Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
NostalgiaKick posted:
The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler.
In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

This is a really long one, but it's one of my personal favourites. It's wonderfully well written, and both the A-plot and the B-plot are great.
I have been meaning to read this for a long time...hearing both of you say how good it is definitely puts it near the top of my ever-expanding 'to read' list dance

Thanks!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All of the stories mentioned are wonderful and worthy reading. thumbsup Some more that I re-read time and again:

Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Doc. Klein's LabRat - The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

The Forgotten by Jenni Debbage - Lois and her children must face life without Clark and the world must face the future without a Superman when he goes missing in North Korea. Meanwhile, a man awakes in a prison cell and discovers he has no memories -- only hazy dreams of a beautiful woman in between frightening tests and pain. Will Clark be forgotten forever?

A Gift for Life by StopQuitDont and Jenni Debbage - When Clark is diagnosed with terminal cancer, Lois suggests a radical plan to save his life. But can their friendship survive the new challenges?

Nowhere to Run by ML Thompson - a satisfying resolution to the amnesia-Deter-arc.

Poison by Wendy Richards - The day after unknowingly drinking a Kryptonite-laced glass of wine, a feverish Clark staggers into the Daily Planet. A disgruntled Lois takes him back to his apartment and ends up taking care of him...

There\'s No Place Like Home by ML Thompson - From coworkers to partners to friends to lovers. But will it happen the same way every time? As Lois and Clark desperately try to find a way to correct the past, they discover there's a thin line between love and hate.

The Time Traveler\'s Wife by ML Thompson - A journalist who's missing in the Congo, a defective time travel machine and a lonely superhero results in an extraordinary adventure for alternate Clark. Will he obtain his heart's desire or will he destroy his world while endeavoring to do so?

When Friends Become Lovers and the sequel When Lovers Become More by Kathy Brown and Demi - Lois and Clark's relationship changes forever after an emotional night spent together. Following directly from the second season episode, "That Old Gang of Mine," this story follows the couple through breathtaking highs and devastating lows as they deal with the highly-charged issues only their romance could produce.

24 Hours by Wendy Richards - Lois Lane has been poisoned and she and Clark are running out of time to find the antidote. Will Lois live long enough to write her own obituary? The author has cranked up the angst-o-meter to 11 for our intrepid reporters.

50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S. - Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia?

Andreia cool

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
I recently read:

1. Aurora Borealis , by KenJ

Lois and Clark have just been married and are preparing to leave on their honeymoon when they are interrupted and Lois is kidnapped. Who took her and where is a mystery that needs to be solved.

This is the first of KenJ's stories I've had a chance to read. It stars a favorite villain (I won't spoil who, but I recommend you read it).

2. Purgatory , by StopQuitDont

Betrayal and revenge set the stage for an experience our favorite couple will never forget. Will Lois and Clark be able to live through hell on earth and bring those responsible for their misery to justice?

This one is based on a classic novel and does it justice.

3. What Makes a Man? , by StopQuitDont

One horrifying experience causes Clark to rethink everything he's come to know about himself. Will he be able to overcome the obstacles facing him and find his way back to the only woman he's ever loved?

This is an excellent story, but not for the faint at heart.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Another really good one is Burden of Conscience by Raconteur. In a single moment, a hero is destroyed, a friendship is torn apart, and a partnership is broken. Clark has to struggle with the burdens that defeated a Superman and Lois learns that there's no way to save someone unless they want to be saved.

It deals with some fairly heavy duty issues and is a serious tearjerker. I recommend having some tissues handy while reading. That said, it's well-written and engaging and has been on my personal favourites list for a while now.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
3. Goodnight Metropolis by Peabody.

Summary as given on the archive: They both want to wait up for Clark, but it's late, and Lois Lane Kent finds she must use all her skills in negotiation and misdirection to get her young daughter, Marta (who is just as talented in these areas), ready for bed. A charming "FoLC lullaby."

I agree with the summary's self-promoting last sentence. This is a sweet and charming story. If you want an A-plot or a steamy romance, look elsewhere, but if you are in the mood for a relaxing bedtime story, I would recommend this one.

4. A Guest from the Blue by Wendy Richards. The archives summary of this PG-13-rated story is, "With Lois away on an assignment, Clark is surprised when Lucy shows up on their doorstep. Sensing something is wrong, he invites her to stay, and in the process all three of them learn more about each other -- and themselves." Wendy handles a serious topic with great sensitivity. She also shows that Clark would make a terrific brother-in-law.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I've been reading a LOT of stories lately in an attempt to figure out which ones I want to rec for the Fanfic discussions.

1)

And now I get to my most recent:

I'm in the midst of reading Strangers III: When Hearts Collide.

It's the third part to a series where Lois leaves Metropolis to escape from the humiliation of Claude. In the meantime, Clark becomes a solid reporter for the Daily Planet. When Lois returns to Metropolis and meets and befriends the Miracle Man. They're all very good (usually I don't have a lot of patience for multi-story series in an archive but this one has been keeping me entertained. It has me going laugh rotflol this last quarter of the third story in Missy Gallant's series.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
#4. Are You Lonesome Tonight...? by Doc. Klein's LabRat. The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

This is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile, and thanks to seeing it posted here by Ultra Woman, I finished it recently. Great, great story--I really enjoyed it whole-heartedly thumbsup )

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
6. The Girl Next Door - Janet Owens - This month's FanFiction book of the month.

Apparently, I've read this before. thumbsup

7. Shane Terry's: Fugue II: Fusion -- Superman has returned, but Clark must deal with his sense of loss and a dangerous government conspiracy. Meanwhile, Lois heads for Metropolis, determined to take her destiny into her own hands.

This story is much darker than "Fugue". Life back in Metropolis is much harder as we learn why Lois went on the run in the first place. He kept me guessing who the big baddie was until the end. Very suspenseful.

Originally posted by LMA:
#4. Are You Lonesome Tonight...? by Doc. Klein's LabRat. The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

This is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile, and thanks to seeing it posted here by Ultra Woman, I finished it recently. Great, great story--I really enjoyed it whole-heartedly thumbsup )
I have to agree, Laura. I know I've read that one more than once. Apparently, it takes more than once for a title to stick in my head. clap This is one of my favorite reveals.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
I've been reading a LOT of stories lately in an attempt to figure out which ones I want to rec for the Fanfic discussions.

1)

And now I get to my most recent:
Um.... Christina? Did you forget something in your post?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Nowhere to Run by ML Thompson - a satisfying resolution to the amnesia-Deter-arc.
I read this one last fall. ("Finally!" says Michael, who has been recommending it to me for YEARS) Excellent story, but then again, I've never been disappointed by MLT.

The Time Traveler\'s Wife by ML Thompson - A journalist who's missing in the Congo, a defective time travel machine and a lonely superhero results in an extraordinary adventure for alternate Clark. Will he obtain his heart's desire or will he destroy his world while endeavoring to do so?
I've said this before and I'll never stop giving it a plug. This is the story which made me start to read and write FanFiction. notworthy As they say, you never forget your first. wink

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
#5. Midnight Gambit by ML Thompson. Lois is given three choices on the eve before her wedding to Luthor. Will she accept one of the choices offered, or will she make a different decision entirely?

Loved, loved, loved! This was a great read--that I started last night and finished this morning. The first story by ML Thompson that I have read--definitely will be reading more in the near future clap

Laura

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LMA:
#5. Midnight Gambit by ML Thompson. Lois is given three choices on the eve before her wedding to Luthor. Will she accept one of the choices offered, or will she make a different decision entirely?

Loved, loved, loved! This was a great read--that I started last night and finished this morning. The first story by ML Thompson that I have read--definitely will be reading more in the near future clap

Laura
Ooooh. I haven't read that one yet. /Adds to list. Oh, Look! All of MLT's stories are already on it. Need extra 10 hours in the day. wallbash /

VirginiaR.
---
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lois\' Story by Carol M
There really should be a kidnapper's handbook. And it really should say, "Never kidnap Lois Lane." An amusing tale about a dumb kidnapper who never read the book and a feisty reporter who's about to make him sorry for the oversight.

I've read this one a few times now. Whenever I come across it while randomly looking through the archive I have to read it again. This brief story about a not-so-bright kidnapper is a fun way to spend a couple minutes.

Magic 8-Ball by JDG
Just how accurate is a magic 8-ball?

I came across this one while randomly looking through the archive and decided to read it. This was a cute little story about Lois playing with a Magic 8-Ball.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
8. 50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S.: Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia? (Inspired by the concept of "50 First Dates") A multiauthored story by Matrix and Sue S.

Okay, I couldn't wait until the end of the month to see if this would be picked up by the fanfiction reader\'s club . I'm glad I didn't. Now, I'm itching to discuss it. /dinner? That doesn't have to be cooked and served *before* the kids' bedtime, right?/ [Linked Image] Let's just say these writers picked the exact perfect moment to give Lois selective amnesia. notworthy

VirginiaR.
---
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]8. 50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S.: Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia? (Inspired by the concept of "50 First Dates") A multiauthored story by Matrix and Sue S.

Okay, I couldn't wait until the end of the month to see if this would be picked up by the fanfiction reader\'s club . I'm glad I didn't. Now, I'm itching to discuss it. /dinner? That doesn't have to be cooked and served *before* the kids' bedtime, right?/ [Linked Image] Let's just say these writers picked the exact perfect moment to give Lois selective amnesia. notworthy [/b]
That is a good story. I read it years ago, in 2008. I've been thinking about rereading it for weeks now. I have been trying to be patient and waiting to see if it would be picked as one of the monthly stories, but I might just go ahead and reread it anyway, because I do really enjoy that story. smile

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Virginia,

peep blush

I meant to write something about the first two in the Strangers series (as well at their links). I've read a TON of other stories but I'm only putting this one up because it's doubtful we'd get to the particular story that I really enjoyed.

1) Strangers by Missy Gallant

2) Strangers II: Becoming Partners by Missy Gallant This is in reference to Kal/Jerome (his "stranger" name for himself as he knows about his history BEFORE becoming Superman in this version) and Lois becoming friends and Lois suggesting something about getting the Superman suit.

3) Strangers III: When Two Hearts Collide This one's the hilarious one. They can't avoid being affected by each other given Lois's history (which didn't make her face the issue of Claude head-on like she would have to become "Mad Dog Lane" and thus allowed her to fall directly for one Clark Kent so hilariously badly...in a good way.)

4) Strangers IV: Tender Mercies Clark Kent (not Superman as Clark is affected by Kryptonite for the first time) saves Lois from Luthor and his thugs. This also results in his arrest and their first story together (for a LONG time).

5)
Strangers V: Kissing Friends In this one, Lois is now definitely living up to her moniker "Mad Dog Lane" (especially with Clark). The friendship is built and maintained from the Kal/Superman side and not at all the Clark side. One day their nominated for a Kerth for their first story together. That breaks the ice and by the end of the story Lois finds out that Clark is Kal/Superman and they love each other.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
One that I've just finished re-reading is Green Card by Wendy Richards. Superman has just told Lois Lane that he's from another planet. Unfortunately for Clark, there is a government agency which is quite interested in that information... the INS!

I really enjoyed her take on the whole 'illegal alien' thing in this story. I do generally enjoy her stories, but this is one of my favourites.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
#6. Yellow Fever written by M.L. Thompson. Kryptonite is the only substance which can kill Clark. So why is Lois -- his wife! -- using it against him? Find out why in this dramatic tearjerker.

I just finished this one during lunch today--which I started the day before during my lunch (and which I stayed up reading last night till about 2:00 am blush ). Obviously, a very interesting premise--had me quite curious as to how it would end. Very enjoyable story! laugh

Happy reading,
Laura smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
(and which I stayed up reading last night till about 2:00 am blush )
That's not so bad. I started rereading 50 First Revelations around 1:00 AM and stayed up reading the whole story until just a few minutes before 8:00. blush

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow--you definitely got me beat laugh ....have not read that one yet, Lady Loisette, have to give it a try sometime!

Laura

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard