Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#193892 05/14/10 03:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I think the show kinda went downhill after The Cut. Kinda like the dolphin thing for Happy Days. smile It's like after The Cut, Lois didn't do B & E's anymore -- and she just generally lost her spunk. I think that if it hadn't been for The Cut (and the small detail about Teri getting pregnant pre-S5), the show woulda lasted longer than Smallville.

A copy of The Daily Planet for your thoughts? smile

Just got married (21st June 2010).
#193893 05/14/10 04:19 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I think you should talk with Tank about this...

BTW, What does "B & E" mean?

Also BTW, I think you mean the shark for the Happy Days episode.

cheers,
Lynn

#193894 05/14/10 04:26 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
If you are using the haircut as a 'timeline' thing and a representation of the character as written in seasons three and four and your interpetation of the character in those seasons, fine.

I hope you aren't saying that the haircut itself had anything to do with the way the writers saw the character in those seasons because that is patently ridiculous.

For me (beside thinking that Lois looked good in the shorter hairstyle) the haircut was a 'marker' of the change in the relationship between Lois and Clark/Superman. It's the start of the period where Lois and Clark are a true couple.

Many think that this change of the relationship was the 'downfall' of the series and that (like has happened to other series in the past) resolving the sexual tension led to its demise.

Tank (who thinks that most Hollywood writers have fun with sexual tension, most can't write a stable relationship to save their lives)

#193895 05/14/10 05:55 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I think that the show was much better in S1 and S2 than in the two later seasons. Just think about the Wedding ARGH or the amnesia arc - we didn't have anything like that in the first two seasons. IMHO, the writers should have stuck with Debora Joy Levine's original idea to not let them get together before season 5 or 6. (At the very least, that would have meant more seasons for us to enjoy. Even with a pregnant Teri - maybe we could even have gotten an arc where LnC did get intimate to write the pregnancy into the series?)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#193896 05/14/10 07:09 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:

IMHO, the writers should have stuck with Debora Joy Levine's original idea to not let them get together before season 5 or 6. (At the very least, that would have meant more seasons for us to enjoy. Even with a pregnant Teri - maybe we could even have gotten an arc where LnC did get intimate to write the pregnancy into the series?)
I would have loved that! hyper

Ann

#193897 05/14/10 07:29 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
@Tank: yeah, time-line demarcation thing. sorry -- English isn't my first language. ^_^' But yeah, that's what i meant.

@Lynn: B & E -- breaking and entering. quoting Inspector Henderson.

@everyone else -- yeah, i think that after they got Lois & Clark together, the show just went south. and i think Clark got a little too smug in some episodes, like when Lois became Editor. at the end, Lois says she wants to be with clark where the action is and he says "Good" and I'm like, "Eh?" O_O

Deb Levine's idea woulda rocked. And a pregnancy written into the show. That woulda been awesome! Except that Teri WAS pregnant, and couldn't have handled 16-hour days.

And why make a haircut a milestone for when they got together? i don't get it. i'm sorry. frown

Ooh, and is it just me or did anyone notice that after The Cut, Lois looked almost like a totally different person?

She looked totally cute and young on S1 and S2 and then BAM! Twenty going on thirty. the transformation was so dramatic to me.

i'm sorry if i seem so very shallow, but i really felt that she changed too much.

#193898 05/14/10 07:40 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
@Lynn: B & E -- breaking and entering. quoting Inspector Henderson.
Ah. Of course. That makes sense. Thanks.

And why make a haircut a milestone for when they got together? i don't get it. i'm sorry. frown
I think Teri needed to have her hair short for another role she was playing. The timing was just coincidence.

I, too, prefer the first two seasons; for two reasons:

1) The last two seasons became increasingly dark. I am decidedly uncomfortable with all of the occult themes in it.

2) Because of the change in the relationship, we got to see less of Clark in his Superman persona. He may have been in the Suit more, but he was acting like Clark when he was in private with Lois (as, indeed, he needed to, given their changed relationship.)

BTW, that makes me think about the season 3 pilot, and my pet peeve therewith. Am I the only one who finds jolting the clanging sound that occurs when Lois shoves a broom into Clark's chest? What was the sound person thinking -- that just because Superman is called the "Man of Steel," if something were to hit his body it would make the same sound as if it were to have hit steel? Aside from the fact that there was no precedent for that in the show, I think that Lois might have gotten a clue from such a sound the first time anything had hit Clark's body...It wouldn't have taken her two years to figure out Superman's alter ego. <shrug> Oh well, by now I really should have given up any hopes of logic where this show is concerned. Once again it is a case of fortifying my suspension of disbelief...

cheers,
Lynn

#193899 05/14/10 07:54 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
@Lynn: not only were the themes in the last two seasons increasingly dark, the cinematography kinda lost the "glossiness" it had the first two seasons. S3 and S4 just wasn't as camp... it'd been too given over to cheap tricks.

@Lara Joelle: i hated the wedding too. that Mike grated on my nerves, nice as he was. They shoulda gotten married at the farm or something, and i'm sorry, but the second weddings outfits were hideous. the little bow in Lois's hair on the second wedding... argh! I wish they'd scrapped the entire clone arc. other than it being annoying, didn't Lois & Clark deserve a church wedding under God after all they'd been through? And who was Mike, anyway?

they shoulda let Dean and Teri write S3 and S4. they didn't do too badly when they wrote their episodes. i especially loved Teri's episode.

#193900 05/14/10 09:35 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
they shoulda let Dean and Teri write S3 and S4. they didn't do too badly when they wrote their episodes. i especially loved Teri's episode.
That's funny, because Teri's episode is not universally liked because it's so far-fetched. The episode plays like it's TERI'S high school experience, not Lois', and negates everything we had previously heard about Lois' teenage years, where she was bookish and a goody-goody, not best friends with the head cheerleader and dating the quarterback.

I actually preferred the second half of the series. The actors -- and characters -- were gelling so well, and the chemisty between Dean and Teri was off the charts. I am not a Superman fan per se, so I preferred that he was less of a dominant presence once Lois and Clark got together. After all, the show, from its inception, was about big-city Lois Lane falling in love with farm-boy Clark Kent ... who just happened to be Superman. This wasn't your average Superman incarnation -- Lois even had top billing in the title!

If Lois and Clark had gotten together earlier -- from the get-go -- I don't think the show would have lasted four seasons. The will-they-or-won't-they angle benefitted the show. The show was practically in the toilet when the writers decided to let Lois and Clark pursue a romance -- if for nothing else but to make the fans happy since the show was likely going to be cancelled -- and that is, ironically, what turned the ratings around. People didn't want to watch Lois mooning over Superman and ignoring Clark, but they were more than willing to watch Lois choose Clark OVER Superman. Who says that nice guys finish last? wink

And as for Teri's hair, I love when it was very sleek and glossy the last few episodes of Season 2, but otherwise, I was glad she cut it. In that style, it was too heavy and weighted looking at the beginning of Season 3. I really like it when it has grown out a little, i.e. around HIWTHI, and I love it at the very end of the series, in TFH. I actually have had my hair cut that way -- took a photo from that episode into the salon and everything -- and it's a nice, managable cut.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#193901 05/14/10 04:45 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
@EditorJax: i'm not sure the writers of Lois & Clark even knew what far-fetched means. lol.

what i didn't like about S3 and S4 was that Lois didn't seem to be as doggedly stubborn and... well, I just thought she became a lot more docile after her relationship with Clark started.

as for IASWAA being more like Teri's life instead of Lois's, i don't think so. the episode Operation Blackout confirms that while Lois always made straight-A's, she was also best friends with the the people who ruled the school.

but yeah, it really was ironic that in trying to make the fans happy, the show took a downturn. who knew? XD does anyone remember if Lois & Clark was ever top-rating or if it just kinda middled? Because I feel that S3 and S4 were experimental in a lot of ways, like they were trying to catch a wave to or back to the top?

as for my hair, I took a screen shot from the Pilot and had my stylist copy it. laugh yeah, it's a bit of work, but it does turn heads.

right, Aki? <3

#193902 05/14/10 08:44 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
as for IASWAA being more like Teri's life instead of Lois's, i don't think so. the episode Operation Blackout confirms that while Lois always made straight-A's, she was also best friends with the the people who ruled the school.
This is actually incorrect. Molly was Lois' best friend/roommate in college, not high school. Her best friend in high school, according to IASWAA, was Julie, the head cheerleader. Ironic that Teri's best friend in high school was ALSO a cheerleader named Julie.

What we knew of Lois' high-school existence prior to that episode, was that she got straight A's, was student-body president, and never once skipped school. She also was in the chess club and math club. Not exactly meshing with the Lois we saw in IASWAA, who was definitely A List. Honestly, at least at my high school, the girls like Julie and Peggy would have picked on the girls like the Lois that was depicted in Season 1.

And a side note on Molly: She certainly didn't seem like the type who ruled the school, more like an activst/alternative girl who was headstrong and passionate about her causes, much like Lois. That is probably the basis on which their friendship was forged -- and once Molly became distracted by a guy, they drifted apart.

As for the ratings, Lois and Clark became a ratings winner in Season 3, once the secret was revealed. It was a new concept to have Lois not only know the Man of Steel's secret -- but be dating him! The show regularly made the top 20 in the Nielsens, and even reruns were beating first-run episodes of the competition. The show didn't decline once the writers gave the fans what they wanted -- the first time. The fans had wanted Lois and Clark together from the get-go, and the writers decided to go ahead and throw caution to the wind when the ratings were down in Season 2 (largely because the focus was too heavy on Superman and A-Plots). Ironically, what they figured would be the show's swan song turned it into a bona fide hit.

The show did, however, begin to decline after Lois and Clark got married. There was a HUGE dropoff between the end of Season 3 and the beginning of Season 4. Why? Simply put, the sexual tension was gone. The dance between Clark and Lois was sone of the show's selling points -- would they or wouldn't they; how close would they get to the fire ... their sexual chemistry was off the charts. Once they were married -- and Superman now had a wife like any other guy -- the honeymoon was over for a lot of viewers, and the show went into a steep decline. Couple that with ABC wanting to get rid of the show, and Teri and Dean's lack of promotion of the show during Season 4, and, well, that's why we never found out what happened with the baby in their kitchen!

#193903 05/14/10 11:07 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
oh. i suppose i need to re-watch the DVDs again, then. ^_^ it's really just sad that the show ended when it did. it's a good thing there's this whole FoLC community and the stories some of the writers here turn out help make up for the loss. smile

#193904 05/18/10 07:38 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Just to add my 2cents. Abut the hair: You go, Tank. That haircut opened up Teri's face and gave her a glow. Also, that long lanky stuff made her look very horsey.

I too, preferred the later episodes starting towards the end of S. 2, when L&C began their romance. It must be a NW thing, Jenn. Until then, the series seemed to focus on S-Man heroics instead of the personal attraction between the two leads, which had been D.J. Levine's original idea. TPTB changed her premise by moving the time slot from the originally inteneded 9:00 EST to 8:00 thus requiring a more family/kid oriented show. How great it would have been if it had stayed at 9:00 and been the smart and sophisticated Thin
Man kind of show she had envisioned.

It actually wasn't the fact that they were married, but the fact that, as Tank says, Hollywood writers don't know how to write a real relationship. What really killed the show, was the fact that they didn't get married in the Aarch. I know people who were some time watchers, who thought they got married and the show had ended. Faithful followers were so angry and frustrated by the lame stuff that followed the Aarch, that they stopped watching. TPTB had to do something to get them back, but their attempts were too dumb and too late. I, however, must be the only person in the universe who actually liked the 3 episode Aarch, but I also thought the episodes immeeiately following were just terrible.

A quick correction about the clank when Lois gave Superman the broom to sweep up the glass from her broken window (btw, didn't you ever wonder what Lois's landlord thought about all the windows that kept geetting borken in her aparment?). The broom incident was part of the comedy of the scene, and Lois already knew Clark was Superman so it wouldn't have been revelatory.

Well, that's what I think, anayway.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#193905 05/18/10 07:56 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I, however, must be the only person in the universe who actually liked the 3 episode Aarch, but I also thought the episodes immeeiately following were just terrible.
Nope. <G> I really enjoyed them, too. For a variety of reasons - not least because they were the first I'd seen and they got me interested in the show. But also because they had so many elements that generally interest me in a show - the evil double, the memory loss. In the past, I'd been known to watch episodes of shows I loathed if that was the theme of the week. It's something that's always fascinated me.

So, not the only one, Jude. But, admittedly, we're a very small group. goofy

The episode which truly irked me around that time was STG... All I wanted by then was a nice wedding. A simple wedding. A normal wedding. Of course, there had to be some problem, some conflict, or it would have been a boring show. I was prepared for that.

But dumb angels acting like a Disney chipmunk and Wedding Destroyers and weird wedding ceremonies that were out of the realm of the normal universe and marriage certificates signed by said angels were too bizarre and out there for my liking.

And then, too, I felt cheated that we didn't get the Hawaiian honeymoon that had been built up through previous episodes. I'd have loved to have seen them involved in some escapade in Hawaii rather than what we got there.

And I really have to agree with this:

How great it would have been if it had stayed at 9:00 and been the smart and sophisticated Thin Man kind of show she had envisioned.
One of the great missed opportunities in TV land, I think.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#193906 05/18/10 09:42 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Jude:
A quick correction about the clank when Lois gave Superman the broom to sweep up the glass from her broken window (btw, didn't you ever wonder what Lois's landlord thought about all the windows that kept geetting borken in her aparment?). The broom incident was part of the comedy of the scene, and Lois already knew Clark was Superman so it wouldn't have been revelatory.
I understand that it was an attempt at humour; but it struck me (no pun intended) as a cheap laugh at the expense of consistency with the rest of the series, not to mention believability. Yeah, yeah, I know -- there are so many less believable things on the show, so why does that one get to me so? I'm not sure, except that for some reason, it calls attention to itself in such a way that it really does disrupt my suspension of disbelief. As was pointed out in a different thread, sometimes it is easier to swallow huge impossibilities than it is smaller ones or simple inconsistencies when choosing to be entertained by a show that clearly is not grounded in reality. <shrug> Go figure.

Joy,
Lynn

#193907 05/18/10 12:26 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'd have loved to have seen them involved in some escapade in Hawaii rather than what we got there.
Ratty, you're forgetting two very important words: Ceiling. Sex.

That is all. laugh

/whistles as she returns to the gutter

#193908 05/18/10 03:16 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
They could have

a. ceiling sex in Hawaii

b. go to Hawaii later

I agree with Labby though - Lois literally tripping over some big case while sipping something tropical on the beach... Could have been fun smile .

#193909 05/18/10 03:33 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
They could have

a. ceiling sex in Hawaii
If I recall, they talked about staying in a hut with a thatched roof. Would YOU want ... thatch burns?! I think not. laugh

/refrains from elaborating further to avoid being fired as a mod.

#193910 05/18/10 03:34 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
They TALKED about it - but who made the reservations? No way to know for sure where their reservations were. Besides that was in like January for their first non-wedding. Who knows what they had planned for their second one...

#193911 05/18/10 03:40 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Jenn- see option b.

kthnxbai

wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard