Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
There is no episode that can be abbreviated MTP
Totally guessing here, but I think Capes was talking about "Stop the Presses", which I've seen some people incorrectly refer to as "Meet the Presses."

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ah! I didn't know that that was a common mis-reference. Thanks, C_A.

I can never remember (and I don't feel like watching it at the moment) . . . which episode was Stop the Presses?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
STP was the one where Lois became editor

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh yeah! Thanks. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Merriwether
Merriwether
That's also the one where They try to wear down and kill Superman in the silo, using that molecular disbandor or something.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I knew "MTP" looked wrong, but I was too lazy to look it up. In my defense, I hate the episode so I avoid it like the plague! laugh

I, unfortunately, remember all the other despicable details far too vividly.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Look how many fics have been written when the writer had know copies of the episodes at all.
Okay, okay, I no better. Really I do. That’s what I get for having two different thoughts at the same time. I fixed my error. (And, oh, how I hate it when I do things like this. I can’t believe it.)

Nancy, check out this history of the series. It includes the beginnings of the show as well, but several pages in you'll find the Disney stuff.
Thanks. I’ve never seen that site, and I’m going to check it out. I didn’t mean to say I didn’t have all the eps, though. I’ve got every one and then some (multiple copies - VHS and DVD). I’ve been there since the beginning of the series. I still have the VHS tape where the pilot was shown as a Sunday night movie and you got the whole thing in one shot. As far as I know that’s the only time it was shown on TV like that.

I just meant that I don’t think we should be so focused so much on canon because I like new and fresh takes on the stories. I also like it when authors incorporate other Superman canon in their fics. (But, like LabRat, I don’t the characters to become something from one of the other incarnations - no red haired Loises (as in the comics and SR), etc. And really, who could ever see ‘our’ Superman having had a relationship with Lori Lemaris, the mermaid?

I agree. There's nothing will make me close down a story file quicker than seeing some 'fact' which directly contradicts what we saw on the show. (Unless the writer is deliberately twisting canon and makes that clear in the story).
Hmm… Wouldn’t that be evident from the story? Of course, if the author thought that was canon, then I can see that as a problem. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to go ahead and call one’s story an alternate reality or elseworlds fic, though.

What’s OTT mean? I tried looking it up online, and I got something called an ott-lite.

Like I said, though, I like new and fresh takes on the stories. But if an author tried to insist that something happened in the series when it didn’t that would probably bug me because it would show me that they knew nothing of the series. But also people can assume they know what a character would do when some of that is a matter of perception.

I don't think so either, BUT I think the decision to make changes to characterization should come from an informed position, where the author says, I know Lois was actually THAT way, as per episodes x, y, and z, but I'm going to make her a little more THIS way, and I'm going to explain the change by saying that she was actually orphaned when she was two or married to someone else during college or whatever it takes to explain your alterations.
Exactly. That’s what I meant above. You said it better.

Very few fanfiction readers, IMO, are willing to accept characters who don't ring true simply because the author doesn't know what "true" is. And you can usually tell when this is the case.
True, but I got blasted for doing something that I absolutely knew our Clark probably would never do, but I did it anyway. (He ‘took’ someone’s memory, but hey it *was* Mayson Drake’s - the snake.) So we shouldn’t assume that the writer doesn’t know.

But, yes, Caroline, I like what you said.

Soul mates feels like a star trek holodeck episode.
Oh, my gosh, that’s the best description of Soul Mates I’ve ever seen. I love it. You got that SO right.

And I agree with what you said about Lois. It was said to me that the Lois and Clark of Season 1 were too shockingly different from the Lois and Clark of Season 4. That Lois was b**chy in season 1 and Clark was edgy (liked to tease Lois and put her in her place) and that (while it was a gradual progression) by the time Season 4 rolled around, Lois was too nice and Clark had been neutered.
I also see it as a character development. I liked Season 4!! But then I liked them all, and I mourned and cried when the show went off the air. It was just so unfair. We were promised at least one more year.

I’d have to agree that Sex, Lies, and Videotape was one of my favorites.

Well said, DJ. (And I bet I can guess who you were talking to. ROTFLOL.)

The scene from the NK arc where Clark is asked who he is to be making orders and he stands up and broodingly says "I am your leader, that's who"
Well said, DJ.

If anyone is neutered it’s Lois IMO and for those who love the bitchy, self-absorbed Lois
Well, I for one, wasn’t crazy about the bitchy, self-absorbed Lois. And she wasn’t like that in all of S1 either - think about her doing the tush push or whatever with Clark.

Imagine that there was man with Superman’s semidivine powers and general humanism, What would he do?
He has the power to singlehandlly change the political landscape of earth for the better.
If such a being existed in the real world, I’d think he would take action. It’s pretty hard for the writers of and Superman genre to do that, though, because that can’t happen in the real world. That’s why DC comics never really tried to have Superman stop Hitler during WWII. That idea has stood.

To me though Superman have thought one step further. Yes in the short run he could create a better world by force, but in the long run this would likely result in greater misery.
Exactly.

Dude! You guys are harshin' my buzz...
Well, I’m not completely sure what that means, Sue, but it made me laugh… Okay, yeah… right. A Nyquil moment.

And to me, Ching is high-handed and overbearing. Leave playing god to the actual gods, I say. And just because Superman has the power to do all that he does doesn't make him a god.
Yeah, I don’t like Ching, either.

Personally, I don't believe his caring heart would be able to stand an ongoing effort like that because he would likely wear himself out mentally trying to do all that he could.
Yes, I can see Clark as being prone to depression. (And that’s coming from a psychiatric nurse.)

Mostly I just want to know - how the heck was he keeping Lois on the ceiling at the beginning of Brutal Youth? There's a little while there where she's laying on his arm, but that's it. He's not "holding" her there. Is it his magnetism that keeps her floating? Some kind of power transference when they made love? But then, if that's true, why is the blanket just laying there and not falling away? For that matter, why aren't her breasts more "down" than "sideways"? (Yes, make it logistically correct!)
It’s his aura, Sue. But I gotta agree. What was keeping her breasts ‘sideways’?

I was thinking it was quite funny how people who can spend months writing about said fantastical character would find it strange to discuss his ethical ramifications.
Anyway it’s a hobby of mine.
Snort. Rotflol… (I won’t say the obvious…)

But back to the main subject. I like S4 and I thought the money was well spent!

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I can't even remember STP. I haven't watched all the eps in my DVD set yet. So I'm off to watch to remind myself. (I may regret it.)

Merriwether
Merriwether
OTT = over the top ?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, I don’t like Ching, either.
Oh, I never said I didn't like him. I actually found him quite intriguing. Somewhat arrogant, yes, but overall, I thought he was a good guy--despite the whole kryptonite forcefield thing.

And now that I think about it, maybe Ching's speech about Clark's wimpiness wasn't really his real opinion at all. Maybe it was another test? A test that even Zara didn't know about, because it was possibly a test for her too?

Oooh . . . I'll have to incorporate that into PPKM somehow!

Darcy\'s Place
Merriwether
Merriwether
Mostly I just want to know - how the heck was he keeping Lois on the ceiling at the beginning of Brutal Youth? There's a little while there where she's laying on his arm, but that's it. He's not "holding" her there. Is it his magnetism that keeps her floating? Some kind of power transference when they made love? But then, if that's true, why is the blanket just laying there and not falling away? For that matter, why aren't her breasts more "down" than "sideways"? (Yes, make it logistically correct!)
Just for you, I reviewed those couple of minutes. Repeatedly. wink

Now, her breasts are actually entirely covered by the quilt the entire time. Her legs and face, however, are definitely experiencing "gravitational" pull -- in the wrong direction. His too, for that matter.

So let's think about what it would feel like to Lois if gravity were pulling on her correctly. It would feel like she were about to fall, right? And that's no good. Thus, the "aura effect" must be sufficient not only to keep her and the blanket on the ceiling, but keep 'em there comfortably.

(Yeah, I don't buy it either. Besides, the bed looked comfortable enough, and the ceiling looked cold and hard. And going by the interview Teri Hatcher gave on Rosie shortly before the episode aired, WAS cold and hard! I'd recommend sticking with (or to) the bed.)

Makes almost as much sense as being able to cram electrical circuitry and a capacitor or two into a tiny wedding band, or having the "youthened" show the results immediately, but the "aged" take 2-3 days to show results.

Just repeat to yourself a few times: "It's comic-book physics." The twitching tends to stop eventually.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just repeat to yourself a few times: "It's comic-book physics." The twitching tends to stop eventually.
Hehehe....

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
quote: Just repeat to yourself a few times: "It's comic-book physics." The twitching tends to stop eventually.

Hehehe....
Ha ha! I have to second that laugh. And thanks for playing Devil's Advocate for a bit Rivka! I LOVE to do that (and especially with Sue - it's so fun to pick at her... love ya Sue).

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sue,

I can forgive a multitude of sins in the second season. Just not the fourth.
Yes I think that’s why the latter seasons are not as well-liked. The writers had jerked the audience around to much making them less tolerant of new experiments. I'm really glad I wasn't following the series during the arch from hell.

Capes,

I, unfortunately, remember all the other despicable details far too vividly.
Capes, could you develop that? I certainly don’t find MTP despicable. I can see how Lois quick boss transformation was to sudden and the young guys trying to kill Superman was a little over the top(Nothing unusual about that though). But I did like how those guys methodically finds a comic–credible way to kill Superman, without Kryptonite, which is always something worth an applause. The concept that changed work relations affect the relationship work well as a B-plot as well IMO.

Classicalla,

Well, I for one, wasn’t crazy about the bitchy, self-absorbed Lois. And she wasn’t like that in all of S1 either - think about her doing the tush push or whatever with Clark.
That Lois has a greater dramatic potential, plus people enjoy seeing her being taken down a notch now and then.
And that Lois can enjoy herself square dancing hardly make her less self-absorbed.
S1 Lois can be nice if there is something in it for her and people worships the ground she walks on.

DSD,

And now that I think about it, maybe Ching's speech about Clark's wimpiness wasn't really his real opinion at all. Maybe it was another test?
Well, Ching’s extreme attitude stemmed from jealousy, he didn’t want Kal-EL to be worthy of his heritage and claim Zara as his wife, since they had romantic feelings for each other.
But his snap shot view from another world seems quite believable.
At a cursory glance it’s easy to interpret Clark refusal to exercise his powers as a fear for responsibility.

Rivka,

Besides, the bed looked comfortable enough, and the ceiling looked cold and hard. And going by the interview Teri Hatcher gave on Rosie shortly before the episode aired, WAS cold and hard! I'd recommend sticking with (or to) the bed.
Well, that what I thought about refrigators in Sue’s FB thread, but I guess sometimes the idea in itself can have an appeal. laugh

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Kerth
Kerth
Well, that what I thought about refrigators in Sue’s FB thread, but I guess sometimes the idea in itself can have an appeal.
As I recall, that was the same objection that Lois had in the kitchen interlude. laugh
How long, exactly? Because the more I think about it the more that bottle of cherry-flavored NyQuil is calling to me...

Sue (who would object to neither the refrigerator nor the ceiling if Clark was propositioning her)

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Ohhhh... NyQuil. drool

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, as for the start of Brutal Youth, Lois was tired of only Clark breaking the laws of physics and decided she wanted to start breaking them too. It's quite simple, really.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sue (who would object to neither the refrigerator nor the ceiling if Clark was propositioning her)
You, and me, and about every other female on this board....

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Arawn said:

Capes, could you develop that? I certainly don’t find MTP despicable...The concept that changed work relations affect the relationship work well as a B-plot as well IMO.
Just remember you asked for this elaboration smile And you must know that for me A-plot credibility has always been secondary to the B-plot in the show. I have no real quibbles with the A-plot.

What I hated about STP was precisely the work dynamic. Clark's unprofessionalism in this episode appalls me. I also found it out of character.

I could buy Lois being a little high-handed given the stress of the new job and the desire to appear fair to the staff. Clark was another matter. Clark was always portrayed as someone who admired and respected his partner. He supported her totally. That Clark would have been thrilled at her promotion and done everything he coudl to ease the transition. If he felt she was getting carried away, he'd have talked to her, not ripped her door off the hinges. I just don't buy STP Clark is the same man who said "I'm attached to Lois Lane. I'm not asking for any changes, am I?"

As someone whose "other job" constantly required he skip out without notice, he got upset with her for having to do the same due to her job. He acted jealous (which he had no right to be) and boorish.

The ending was a complete copout. Sure, Clark apologised for being upset, but she also apologised--what did she have to apologise for? Wanting to do the best she could? Also, he never once apologised for his complete failure to support her.

In a professional workplace there are certain codes of conduct that need to be followed. Clark broke all of them and undermined Lois's authority. For the same reason I wince when fanfic stories have Lois being referred to as "Mrs. Kent" in the newsroom, I dislike this perpetuation of the stereotype that says a woman can't have a happy marriage and a position of more power and rank than her husband, that men naturally will resent this difference and seek to sabotage it. And I don't buy that the person doing this is the same Clark Kent I love in the show.

You asked! smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out the Stop the Presses thread at Zoomway's boards. I'd reiterate some of what is said there, but I wouldn't be able to word it as well as it already was--and I'm terrible at summaries anyway.

I will say in response to your remarks, though, Capes, that there are posts referencing Lois and Clark's VERY new marriage, and Clark's insecurities (which we HAVE seen before this episode), etc. There's also my post about why I disagreed that the issues weren't resolved.

And to add to that:

I don't think the episode really did show the "typical" male attitude toward the situation. I think Clark was genuinely happy for Lois, even though he might not have realized just how MUCH went into being the EIC for a major metropolitan newspaper. Both he and Lois had valid points, but neither of them really understood the "new" position the other was coming from at the time. Lois, all of a sudden having to think like an editor, could not have Clark on a story she probably would have wanted to follow up herself--I went into this on the other board--and Clark, who usually thinks like an editor, was probably knocked for a loop because he and Lois usually had more time to find proof before they were taken off of stories.

And even if they weren't, Clark couldn't go against it this time, or the rest of the staff might think that Lois had ok'd it, and think that she was playing favorites. It's a no-win situation.

Darcy\'s Place
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard