Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Has anyone read the non-fiction book "Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero" by Larry Tye, which came out earlier this year?

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-High...963205&sr=8-1&keywords=larry+tye

I grabbed a copy at the library, set on reading the whole thing, but decided to go to the L&C parts first. smile However, I was rather dismayed by the things that just seemed... off... not in sync with my memories.... And then there was this:

"By the end of the first season, Lois was still infatuated with Superman but had almost married the ultra-rich, super-evil Lex Luthor. Their wedding was interrupted when Superman burst in, exposing the cunning groom's true persona and watching as Lex seemingly jumped to his death."

grumble

Okay, I get the mistake, the comic was *dated* December, but it was *published* -- and the L&C wedding episode happened -- in October. How do you write an entire book about Superman and get his WEDDING DATE wrong?

Okay, it's not the end of the world, but it is the end of me wanting to read this book. I won't know if I should believe half of what I'm reading! frown

Molly
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I know the Superman Homepage gave it rave reviews and I did pick it up and purchase it pretty much sight unseen. Like you I flipped to the "Lois and Clark:TNAoS" section and read it from beginning to end getting upset when I was reading it. It's obvious this guy didn't do his due diligence on this section of Superman history. It's too bad too because it was the start of bringing a new generation to the fold that might not have been there otherwise (that is not being increasingly disenfranchised with the current direction.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sounds like you guys need to go to places like Amazon and BN.Com (I don't know if you can leave book reviews at Superman.com) and leave scathing reviews about the inaccuracies in the book. If the author messed up so much on LnC, who knows what other errors the book must contain about the other Superman canons. Readers would appreciate the heads up.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I did read some of the reviews and a lot of the more negative ones commented on the lack of Smallville information. It sounds like this guy didn't even know it existed until recently. Definitely not a fan of Superman by that token.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard