Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#176303 03/23/04 04:27 PM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Well a topic I just read influenced me to post this. I'm not a great intellect on the English language (British, American, Canadian, Australian, South African, etc differences.... whatever) just to let you know or anything realting to the spoken or written word....so any insight would help me out.

"Help out on what?" You ask.

Well, I do not have immediate access to the episode so I cannot pin point the scene, also, I cannot rememmber the name, but it involves the Prankster.

Do you remember when Cat asks Lois whether she was scared and said Lois just had to be and it would be nice if she would admit it. Lois finally declared "I was alot scared".

I cannot stand the fact that she used the word alot in that context. To me she should have used very . To me that is so grammatically incorrect. I consulted with my English and linguistics prof while I was in University and they twitched at the usage.

Is this really right? Is it proper usage in the States? I'm from Canada. First Canadian born into a British family. .... with this I may out of the loop on something.

Or am I really sucking at word usage? I know some would be saying yes after reading my post.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#176304 03/23/04 04:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's been a while since I saw that episode, but yes, I think she did say "I was a lot scared." Note that "a" and "lot" are two words. It's a transposition of "I was scared a lot." and slightly changes the emphasis. Though not grammatically correct, it is a common US usage. I didn't really notice it at all and it seemed very natural to me. Dialog is often not grammatically correct.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#176305 03/23/04 04:54 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's not really correct.

It's more or less a slang usage that's fairly common in the US. (It's "a lot," by the way, but we run it all together, and write it, "alot,") She meant "very," of course, but a lot ( wink ) of us don't speak proper, precise English, especially when we're in informal settings.

To use it (as a... what is it, an adverb?) in your example is somewhat less common, I think, than using it at the end of a sentence such as "I really like Dean alot."

I agree with Artemis, it sounded pretty natural. We do use it alot (see, there I go again!) in the US.

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
#176306 03/23/04 04:56 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I think the reason she said that was to continue along the line of conversation where Cat asked Lois if she was "even a little scared." She one up-ed that and said she was "a lot scared." It isn't really a typical grammerical thing, but it fit with the context.

Golden Gopher Hockey: NCAA Back to Back Champs!
#176307 03/23/04 05:24 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I haven't heard it much here either but my friends and I tend to say 'really' rather than 'very' and instead of saying 'scared' we say 'freaked'. However, in writtend usage what you say is different to what you read so even though the context is wrong for some people it does sound right.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#176308 03/23/04 06:28 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I think stepper is exactly right. the "a lot" is the opposite of "a little", and so it worked as a conterpoint. It is kind of a slang play on words. Speech is very different from writing. I know that I say so many things that I would never write.

I have been known to say things like "It's a whole 'nother thing," and all kinds of other slang that I can't even remember right now. Writing it is a whole 'nother wink story.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#176309 03/23/04 08:21 PM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I think the reason she said that was to continue along the line of conversation where Cat asked Lois if she was "even a little scared." She one up-ed that and said she was "a lot scared."
I thought of that, but it still bugs me....LOL laugh

Thanks for the replies guys.

I understand slang and all....it was just weird.

I guess it's a mental twich I've developed because of a picky mum.

goofy Or maybe not. Just a different way with all that adverb blah blah blah stuff that I never could grasp from my communications class.

#176310 03/23/04 11:04 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read this thread precisely because the title was so awkward. "Alot Scared"? Who says "alot scared"?

Reading the question, I was actually dubious that Lois had said she was "alot scared". I thought maybe Roo's memory was playing tricks on her. (Sorry, Roo! wink )

Even changing the phrase to "a lot scared", as Artemis suggested, didn't help. I just couldn't hear Lois saying that.

Until I read Stepper's post. That makes perfect sense. I agree with Stepper (and Laura). It was never intended to be grammatically correct; it was intended to be a play on words.

Which is not to say that we English-speakers don't slaughter our native tongue on a daily basis. I just don't think that was the case here. I think language, any language, is simply an amazing concept to begin with. The more languages I study, the more amazed I am. I have a profound respect for all languages, and a special place in my heart for my mother tongue, English. I am also fascinated with word games of all sorts. I actually find playing with words to be a way of paying homage to the language.

So, if Cat asked, "Weren't you even a little scared?", and Lois answered, "I was a lot scared", I don't cringe. I chuckle and say, "Go, Lois!" thumbsup

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#176311 03/24/04 03:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The episode in question was actually "Witness" (the two episodes with the Prankster in them were both in season 2, so Cat wouldn't be in them).

This is from the script, so you can see the context. As others have said, Lois said "a lot scared" to contrast with Cat trying to make her admit she was least "a little" scared. Interestingly, the script doesn't have the wording of "a lot scared", but that is how I remember Lois giving the line in the episode, too. It's always neat to compare the written script to the more natural sound of the dialogue that makes it to the screen. smile (Which is my way of saying that, as an American, Lois's line of "a lot scared" sounded very natural in its context.)

Oh, but to clarify what Tic said, it is *never* correct to spell "a lot" as "alot". People do it, yes, but they are spelling it incorrectly when they do -- it's just plain wrong, no matter the context. It is always two words.

88 INT. PIT - NIGHT 88

Lois at work. Cat comes over.

CAT
Big story, huh.

LOIS
Mm.

CAT
You must have been terrified.

LOIS
It was a little scary.

CAT
You want to talk scary? I covered
the governor's wife's speech at the
museum volunteers' luncheon today.
Her dress -- that was scary.

Lois smiles politely and goes back to her story.

CAT
(continuing).
But you can tell me. You were
scared, right?

LOIS
Like I said, a little.

CAT
A lot.

LOIS
Little.

CAT
Lot..

LOIS
Why is it so important to you that *
I admit how scared I was? *

CAT
It just makes you more human. *
(beat)
Okay. I write as well as you do,
I'm more fun at parties. But
you're the star here -- the chief's
favorite. In on all the action.
And when you get in trouble, look
who's hanging around to come to the
rescue -- not only a cute guy,
but also a god with a cape...

LOIS
But...

CAT
Excuse me. You asked, I am
answering. You've got something
the rest of us don't have, Lois.
So it would be nice if for once,
just once, you could admit that you
have bad days, problems, and
fears just like the rest of us.

She turns on her heels and goes. Lois takes a deep
breath.

LOIS
(calling)
Cat! (calling)

Cat turns back to Lois.

LOIS
I was scared. . . a lot. *

#176312 03/24/04 07:23 AM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh, but to clarify what Tic said, it is *never* correct to spell "a lot" as "alot". People do it, yes, but they are spelling it incorrectly when they do -- it's just plain wrong, no matter the context. It is always two words.
kool! You learn something new everyday!

#176313 03/24/04 07:25 AM
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
The words a lot must be written as two words. The phrase has the same meaning as both many and much and can be interchanged with either one.

A lot is followed by of when the meaning is general or by of the when the meaning is specific:

Example Meaning
People A lot of people have done research on discrimination practices among employers. General meaning
A lot of the people at the meeting disagree with the market strategy presented. Specific meaning
Money A lot of money is spent on the battle against AIDS. General meaning
The committee used a lot of the money surveying the population. Specific meaning

Sometimes, a lot can also end a sentence, but it is considered an informal expression:

We laughed a lot.

The budget for the universities in the state of Minnesota has grown a lot.
Examples, that's all.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard