Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174583 06/20/03 11:19 PM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was watching some of my old L&C tapes, and I spotted an kind of strange (for me, anyway) blooper. Lois, Clark, and Lois' mother are sitting at an outdoor cafe, waiting for the wedding coordinator. The actress playing Lois' mom points out to Dean that he has forgotten his napkin (a prop). Dean actually looks more annoyed than grateful, but he does take the napkin. Later in the scene, Clark hears a call for help, dabs his lips with his napkin, and excuses himself from the table.

So, my question, why is it so important for Clark to dab his lips with his napkin every time he gets up from the table? Searching my L&C tapes, I see that he does this all the time. Is is intended to show how well-mannered Clark is? Would people actually notice if he didn't do it? Is it just a little contrivance added to the script to make it seem more "real", like they actually had been eating? Especially, the fact the the other actress points out the napkin to Dean makes me think possibly this is not the first take - had he forgotten the napkin in the past? Did they have to re-shoot just because "Clark" didn't use his napkin?

Does anyone else think this is even remotely interesting, or do I just have *way* too much free time on my hands!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#174584 06/21/03 01:16 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't really know the answer to your main question but I found your post interesting because it never occurred to me until I read it that it was a byplay by the actors in this particular scene.

I had assumed that it was character driven. That Ellen was playing 'mom' with Clark, reminding him to have good table manners and use his napkin, and that Clark was irritated because he had had enough of Ellen by that point in general.

Mind you, it's been a long time since I watched this one and I could have been completely wrong even when I did. goofy Will be interested in seeing which interpretation people agree with.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#174585 06/21/03 08:11 AM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh, my! It never occurred to me that this was part of the show. Really?

Now I feel like "Roseanne Rosanadana" from "Saturday Night Live". Anyone remember her? She would go off on these long, heated tangents, only to realize in the end it was all a misunderstanding. Then, just like I'm doing now, she would blush and say, "Never mind!" blush

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#174586 06/21/03 08:44 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is it just a little contrivance added to the script to make it seem more "real", like they actually had been eating?
That's the one I'd bet on. smile I'd never really noticed the napkins before, but that explanation makes sense to me.

Oh, and congratulations! You've asked a really original question about L&C! goofy I've been around for eight years, and I've seen all the usual ones... It's a nice change to get a new question, and it keeps getting harder!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#174587 06/21/03 01:46 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Interesting I never actually spotted the annoyed look in Clark's face though by the way Ellen was behaving if she were my mother I'd be more than annoyed too. She is at times very full on look at the way she handled the planning of their wedding Swiss Bell Ringer? Doves? Isn't that a little over the top especially for two people like Lois and Clark.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#174588 06/21/03 02:28 PM
Vicki Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
OK - I know this is a really silly topic, and I don't want to obsess over this, but...

I just went back and put on the tape to re-watch it. I *really* don't think it was "Ellen" to "Clark", but rather Beverly (that is the actress' name, right?) making a (not-too-subtle) sign to Dean. I even dragged my husband in to watch it and tell me his opinion. He watched and agreed.

Anyone else out there who has this episode ("Never on Sunday") on tape, what do you think?

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard