Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#194080 06/02/10 07:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Were you always a FoLC or did you just recently rediscover the joys of Lois & Clark?

What caused you to like the show or what made you come back to the fandom?

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Top Banana
Top Banana
When it came out in the 90's, I remember watching it and enjoying it, though I don't remember being obsessive about it. smile I was getting sort of sick of the seriousness of television these days and was looking for a show to watch from back-when and then I remembered liking Lois & Clark. I've always had a 'thing' for Superman, in all his incarnations, even the cheesier ones... but this one is certainly the best! I also appreciate their love story more now, being in my late 20's. I even like it's campier aspects, just because it highlights a time in all of our lives when we as a nation were a bit more innocent. I miss those days... (btw, my byline says Germany, but I am an American. Just living abroad smile )

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Blogger
Blogger
I have loved L&C since watching it when it originally aired. I have been reading all the stories on the archive since 1996 and have had great enjoyment from all of the wonderful authors out there.

My fasciation with L&C comes from a couple of things. First, I love the love story between the two characters and all of the many fascinating things that can happen between them.

Second, in my real life I am the manager of 5 small town newspapers which are owned by a daily. So the newspaper aspect of the whole L&C world fascinates me as well.

Thanks again to all the authors that have brough me so much enjoyment over all the years. I have never tried my hand in writing, most likely because by the time the day is over, I am done writing and just need to relax and enjoy the story!

Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
as for me, I just rediscovered Lois & Clark lately. haven't thought of it in years, actually. but one of my favorite Japanese animation fanfic authors just up and wrote a fanfic for Lois & Clark and i suddenly had the urge to buy the DVD box. been hanging out here since.

i've re-watched all the episodes and i've been watching some episodes more than others since then and i'm working on a fan fic with my boyfriend at the moment. smile

gawd, i'm so shallow, a teaspoon probably has more depth. XD

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was a just under a month shy of my 13th birthday when it started... and I was hooked! We had a vacation home by the beach that we would go to on weekends sometimes, and I either helped clean really fast when we were leaving on Sundays so we could be home in time for LC or cleaned really slow (if it started while we were still there, my parents would sigh and make themselves comfortable for another hour so I could watch it). I remember being SOOOO excited one night on the drive home because, even though I REALLY didn't like that "Dan" character that had been on that night, I had seen the preview for Tempus Fugitive.

Heck... I even stayed in the hotel room one time in Hawaii instead of going out on the beach because I did NOT want to miss that week's episode! My family thought I was crazy...

I also remember jumping up and down on the couch after seeing the promo for "And the Answer Is..." :p Gotta love a 14 year old jumping up and down on the couch because of her fav TV show... good thing it was in the back room, not the living room, my mom would have been pissed :p

wow... that was over 15 years ago, but it's so clear in my mind. I love LC!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, I didn't start watching it till 2006, when "Superman Returns" was in the theatres. I'm sure that part of the marketing effort was to bring out DVD sets of previous Superman shows. I picked up the DVD sets of "L&C" and after that I was hooked.

I still think Teri Hatcher is the best Lois Lane ever. Also, I think there have been better Supermans (Supermen?) but there's something about Dean Cain as Clark Kent that just does it for me. Basically I liked him much better as Clark Kent than as Superman. Maybe the hair gel was just too much...

L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
I watched it when it aired and enjoyed it. Long time superman fan... so it was a natural for me to watch.

at times I thought it's been bad, but early stuff was cute and even season 4 had it's charm (the hot stuff).

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I became a FoLC in December 2004, I believe. I found a few of the 1st season eps on a file-sharing program (including the pilot eps) and was hooked, and finally in December started reading a ton of fanfic. It took me a bit to look around for the link to this mbs; I was so enamored with the archive fic I didn't spot the link for a long time!

It's been a couple years since I've been seriously into L&C (other fandoms like X-Men movieverse, Narnia books, The Pretender, and now Sue Thomas F.B.Eye have caught my eye), but I still enjoy reading the fic, and have a lot of great friends from this fandom, so I lurk a bit now and then for the social experience. smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Spring of 95. I'd seen bits of it before (my husband pays attention to superhero shows and movies), but didn't get hooked until Tempus Fugitive. I was already online for other fandoms (B5, mostly) so I got hooked up with other fans pretty much immediately. I found fanfic shortly after that and have been involved ever since.

I have very little interest in a Superman story where Lois doesn't know that CK=S. That fact makes her irrelevant and the butt of jokes that she doesn't even recognize, and I don't like either of those things.

I've actually kind of gotten interested in Smallville recently, because their Lois does (finally!) know about Clark's moonlighting as a superhero. And I think he might even know that she knows, now... I haven't seen the most recent ep.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! I love these questions. I've been a long time Superman fan and was right there at the beginning of LnC. I love it.

Smallville Girl, I loved your reaction to jumping on the couch!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been a fan of Lois & Clark since the pilot. I'd just come back to California after a year slogging through the bureaucracy of Washington, D.C. and was very ready for some fantasy. I'd been a fan of Superman since the comics. Clark was my hero because I was a four-eye overweight dork mercilessly teased by my peers. (Yes, bullying in school has a loooong history).
So anyway, I loved the pilot and Debroah Joy Levine's take on the story. And of course, I had loved the first two Superman movies with Chris Reeve.
It was great when the series started and they revised the first two hour pilot into the first two episodes. I loved the humor of it. They didn't take themselves seriously and it was great. The dialog and banter sold me. It was also light (especially compared to today's Smallville, but I'm watching that too.)
I campaigned for the DVD set along with others and I'm in the fan section of the DVD. They made me take my glasses off because of light reflection and I look a little weird to myself.
Anyway, I'm here now full time except when I'm traveling and finally able to write some fanfic.
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I remember seeing Lois and Clark in the late 90s on TNT. I enjoyed it but had too much going on to really get into it. Recently I started downloading L&C from Netflix to watch with my ten year old daughter while the boys watched football. We're having a lot of fun with it, though her screaming during the mushy parts may get old fast.

I love super heroes but I haven't been pleased with how the movies have emphasized more of their darker side in recent years. (i.e. Batman, Watchman) It's wonderful to watch a show where Superman is the good guy.

I enjoyed the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve as a kid but I like Dean Caine's Superman better. I love the idea of Clark being the main character as opposed to just a front for Superman.

Joan

Top Banana
Top Banana
I remember I was about 9 or 10 (so 1997 or 1998), and reruns of L&C had just started, every weekday at 9:15 pm. I was really excited, because I'd seen the show before (the early seasons even twice, probably) and I loved it. I was also a bit of an insomiac as a child, or maybe just hyperactive because I had a hard time falling asleep and therefore a hard time getting up in the morning (course now I wish I had those levels of energy again goofy ). Anyway, my mom got sick of having to wake me up 5 times every morning so she told me from now on, I have to be in bed by 9, no arguments. And I totally started crying and begged to extend my bedtime to 10 pm so I could watch L&C. XD (My mom agreed, whee! Maybe this is why I'm still a night owl, mostly.)

When we moved to Canada (2001) I didn't speak any French, but L&C was shown every day on one of the French networks, dubbed, and I watched it every day, following easily because I knew every episode by heart. XD

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
It's really interesting to read everyone's connection to the show. scifiJoan, it's nice that you can share the show with your daughter: I remember watching "I Love Lucy" reruns with my mom when I was 10, and I still have fond memories of that time.

Regarding this show, I'm relatively new to the fandom, as I rediscovered the show when the DVDs came out a few years ago and got inspired to make some videos as sort of a creative release. It's perhaps the only show that I can think of that got the romantic relationship between the leads right.

As for the show itself, I was about 12 or 13 and distinctly remember seeing the end of "I'm Looking Through You" and thinking that the show was cheesy, had horrible effects and wouldn't last. (Ha!) But I think it was my little brother who kind of liked the show, so I ended up getting into it, and then the smoking hot chemistry between Lois and Clark finally got to me. I remember being distraught that I had to miss most of the first half of Season 2 due to a family commitment on Sunday nights that got me home around 8:45 (with no means to videotape). I remember seeing the preview of "That Old Gang of Mine" and knowing that it was going to be great, but I never got to see the episode until years later when it was on TNT.

I was a pretty big Season 2 fan, but I stopped enjoying the show in Season 3 after the haircut. Clark became a jerk for breaking up with Lois, and Lois got stupid with the tinfoil hat she wore for Star(?), although I still enjoyed a few episodes, like "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape" and the Christmas one. Then Lois became a giant victim with the whole amnesia thing. Lois is my favorite character (perhaps favorite TV character), and I hated what they did to her. And then when I gave the show another shot when I heard Lois & Clark were actually getting married, I found the mystical God wedding to be a letdown. wink But I think I missed out, because there are definitely points of Season 4 that I have enjoyed on the DVDs, especially AKA Superman. I love seasons 1-2, best still, though.

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I saw the pilot in '94 (I was 14) and got hooked after the first few episode. I was obsessed right away, collecting everything I could find, taping every episode etc. I joined the fandom as soon as I realized there was one. I'm always around even though I don't chime as often as I should anymore.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm, let's see. I never actually watched the show when it was on the air, though I remember hearing snippets about it from my peers (I was in middle school). In High School I finally happened to catch one episode on tv (a Sunday evening - I don't remember what episode it was but I do remember it was Season 1 and they were showing them all in order). I was hooked.

My obsession seemed to die off though cause I ended up not seeing it again for YEARS until they came out on DVD. I netflixed them first and became obsessed again. I had found the joys of fanfic in college when I was going through a Buffy obssession and so I googled LnC fanfic and found the archives. I spent quite a bit of time there before I actually made my way to the MBs.

I had never been on any MBs and didn't think they sounded very exciting. I came, I lurked, I posted, became obsessed, and here I am 4 years later. Awesome show and awesome boards.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Blogger
Blogger
I watched L&C obsessively during it's initial run. I was in middle school and then high school. I remember the thing that got me interested was they ran the first few Superman movies on TNT or TBS and I had never seen them, so I watched them and enjoyed them. Not too long after I saw a newspaper or magazine article talking about "the new Superman show coming on" and I thought, hmmm that might be interesting.

When I started watching, I was hooked. My husband (we met and started dating in high school) is a huge comic book fan and watched L&C as well. When we were getting to know each other, I told him my favorite show was L&C. His face just lit up! We got together shortly after that, and have been together ever since. (Almost 15 years now.)

I actually discovered fanfic when I was in high school and I am pretty sure the first fic I remember reading was Sheila Harper's "A Shot In the Dark". I have been hooked ever since.

So thank you to all of the wonderful, talented authors who have managed to extend the magic of Lois and Clark for me for so many years through fanfic. This is truly the best, highest quality fanfic site I know of (and I'm involved in several fandoms.)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I kept seeing promos for it throughout the summer of 1993, and all I could think was "ugh, ANOTHER Superman show?" (Yeah, because Superfriends and Superboy = sooo many shows.) I was 12. I was a bit dumb. So when the pilot aired, my mom and younger brother decided to watch it, and I didn't want to have it on, but they overruled me (and we only had one TV) so I sat there and watched it until the part with the snake, which freaked me out so much that I fled the room!

Throughout the first half of season 1, my mom and brother watched the show faithfully, and occasionally I would slip in to see what was going on. I remember seeing the part in GGGOH where Lois has to choose between a stuffed animal and a Superman doll, and thinking that was hilarious. By the end of season 1, I'd started watching it regularly, too. Barbarians at the Planet and House of Luthor were great episodes. Then the reruns began, and I caught them when I could. At some point, I began taping eps when I couldn't watch them, then taping over them with later eps (which I would come to regret, of course. D'oh.)

Sometime around late August or early September 1994, BATP and HoL were about to re-run, and something clicked inside me. I realized that I loved, really really loved, L&C. I found a brand-new tape and began taping all the episodes. After school on Mondays, I'd run home to re-watch the previous night's episode... then watch it again and again as the week went on. Season 2 is my favorite to this day, and I have a lot of great memories associated with watching it... Crying when Mayson died. Flipping out when I saw the promo for Tempus Fugitive. Obsessively studying the promo for Return Of The Prankster with my brother, watching as Superman, then Lois, were pushed off the balcony, and wondering "How're they going to get out of THIS one?" Screaming when And The Answer Is... ended the way it did.

At the beginning of season 3, we finally got online and I found a forum of fellow FOLCs. One of the first things I did was download an episode guide, so I could read about season 1 episodes (I hadn't seen them all, and had forgotten others.) One of the novelties of being online at that time was that there were spoilers galore. I lived for spoilers. Then I found fanfic. There was no archive yet, but there was an email list. I consumed stories, and started writing my own.

I really wanted to get my hands on the season 1 episodes I hadn't taped, so I organized a tape-trading system among other FOLCS. They'd send me a few eps they had; I'd copy them (using two VCRs) for myself, then copy my own episodes for them. Within six months, I had every episode on tape. (It seems so crazy, now, that I can just hop onto Netflix, and with the click of a button, watch ANY EPISODE I WANT. If only they'd had that back then!)

Season 3 had the ARGH and season 4 had its weirdnesses, but I stuck by it 'til the end, even sending letters to ABC, the WB, etc. when the show was facing cancellation. My biggest regret is never visiting the WB studios when L&C was on the air (my family visited Universal Studios in 1996 -- you could see the WB studios FROM there -- sooo close!). In the fall of 1997, the TNT episodes began and I was there every day, watching them as if I had never seen them (100 times) before.

There's never been another show that has captured my emotions, attention, imagination, so well. Never been another show that I can watch repeatedly and not get tired of it. Never been another show for which I am inspired to write fanfic or make music videos. Even though my obsession level isn't near what it was back in the 90's, this is still my favorite show and I am still proud to be a FOLC.

Molly
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I believe I first started watching L&C in early 2002, when I stumbled upon a re-run on TV. I was 14 at the time. I was bored, looking for something to watch and decided to pick the channel with the handsome guy on. laugh

It was Smart Kids; I found it interesting, but failed to watch out for the show until I caught it again a couple of weeks later (it was on on Saturday and Sunday early in the evening). Soon I was hooked. I remember having people over at the house and pretending to be studying and "will be with you guys later" just to watch L&C. blush And then in the summer, we were to go a trip abroad for 2 weeks with my family, so I asked a girl from my school I didn't really know all that well but had a VCR, to record the episodes I'd miss. We went out for a coffee so she could give me the tape, and we've been good friends ever since. smile

In October of that same year, I posted a review of L&C on IMDB. Two months later, Raquel saw it and decided to email me, because she found the fact that I was Greek interesting. We started exchanging emails regularly, and when she told me about fic and the boards etc., I came to pay a visit, and soon I became a regular. smile

I always love remembering those times. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
The very first episode!

I've been collecting comic books since I was eight years old and I've watched most versions of Superman on film, but for whatever reason, this has always been my favorite. I think it's Dean...lol!!

drool

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard