Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/18/14 06:40 PM
I was thinking... Would anyone be interested in a thread here comparable to the "50 Book Challenge" thread in the Off Topic folder? I thought we might share whatever older fanfic we have just finished reading with the group. The description could include a link to the TOC on this site or to the story on the archive, along with a brief description of the story. (Said description might simply be the summaries used in the archive.) The description could also include the reader's (non-spoiler) thoughts or opinions on the story.

An example:
I am currently reading M.L. Thompson's Blind Superman\'s Bluff . The archive teaser for this story is, "What might have happened if Superman's eyesight hadn't been restored in the episode "The Eyes Have It" -- leaving Lois and Clark to grapple with a new set of realities?"

I am very much enjoying this story. Although there are small amounts of A-plot in it, it is primarily a B-plot driven story. The author is quite adept in her handling of both dialog and emotions. She has an enviable ability to make even the most mundane scenes fascinating. Based on what I have read of the story so far, I would highly recommend it.

---

I would suggest only including in this thread stories that were fully posted a minimum of, say, half a year ago, on the assumption that people interested in the more current stories would be more likely simply to look at the recent FDK threads.

So, what do you think?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/18/14 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
An example:
I am currently reading M.L. Thompson's Blind Superman\'s Bluff . The archive teaser for this story is, "What might have happened if Superman's eyesight hadn't been restored in the episode "The Eyes Have It" -- leaving Lois and Clark to grapple with a new set of realities?"

I am very much enjoying this story. Although there are small amounts of A-plot in it, it is primarily a B-plot driven story. The author is quite adept in her handling of both dialog and emotions. She has an enviable ability to make even the most mundane scenes fascinating. Based on what I have read of the story so far, I would highly recommend it.
Lynn, I really enjoyed that one too. laugh thumbsup

The most recent Archive stories I read are this month's LnC FanFiction Reader\'s Club stories :

1. Lucy Lane is Coming to Town... by Nicole Sullivan. Lucy Lane is coming to spend Christmas with Lois, but she still needs to find her sister the perfect gift. Can that perfect gift be something money can't buy...like someone tall, dark, and handsome?

thumbsup

and

2. The Story of Kal-El and his Concubines by Saskia
Lois saves the day in this reworking of a certain few scenes from our favourite show.

I have to say that description doesn't really cut it. Let's just say it's different twist on the ending of the NK arc.

So many good sounding ones have been recommended on February\'s list I'll probably end up reading ahead. (That, and I promised my hubby that I'd try to be IN BED before midnight every night. Reading on my Nook counts, right? wink )

BTW, I think this is an excellent idea, Lynn, because I 99/100 read from the Archives and LnC Message boards (at least, when reading for myself) as opposed to for-profit books. clap Does this work, or do you only want novel length stories mentioned?
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/18/14 08:31 PM
Thanks for helping to get the ball rolling, Virginia.

Does this work, or do you only want novel length stories mentioned?
I would say that any length story would work here. After all, the idea is to share with others some older gems. I see this thread as complementary to the "book/vignette of the month" threads -- those threads may have many people discussing two stories a month with the stories chosen by majority vote; I am hoping that this thread will have a lot of stories mentioned by people who have decided on their own to read whatever has struck their fancy.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LabRat Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/18/14 08:46 PM
What a terrific idea, Lynn. thumbsup

LabRat smile
I read that one just last week. I wrote a similarly-themed story for another fandom years ago and am currently working on a sequel for it, so I was curious about it when I came across it while looking for something to read. I enjoyed it and ended up staying up all night reading it from beginning to end.

Another old story I recently read is one I read years ago that popped into my mind, so I had to read it again.

Pretty, Pretty Clark by Laura S.
"On a routine trip to Smallville, Lois and Clark have some adventures in babysitting and find out some rather remarkable things about their own feelings toward one another. Ficathon fic."

The story is both cute and amusing. There is one moment in particular that I just had to reread the story for, but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the story yet.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/19/14 08:44 AM
Pretty, Pretty Clark by Laura S.
Thanks, L.L. I've just added that to my (already very large but always room for more) "to read" list.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/19/14 08:23 PM
Lynn--what an excellent idea! dance ...

Looking forward to this thread--thanks!
Laura smile
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/21/14 10:52 AM
3. Thomas Mc's Birthday Surprise - On a boring Tuesday evening Kristen has to spend her birthday working by herself at the music store. Then the most popular boy on campus comes into the store and things take a very unusual turn.

Although this story was posted to the Archives in 2013, I thought I'd give it a shout out, since it didn't post to the boards.

Interesting look at Lois and Clark having to deal with their teenage son (Superboy) and keeping the family secret from the POV of the above-referenced Kristen (not part of the Kent family). Well written and hard to put down /just ask my kids who ate frozen pizza at 7pm last night. blush /
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/23/14 10:25 AM
4. Super Stud by M.L. Thompson: When Clark is affected by a powerful, mind-altering drug, Lois has to protect and defend his reputation while trying to come to terms with some startling discoveries herself.

Must remind myself that MLT's stories are highly addictive and difficult to set down, even when dinner time is passing and the kitchen is still cold. She has a way of capturing Clark's innate sweetness, which I envy as a writer and love as a Reader. I loved her unique and creative way she made Clark receptive to Revenge.

I read the Gfic version of this story, even though I've heard the Nfic version is scorching hot... but I couldn't find that version. This Gfic version was hot enough to let my imagination fill in the blanks, though. laugh
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/23/14 08:13 PM
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I read the Gfic version of this story, even though I've heard the Nfic version is scorching hot... but I couldn't find that version.
Virginia, the Nfic version is on Annesplace. It's really worthy reading. wink drool

Andreia
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/23/14 08:26 PM
1. It Happened One (Super) Night by Wendy Richards.
What if Superman hadn't crashed in Suicide Slum in the episode "All Shook Up"? What if he managed to reach Lois's apartment instead? This seemingly minor change in continuity results in some very major changes in Lois and Clark's lives.

Great story--creative idea! Had me up till after 1:00 am the last two nights seeing how it would end smile
(And woo-hoo! As connecting the URL for this post, I discovered that there is a sequel clap

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/26/14 04:12 PM
Originally posted by LMA:
What if Superman hadn't crashed in Suicide Slum in the episode "All Shook Up"? What if he managed to reach Lois's apartment instead? This seemingly minor change in continuity results in some very major changes in Lois and Clark's lives.
That sounds like a good one, Laura. I'll have to check it out.

5. Shane Terry's Fugue : As the world mourns the apparent loss of Superman, a mysterious drifter tries to make sense of his shattered memory, sudden flashes of superhuman power and the images of a dark-haired woman that haunt his dreams.

Alt-Clark after Nightfall. drool Off to read the sequel: Fugue II.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/26/14 05:44 PM
2. Getting Even is a challenge story started by Wendy Richards and finished by Tank Wilson. The blurb on lcfanfic for this story describes the story thusly: Clark Kent's worst nightmare is sitting outside his front door, waiting to be read. Bending to pick up his morning paper, he realizes Lois Lane just wrote the scoop of the century -- and he's the subject.

The T&W challenges are always fun. One writes the first part of the story and ends with a near-insurmountable cliff-hanger. (The beginning author must have in mind at least one possible ending for the story, so the stories aren't actually Kobayashi Marus.)

Kudos to Wendy for terrific setup for the story and to Tank for his creative solution.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/27/14 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Virginia:
That sounds like a good one, Laura. I'll have to check it out.
You should--AMAZING how this one little switch-er-oo changes EVERYTHING! (and so far, really liking the sequel, too clap )

Happy reading everyone,
Laura
I seem to be into rereading stories I read years ago at the moment. This time I reread:

The Kiss Off by CC Aiken and Erin Klingler
Lois needs a new car! And fast. How far will she go to get one? Would she even agree to enter a kissing contest with...Clark? A multiauthored story by CC Aiken and Erin Klingler.

Lois and Clark enter a kissing contest. What more do you need to know? :p
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 01/30/14 03:36 PM
Lady Loisette posted:
Lois and Clark enter a kissing contest. What more do you need to know?
Not much--sounded like a great story and read it this spring...very good! After seeing you mention it, might have to read it again thumbsup

Laura smile
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/07/14 03:38 PM
As alluded to earlier, I ended up reading:

#2. It\'s a Super Life by Wendy Richards.
In this sequel to the author's "It Happened One (Super) Night," Lois and Clark get used to living together, and look forward to their wedding and to becoming parents.

Great story--really enjoyed it as a sequel, as I was wishing to know what had ended up happening where the previous story left off. Tied up loose ends wonderfully dance

Laura smile
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/10/14 07:53 PM
#3. Field of Dreams by Caroline K.
Lois goes through the events of the end of Season 1 without ever having met Clark. He's still in Borneo, and in the aftermath of the Fall of the House of Luthor, Lois flees Metropolis and finds love and healing in a tiny Smallville, Kansas farmhouse.

This was a repeat for me...I read this story last spring--in one late-night sitting--and really, really loved it. It's a story that stayed with me for a long while after I read it. A very good read, really touching character portrayals, and some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-L-Y wonderful comedic scenes. The parts that really made me laugh the first time, I enjoyed even more the second time. This would be one of my all-time favs clap !

Laura smile
The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler.
In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

This is a really long one, but it's one of my personal favourites. It's wonderfully well written, and both the A-plot and the B-plot are great.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/11/14 09:38 AM
Originally posted by NostalgiaKick:
In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

This is a really long one, but it's one of my personal favourites. It's wonderfully well written, and both the A-plot and the B-plot are great.
That's a good one. I really enjoyed it.
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/11/14 10:09 AM
NostalgiaKick posted:

I have been meaning to read this for a long time...hearing both of you say how good it is definitely puts it near the top of my ever-expanding 'to read' list dance

Thanks!
Laura
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/12/14 06:34 AM
All of the stories mentioned are wonderful and worthy reading. thumbsup Some more that I re-read time and again:

Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Doc. Klein's LabRat - The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

The Forgotten by Jenni Debbage - Lois and her children must face life without Clark and the world must face the future without a Superman when he goes missing in North Korea. Meanwhile, a man awakes in a prison cell and discovers he has no memories -- only hazy dreams of a beautiful woman in between frightening tests and pain. Will Clark be forgotten forever?

A Gift for Life by StopQuitDont and Jenni Debbage - When Clark is diagnosed with terminal cancer, Lois suggests a radical plan to save his life. But can their friendship survive the new challenges?

Nowhere to Run by ML Thompson - a satisfying resolution to the amnesia-Deter-arc.

Poison by Wendy Richards - The day after unknowingly drinking a Kryptonite-laced glass of wine, a feverish Clark staggers into the Daily Planet. A disgruntled Lois takes him back to his apartment and ends up taking care of him...

There\'s No Place Like Home by ML Thompson - From coworkers to partners to friends to lovers. But will it happen the same way every time? As Lois and Clark desperately try to find a way to correct the past, they discover there's a thin line between love and hate.

The Time Traveler\'s Wife by ML Thompson - A journalist who's missing in the Congo, a defective time travel machine and a lonely superhero results in an extraordinary adventure for alternate Clark. Will he obtain his heart's desire or will he destroy his world while endeavoring to do so?

When Friends Become Lovers and the sequel When Lovers Become More by Kathy Brown and Demi - Lois and Clark's relationship changes forever after an emotional night spent together. Following directly from the second season episode, "That Old Gang of Mine," this story follows the couple through breathtaking highs and devastating lows as they deal with the highly-charged issues only their romance could produce.

24 Hours by Wendy Richards - Lois Lane has been poisoned and she and Clark are running out of time to find the antidote. Will Lois live long enough to write her own obituary? The author has cranked up the angst-o-meter to 11 for our intrepid reporters.

50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S. - Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia?

Andreia cool
Posted By: Annie B. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/12/14 07:10 AM
I recently read:

1. Aurora Borealis , by KenJ

Lois and Clark have just been married and are preparing to leave on their honeymoon when they are interrupted and Lois is kidnapped. Who took her and where is a mystery that needs to be solved.

This is the first of KenJ's stories I've had a chance to read. It stars a favorite villain (I won't spoil who, but I recommend you read it).

2. Purgatory , by StopQuitDont

Betrayal and revenge set the stage for an experience our favorite couple will never forget. Will Lois and Clark be able to live through hell on earth and bring those responsible for their misery to justice?

This one is based on a classic novel and does it justice.

3. What Makes a Man? , by StopQuitDont

One horrifying experience causes Clark to rethink everything he's come to know about himself. Will he be able to overcome the obstacles facing him and find his way back to the only woman he's ever loved?

This is an excellent story, but not for the faint at heart.
Another really good one is Burden of Conscience by Raconteur. In a single moment, a hero is destroyed, a friendship is torn apart, and a partnership is broken. Clark has to struggle with the burdens that defeated a Superman and Lois learns that there's no way to save someone unless they want to be saved.

It deals with some fairly heavy duty issues and is a serious tearjerker. I recommend having some tissues handy while reading. That said, it's well-written and engaging and has been on my personal favourites list for a while now.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/14/14 02:33 PM
3. Goodnight Metropolis by Peabody.

Summary as given on the archive: They both want to wait up for Clark, but it's late, and Lois Lane Kent finds she must use all her skills in negotiation and misdirection to get her young daughter, Marta (who is just as talented in these areas), ready for bed. A charming "FoLC lullaby."

I agree with the summary's self-promoting last sentence. This is a sweet and charming story. If you want an A-plot or a steamy romance, look elsewhere, but if you are in the mood for a relaxing bedtime story, I would recommend this one.

4. A Guest from the Blue by Wendy Richards. The archives summary of this PG-13-rated story is, "With Lois away on an assignment, Clark is surprised when Lucy shows up on their doorstep. Sensing something is wrong, he invites her to stay, and in the process all three of them learn more about each other -- and themselves." Wendy handles a serious topic with great sensitivity. She also shows that Clark would make a terrific brother-in-law.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Christina Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/25/14 05:28 AM
I've been reading a LOT of stories lately in an attempt to figure out which ones I want to rec for the Fanfic discussions.

1)

And now I get to my most recent:

I'm in the midst of reading Strangers III: When Hearts Collide.

It's the third part to a series where Lois leaves Metropolis to escape from the humiliation of Claude. In the meantime, Clark becomes a solid reporter for the Daily Planet. When Lois returns to Metropolis and meets and befriends the Miracle Man. They're all very good (usually I don't have a lot of patience for multi-story series in an archive but this one has been keeping me entertained. It has me going laugh rotflol this last quarter of the third story in Missy Gallant's series.
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/25/14 09:41 AM
#4. Are You Lonesome Tonight...? by Doc. Klein's LabRat. The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

This is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile, and thanks to seeing it posted here by Ultra Woman, I finished it recently. Great, great story--I really enjoyed it whole-heartedly thumbsup )
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/25/14 10:41 AM
6. The Girl Next Door - Janet Owens - This month's FanFiction book of the month.

Apparently, I've read this before. thumbsup

7. Shane Terry's: Fugue II: Fusion -- Superman has returned, but Clark must deal with his sense of loss and a dangerous government conspiracy. Meanwhile, Lois heads for Metropolis, determined to take her destiny into her own hands.

This story is much darker than "Fugue". Life back in Metropolis is much harder as we learn why Lois went on the run in the first place. He kept me guessing who the big baddie was until the end. Very suspenseful.

#4. Are You Lonesome Tonight...? by Doc. Klein's LabRat. The threat of Nightfall looms over the world in this adaptation of the episode "All Shook Up." As time runs out, two people, alone and afraid, take solace in one another, try to find some shred of meaning in their lives ... and find that hope and love are shining constants in even the seemingly most disasterous of times.

This is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile, and thanks to seeing it posted here by Ultra Woman, I finished it recently. Great, great story--I really enjoyed it whole-heartedly thumbsup )
I have to agree, Laura. I know I've read that one more than once. Apparently, it takes more than once for a title to stick in my head. clap This is one of my favorite reveals.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/25/14 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Christina:
I've been reading a LOT of stories lately in an attempt to figure out which ones I want to rec for the Fanfic discussions.

1)

And now I get to my most recent:
Um.... Christina? Did you forget something in your post?
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 02/25/14 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Nowhere to Run by ML Thompson - a satisfying resolution to the amnesia-Deter-arc.
I read this one last fall. ("Finally!" says Michael, who has been recommending it to me for YEARS) Excellent story, but then again, I've never been disappointed by MLT.

The Time Traveler\'s Wife by ML Thompson - A journalist who's missing in the Congo, a defective time travel machine and a lonely superhero results in an extraordinary adventure for alternate Clark. Will he obtain his heart's desire or will he destroy his world while endeavoring to do so?
I've said this before and I'll never stop giving it a plug. This is the story which made me start to read and write FanFiction. notworthy As they say, you never forget your first. wink
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/01/14 11:08 AM
#5. Midnight Gambit by ML Thompson. Lois is given three choices on the eve before her wedding to Luthor. Will she accept one of the choices offered, or will she make a different decision entirely?

Loved, loved, loved! This was a great read--that I started last night and finished this morning. The first story by ML Thompson that I have read--definitely will be reading more in the near future clap

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/01/14 03:10 PM
#5. Midnight Gambit by ML Thompson. Lois is given three choices on the eve before her wedding to Luthor. Will she accept one of the choices offered, or will she make a different decision entirely?

Loved, loved, loved! This was a great read--that I started last night and finished this morning. The first story by ML Thompson that I have read--definitely will be reading more in the near future clap

Laura
Ooooh. I haven't read that one yet. /Adds to list. Oh, Look! All of MLT's stories are already on it. Need extra 10 hours in the day. wallbash /
Lois\' Story by Carol M
There really should be a kidnapper's handbook. And it really should say, "Never kidnap Lois Lane." An amusing tale about a dumb kidnapper who never read the book and a feisty reporter who's about to make him sorry for the oversight.

I've read this one a few times now. Whenever I come across it while randomly looking through the archive I have to read it again. This brief story about a not-so-bright kidnapper is a fun way to spend a couple minutes.

Magic 8-Ball by JDG
Just how accurate is a magic 8-ball?

I came across this one while randomly looking through the archive and decided to read it. This was a cute little story about Lois playing with a Magic 8-Ball.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/03/14 10:03 PM
8. 50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S.: Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia? (Inspired by the concept of "50 First Dates") A multiauthored story by Matrix and Sue S.

Okay, I couldn't wait until the end of the month to see if this would be picked up by the fanfiction reader\'s club . I'm glad I didn't. Now, I'm itching to discuss it. /dinner? That doesn't have to be cooked and served *before* the kids' bedtime, right?/ [Linked Image] Let's just say these writers picked the exact perfect moment to give Lois selective amnesia. notworthy
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]8. 50 First Revelations by Matrix and Sue S.: Lois wakes up one morning having memory problems. Is she merely trying to block out a painful experience or is something else behind her mysterious amnesia? (Inspired by the concept of "50 First Dates") A multiauthored story by Matrix and Sue S.

Okay, I couldn't wait until the end of the month to see if this would be picked up by the fanfiction reader\'s club . I'm glad I didn't. Now, I'm itching to discuss it. /dinner? That doesn't have to be cooked and served *before* the kids' bedtime, right?/ [Linked Image] Let's just say these writers picked the exact perfect moment to give Lois selective amnesia. notworthy [/b]
That is a good story. I read it years ago, in 2008. I've been thinking about rereading it for weeks now. I have been trying to be patient and waiting to see if it would be picked as one of the monthly stories, but I might just go ahead and reread it anyway, because I do really enjoy that story. smile
Posted By: Christina Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/04/14 06:10 AM
Virginia,

peep blush

I meant to write something about the first two in the Strangers series (as well at their links). I've read a TON of other stories but I'm only putting this one up because it's doubtful we'd get to the particular story that I really enjoyed.

1) Strangers by Missy Gallant

2) Strangers II: Becoming Partners by Missy Gallant This is in reference to Kal/Jerome (his "stranger" name for himself as he knows about his history BEFORE becoming Superman in this version) and Lois becoming friends and Lois suggesting something about getting the Superman suit.

3) Strangers III: When Two Hearts Collide This one's the hilarious one. They can't avoid being affected by each other given Lois's history (which didn't make her face the issue of Claude head-on like she would have to become "Mad Dog Lane" and thus allowed her to fall directly for one Clark Kent so hilariously badly...in a good way.)

4) Strangers IV: Tender Mercies Clark Kent (not Superman as Clark is affected by Kryptonite for the first time) saves Lois from Luthor and his thugs. This also results in his arrest and their first story together (for a LONG time).

5)
Strangers V: Kissing Friends In this one, Lois is now definitely living up to her moniker "Mad Dog Lane" (especially with Clark). The friendship is built and maintained from the Kal/Superman side and not at all the Clark side. One day their nominated for a Kerth for their first story together. That breaks the ice and by the end of the story Lois finds out that Clark is Kal/Superman and they love each other.
One that I've just finished re-reading is Green Card by Wendy Richards. Superman has just told Lois Lane that he's from another planet. Unfortunately for Clark, there is a government agency which is quite interested in that information... the INS!

I really enjoyed her take on the whole 'illegal alien' thing in this story. I do generally enjoy her stories, but this is one of my favourites.
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/04/14 03:55 PM
#6. Yellow Fever written by M.L. Thompson. Kryptonite is the only substance which can kill Clark. So why is Lois -- his wife! -- using it against him? Find out why in this dramatic tearjerker.

I just finished this one during lunch today--which I started the day before during my lunch (and which I stayed up reading last night till about 2:00 am blush ). Obviously, a very interesting premise--had me quite curious as to how it would end. Very enjoyable story! laugh

Happy reading,
Laura smile
(and which I stayed up reading last night till about 2:00 am blush )
That's not so bad. I started rereading 50 First Revelations around 1:00 AM and stayed up reading the whole story until just a few minutes before 8:00. blush
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/04/14 07:12 PM
Wow--you definitely got me beat laugh ....have not read that one yet, Lady Loisette, have to give it a try sometime!

Laura
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/07/14 10:05 AM
9. A Lois and Clark Fairy Tale: Loispunzel and the Prince by Doc. Klein's LabRat (aka LabRat): A little piece of fairy tale fluff in response to Meredith Knight's 'Write a Lois and Clark fairy tale' challenge on Zoom's messageboards. What's a kingly father to do when his feisty princess daughter has no husband and an evil advisor has designs of his own?

This was quite unlike any fairy tale I've ever read. lol
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/08/14 10:52 AM
5. Single White Kryptonian by Shayne T. The blurb for this story on the archive is, "In a world without Lana, Alt-Clark's history is different. He meets the woman of his dreams through a personal ad, never dreaming that he and Lois Lane will soon be partners. Their first case takes him to the last place that he wants to be -- a Smallville that holds the secrets to his past, secrets that he has been running from for ten years."

Given the title, one might think that this is a light, B-plot type story, and there is definitely a lot of WAFF in it, but there is also quite a bit of A-plot action and serious drama as well.
I give this story a thumbsup .

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/08/14 01:25 PM
10. Epiphany by LabRat: Having discovered new depths to her partner at the Corn Festival, Lois begins to wonder just what she might be missing in this reworking of the episode "Green, Green Glow of Home." How might events have progressed if she'd been a little more in touch with her feelings...and desires?

HOT! and it was only the Gfic version. [Linked Image] Lois is so thumbsup

Question, LabRat, did you ever write a sequel exploring what happened later on the episode and how that might have changed?
Posted By: LabRat Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/09/14 08:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Virginia. smile1 Glad you enjoyed it. It was certainly a fun one to write!

I was never one for writing sequels generally. I only really thought about sequels for two of my stories - Burnout (Second Degree Burns ) and Masques. I still have files of notes/half-written scenes on both of those somewhere on my hard drive.

But, no, I never considered a sequel for Epiphany. If anyone out there wants to use it a springboard though to explore further, they have my blessing!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/09/14 11:42 AM
6. Superman\'s Shower by Carol M. is a short, sweet, WAFFy, light, fun revelation story. If you wish something you can read in a few minutes and walk away from smiling, then read this story.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 03/23/14 11:21 PM
11-12. BJ's "Master of Disguise" and "Wasted Revelations" for this month's FanFic reader's club.

13. Wendy Richard's Green Card : Superman has just told Lois Lane that he's from another planet. Unfortunately for Clark, there is a government agency which is quite interested in that information... the INS!

Wow! What an interesting take on S1. clap I have to say, though, I did have one problem with Wendy Richard's writing. I couldn't sleep, eat, write, or participate in RL because I was so absorbed in her story, I didn't want to put it down. Now that I've finished the story, my life feels so empty. (okay, maybe two things...)

Thanks for the recommendation NostalgiaKick.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 04/06/14 10:29 AM
7. A Special Child was written by Pam Jernigan. Lois and Clark must come to terms with having a child with special needs. Pam is the mother of a child with autism, and it shows in her writing. As the mother of a child on the spectrum myself, I can vouch for the verisimilitude of the story. The emotions Lois and Clark experience and how they act upon them are very typical of what many parents in real life go through when they first suspect that their children might be different and when they actually learn of their children's official diagnoses.

The story was obviously designed to educate as well as to entertain. I commend Pam on her successful accomplishment of both tasks, and I would highly recommend this story.

Joy,
Lynn
One of my favorites is Good Samaritan by Aria. It's told from the POV of the air traffic controller. As she wrote, "But the snippet that sparked my interest was some introspection that involved Clark wondering what air traffic controllers must think of Superman zipping around through their airspace unannounced." Don't miss this one.

I also love Through The Window by CC Aiken, where Lois is taken into an alternate world. What will Clark do? Also, don't miss the sequel, And Back Again .
Posted By: LMA Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/03/14 07:13 AM
#7. The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler. In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

Wow--this was amazing! I've been slowly reading it later into the evenings...and really, loved every moment of it. So much warmth, written so well. Great characterizations. I can definitely see why so many folcs love it. Officially one of my all-time favorites clap

Laura

Posted By: Mike M Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/03/14 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
10. Epiphany by LabRat: Having discovered new depths to her partner at the Corn Festival, Lois begins to wonder just what she might be missing in this reworking of the episode "Green, Green Glow of Home." How might events have progressed if she'd been a little more in touch with her feelings...and desires?

Question, LabRat, did you ever write a sequel exploring what happened later on the episode and how that might have changed?

Virgina,

One of my favorite stories. The part I loved the most and was the most telling in the L&C canon was:

"Hey," he said quietly, sounding concerned. "You okay?"

She nodded. But she knew that she had grown tense in his
embrace and that he must surely feel it. She could hear the
beating of his heart against her cheek, solemn and steady. His
arms tightened around her. He laid his forehead against her
hair. "Don't go," he whispered.

She raised her head to look at him, startled. There had been
fear in those words. "Go?" she said, confused.

He shook his head and in his eyes she saw such depth of
emotion, such love, such terror, such desperate longing, that
it almost broke her heart. "Clark," she said sitting up to view
him better. "What's wrong?"

"I can feel you going," he said. He put up a hand to her cheek,
his palm warm against her skin, before he slid it deep into her
hair. His eyes were somber. "Moving away from me. Leaving
me...."

What was in his eyes....

The revelation was so startling, so profound and all-
encompassing, so *clear* to her all at once that it seared the
breath from her.

She could hurt him, too.

Neither of them had power, one over the other, she suddenly
understood. They both had the capacity to hurt, to wound....

Or to love.

It was their choice.

The passage really 'got it' for me and to me was the true epiphany. And the nFic version was even hotter!!

Mike
Posted By: Kismatt Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/04/14 07:36 AM
I'm gonna jump in here.

Since I read a lot, and usually in a very short time, I've already forgotten what I've read so far this year, so I'll start out with these two:

1. City by the Sea by StopQuitDont

Lois has lost her hero, her best friend, and the man she loved... only coming to that realization a little too late. Will she learn to live again despite her loneliness or will she find new direction and purpose in a city by the sea? (This fic also comes in a nice spicy nFic varietal available on www.nfanfic.net.)

2. And Then There Was Light by Anti-Kryptonite

Thinking he was responsible for the heat-wave, Superman left, taking Clark with him. Now, two months later, Lois is still struggling to move on alone without both men, a feat made harder when she's kidnapped by Luthor and thrown in a cell with...Clark?

Posted By: Female Hawk Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/04/14 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Kismatt
I'm gonna jump in here.

Since I read a lot, and usually in a very short time, I've already forgotten what I've read so far this year, so I'll start out with these two:

Lois has lost her hero, her best friend, and the man she loved... only coming to that realization a little too late. Will she learn to live again despite her loneliness or will she find new direction and purpose in a city by the sea? (This fic also comes in a nice spicy nFic varietal available on www.nfanfic.net.)

Thinking he was responsible for the heat-wave, Superman left, taking Clark with him. Now, two months later, Lois is still struggling to move on alone without both men, a feat made harder when she's kidnapped by Luthor and thrown in a cell with...Clark?

Both great stories, Kismatt!

I loved CBTS - from the title to 'The End'. And ATTWL is pure Anti-K!

Corrina.
Oh wow, I just finished those two stories too, Kismatt. Really enjoyed them both smile

I'm partway through Master of Disguise by BJ at the moment. An Elseworld tale. If Clark Kent never arrives in Metropolis and Lois Lane marries Lex Luthor, what will happen when Lois starts to suspect her husband's true nature? And without Lois, will Clark ever create his super disguise?

Thoroughly enjoying it so far. It's written from Lois' POV, which is interesting. I haven't come across a lot of stories on the archive that are written in the first person.

Feli
Posted By: Mike M Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/06/14 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kismatt
I'm gonna jump in here.

I liked CBTS and will have to read ATTWL. Two more of my favorites are a two parter by Deadley Chakram

Nobody's Hero
and
Just a Man

Loved the journey from depths of despair to redemption and the challenges along the way.

Mike
One of my favorites is Shayne Terry's Veritas. Clark comes to our universe - yes, our actual world, where Superman is just a comic book character. What will people (e.g, especially the military) do when the actual Superman is here? Set in our 2008.

Clark is hanging out in a bar while he tries to figure out what's going on:

"She's a real looker," the first man said. "Probably would have
made anchor already if it wasn't for her name."

"Her name?"

"Lois Lane. The networks didn't think anyone would take the news
serious
ly if it was delivered by a comic book character."

At Clark's look of incomprehension, the man leaned forward and
said, "Lois Lane. You know ... Lois Lane ... Superman?"

Clark shrugged. "I don't follow the comics."

His own life was fantastic enough that he had no need for
fantastic tales. Also, when he'd been old enough to want comics,
his foster parents hadn't wanted to spend the money.

"Four major movies, three or four television series ... guy in a
blue suit and a red cape? None of it ring a bell?"

Clark shook his head.

"Super strong, he flies, pretends to be a mild mannered reporter
during the day, grew up in Smallville?"

Frozen, Clark said, "My parents didn't let me read comic books."

Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 05/31/14 11:20 PM
8. Something the Cat Dragged In by CC Aiken is a short, fun read. Lois breaks into Clark's apartment to examine Superman's globe to try to learn more about her favourite hero. And she learns a lot more than she had anticipated. If you're in the mood for a fluffy piece sure to make you smile, give this story a try.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Mike M Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 06/01/14 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by VirginiaR

I loved this scene where Lois is beginning to question what she had done and was distancing herself.

Lois closed her eyes, what was welling up in her suddenly
almost too much to bear. She buried her head against his
shoulder, trying to maintain some kind of decorum. It wouldn't
do to let this man know just how much he had affected her, just
how much she had realized she cared for him.

He could hurt her.

The ways that he could hurt her, how badly he could, seeded ice
in her stomach all at once. There was a part of her that knew
that she could trust him utterly, that her heart was safe with
him, that he never would. But the distrust that had been bred
in her over years and through bitter knowledge of his gender,
was hard to let go of, hard to shed, no matter what her heart
told her. The strength of emotions that this man resonated in
her frightened her a little.

He stroked a hand through her hair, lifting his head, jolting
her out of her darkening thoughts.

"Hey," he said quietly, sounding concerned. "You okay?"

She nodded. But she knew that she had grown tense in his
embrace and that he must surely feel it. She could hear the
beating of his heart against her cheek, solemn and steady. His
arms tightened around her. He laid his forehead against her
hair. "Don't go," he whispered.

She raised her head to look at him, startled. There had been
fear in those words. "Go?" she said, confused.

He shook his head and in his eyes she saw such depth of
emotion, such love, such terror, such desperate longing, that
it almost broke her heart. "Clark," she said sitting up to view
him better. "What's wrong?"

"I can feel you going," he said. He put up a hand to her cheek,
his palm warm against her skin, before he slid it deep into her
hair. His eyes were somber. "Moving away from me. Leaving
me...."

What was in his eyes....

The revelation was so startling, so profound and all-
encompassing, so *clear* to her all at once that it seared the
breath from her.

She could hurt him, too.

Neither of them had power, one over the other, she suddenly
understood. They both had the capacity to hurt, to wound....

Or to love.

It was their choice.

That to me was the true Epiphany of the story.

Mike
I just finished reading Chris Carr's An Extraordinary Man Clark "CJ" Kent graduated from Harvard Law School full of hope and optimism. However, his idealism has been eroded by the ravages of life in Metropolis. Just as he reaches the crisis point, wanting nothing more than to run away from his troubles, fate, in the form of H G Wells, offers CJ a way out. But when CJ learns that he holds the fate of his world in his hands, he is forced to confront the question: does he have what it takes to be a hero?

I really enjoyed this. It's an alternate dimensions story; the alternate Metropolis has a darker feel to it, and the storyline is wonderful. Definitely recommend this and it's sequel, An Extraordinary Man 2- Trials and Triumphs
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 06/12/14 01:12 AM
9) Without a Superman (Clark Kent's Quest)

10) Without a Superman (Lois Lane's Quest)

11) Without a Superman (Superman's Quest)

Three stories. Three universes (canon, alt-canon, and non-canon). Three pairs of our favourite couple. These stories live up to ML Thompson's reputation. (If you are new to the MB and haven't read any of her writing -- run, don't walk, to the archives and do so now.) It takes an author of her calibre to write such complex stories in a way that doesn't leave the audience confused. She has managed to do just this.

Although the trilogy wrapped up the potential loose ends, I hadn't wanted to leave her worlds, especially her non-canon Lois and Clark.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Kismatt Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 06/18/14 06:14 AM
Let's see.

3. Accused by Female Hawk
Clark is facing a serious accusation, and he has no way to refute it without revealing the big secret. Just when everything looks lost, Lois steps in ...

I really liked this story. Not the deaths in it, but the emotions that Clark has throughout just were spot on.

4. Trusting Me, Trusting You by Female Hawk
Clark Kent has been trapped in a cell for seven years. Government agent Lois Lane is tormented by grief and traumatic memories. She is assigned to guard the alien prisoner, and together, Lois and Clark find the strength to travel the long journey to healing, trust, love, and freedom.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this - but boy am I glad I did! Wow. I think I've re-read this at least three times now. Excellent story, and deservedly a Kerth winner.

5. Cause and Effect by M.L. Thompson

When Clark and Lois meet up four years prior to their initial meeting at the Daily Planet, sparks fly. Will Lois' distrust in Clark ruin a great relationship, or will terrorists destroy them before they even get started?

Action, adventure, and romance? I'll take all three!
Above Alt Else by SunRei
An alternate universe retelling of the fateful meeting between Clark Kent and Lois Lane. The tale begins the day they meet at the Daily Planet and how fate, flight, and fancy shape how they grow from there. If you think you know the secret, think again...

I read this story years ago and had wanted to read it again for a long time, but I couldn't remember the title. I finally found the story I was looking for and re-read it recently. Re-reading it I was reminded of why I enjoyed it so much the first time I read it. It's a great story. smile
Posted By: KenJ Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 10/22/14 03:27 PM
I just happened onto this list. dance

Some of these titles I have in mobi and epub formats, notably the two titles by Female Hawk, Corrina. wave

I have downloaded all of the titles listed and now have M.L. Thompson's Without a Superman trilogy compiled as a single file which I will be prepping as an e-book. clap

I have Missy Gallant's Stranger Pentology compiled and will produce an e-book of it in that form as well. evil

I will also be converting each of the other titles. love Some of the shorter stories I may compile into anthologies.

Anyone interested in having these in e-book format, simply send me an e-mail and I will send it to you as soon as they are ready. party

Caveat - Due to the sheer volume, it will take some time to produce all of these files. Some of them I have already done some work on, but most are in raw txt form and will require some work.

I will be adding a book cover and some other graphics. evil
Posted By: KenJ Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 10/24/14 10:32 PM
I've started prepping the first book.

Each book will run approximately 1000 pages.

The first book will consist of the following:

24 Hours
50 First revelations
Above Alt Else
Accused
and
An Extraordinary Man.
Posted By: KenJ Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 11/02/14 01:44 AM
At this point I have compiled 3 volumes which are comprised of about 15 stories. Each runs to about 1000 pages. I have not converted them to epub or mobi as yet since I have had no requests. Even if no one else wants them they will wind up on my Kindle.
Posted By: Mike M Re: Fanfic 50-book-challenge type thread - 11/02/14 02:09 AM
Me! Me! Me!

Seriously, many of them are in the .mobi format but having them altogether would be nice to be able to jump around reading.

Thanks

Mike
Now that the Kerths are over I've started reading some older fics again. Recently I've read:

A Shot in the Dark by Sheila Harper
Lois and Clark have been married for a few months, but marriage certainly hasn't cooled the passion between them. As they discuss their plans for a weekend together, a shocking interruption occurs that will change their lives forever, and it takes all the love and determination and creativity they possess (as well as some helpful suggestions from their mothers) to put their lives back together. Be warned: The story starts with a serious WHAM, and the resolution of the A plot contains a little bit of violence (a very little bit).

I read this story years ago and enjoyed it, so I decided to reread it.

Backwards by CarolM
In a world where it seems everything is backwards, some things remain the same.

This was a fun little story featuring the meeting of Clark Lane & Lois Kent
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards