And, quite often, the show would turn itself inside out just to service a plot. It's why I try to focus more on the relationship instead of the plots.

And that, I guess, is why the last scene is so freakin' fantastic. It has *everything*. It starts with a brooding Clark, has a babbling Lois, both of them realizing that they're on the verge of losing something special, and Lois, commitment-phobic Lois, pushing past all her insecurities and fears and just going for it. I can't get enough of seeing her put it all on the line and tell him that he means more than a friend to her. I love that she kisses him, I love that he kisses her back, and it makes me swoon to see them both dropping all pretense to simply be honest about their feelings.

Oh, how I wish they had stayed with that version of the characters going forward. frown

Many thanks, Iolan, for the mentions. blush

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I love the blooper they left in when Superman is at the courthouse and one of the extras plays with his cape as she walks behind him. The look he gives her is so NOT Superman. smile
??? I never noticed this. I'll have to go watch it again.

Kerth
Kerth
??? I never noticed this. I'll have to go watch it again.
It's at the 22:30 mark. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Thanks. laugh

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard