Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I was thinking... Would anyone be interested in a thread here comparable to the "50 Book Challenge" thread in the Off Topic folder? I thought we might share whatever older fanfic we have just finished reading with the group. The description could include a link to the TOC on this site or to the story on the archive, along with a brief description of the story. (Said description might simply be the summaries used in the archive.) The description could also include the reader's (non-spoiler) thoughts or opinions on the story.

An example:
I am currently reading M.L. Thompson's Blind Superman\'s Bluff . The archive teaser for this story is, "What might have happened if Superman's eyesight hadn't been restored in the episode "The Eyes Have It" -- leaving Lois and Clark to grapple with a new set of realities?"

I am very much enjoying this story. Although there are small amounts of A-plot in it, it is primarily a B-plot driven story. The author is quite adept in her handling of both dialog and emotions. She has an enviable ability to make even the most mundane scenes fascinating. Based on what I have read of the story so far, I would highly recommend it.

---

I would suggest only including in this thread stories that were fully posted a minimum of, say, half a year ago, on the assumption that people interested in the more current stories would be more likely simply to look at the recent FDK threads.

So, what do you think?

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
An example:
I am currently reading M.L. Thompson's Blind Superman\'s Bluff . The archive teaser for this story is, "What might have happened if Superman's eyesight hadn't been restored in the episode "The Eyes Have It" -- leaving Lois and Clark to grapple with a new set of realities?"

I am very much enjoying this story. Although there are small amounts of A-plot in it, it is primarily a B-plot driven story. The author is quite adept in her handling of both dialog and emotions. She has an enviable ability to make even the most mundane scenes fascinating. Based on what I have read of the story so far, I would highly recommend it.
Lynn, I really enjoyed that one too. laugh thumbsup

The most recent Archive stories I read are this month's LnC FanFiction Reader\'s Club stories :

1. Lucy Lane is Coming to Town... by Nicole Sullivan. Lucy Lane is coming to spend Christmas with Lois, but she still needs to find her sister the perfect gift. Can that perfect gift be something money can't buy...like someone tall, dark, and handsome?

thumbsup

and

2. The Story of Kal-El and his Concubines by Saskia
Lois saves the day in this reworking of a certain few scenes from our favourite show.

I have to say that description doesn't really cut it. Let's just say it's different twist on the ending of the NK arc.

So many good sounding ones have been recommended on February\'s list I'll probably end up reading ahead. (That, and I promised my hubby that I'd try to be IN BED before midnight every night. Reading on my Nook counts, right? wink )

BTW, I think this is an excellent idea, Lynn, because I 99/100 read from the Archives and LnC Message boards (at least, when reading for myself) as opposed to for-profit books. clap Does this work, or do you only want novel length stories mentioned?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for helping to get the ball rolling, Virginia.

Does this work, or do you only want novel length stories mentioned?
I would say that any length story would work here. After all, the idea is to share with others some older gems. I see this thread as complementary to the "book/vignette of the month" threads -- those threads may have many people discussing two stories a month with the stories chosen by majority vote; I am hoping that this thread will have a lot of stories mentioned by people who have decided on their own to read whatever has struck their fancy.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What a terrific idea, Lynn. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I read that one just last week. I wrote a similarly-themed story for another fandom years ago and am currently working on a sequel for it, so I was curious about it when I came across it while looking for something to read. I enjoyed it and ended up staying up all night reading it from beginning to end.

Another old story I recently read is one I read years ago that popped into my mind, so I had to read it again.

Pretty, Pretty Clark by Laura S.
"On a routine trip to Smallville, Lois and Clark have some adventures in babysitting and find out some rather remarkable things about their own feelings toward one another. Ficathon fic."

The story is both cute and amusing. There is one moment in particular that I just had to reread the story for, but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the story yet.

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Pretty, Pretty Clark by Laura S.
Thanks, L.L. I've just added that to my (already very large but always room for more) "to read" list.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn--what an excellent idea! dance ...

Looking forward to this thread--thanks!
Laura smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
3. Thomas Mc's Birthday Surprise - On a boring Tuesday evening Kristen has to spend her birthday working by herself at the music store. Then the most popular boy on campus comes into the store and things take a very unusual turn.

Although this story was posted to the Archives in 2013, I thought I'd give it a shout out, since it didn't post to the boards.

Interesting look at Lois and Clark having to deal with their teenage son (Superboy) and keeping the family secret from the POV of the above-referenced Kristen (not part of the Kent family). Well written and hard to put down /just ask my kids who ate frozen pizza at 7pm last night. blush /

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
4. Super Stud by M.L. Thompson: When Clark is affected by a powerful, mind-altering drug, Lois has to protect and defend his reputation while trying to come to terms with some startling discoveries herself.

Must remind myself that MLT's stories are highly addictive and difficult to set down, even when dinner time is passing and the kitchen is still cold. She has a way of capturing Clark's innate sweetness, which I envy as a writer and love as a Reader. I loved her unique and creative way she made Clark receptive to Revenge.

I read the Gfic version of this story, even though I've heard the Nfic version is scorching hot... but I couldn't find that version. This Gfic version was hot enough to let my imagination fill in the blanks, though. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I read the Gfic version of this story, even though I've heard the Nfic version is scorching hot... but I couldn't find that version.
Virginia, the Nfic version is on Annesplace. It's really worthy reading. wink drool

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
1. It Happened One (Super) Night by Wendy Richards.
What if Superman hadn't crashed in Suicide Slum in the episode "All Shook Up"? What if he managed to reach Lois's apartment instead? This seemingly minor change in continuity results in some very major changes in Lois and Clark's lives.

Great story--creative idea! Had me up till after 1:00 am the last two nights seeing how it would end smile
(And woo-hoo! As connecting the URL for this post, I discovered that there is a sequel clap

Laura

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by LMA:
What if Superman hadn't crashed in Suicide Slum in the episode "All Shook Up"? What if he managed to reach Lois's apartment instead? This seemingly minor change in continuity results in some very major changes in Lois and Clark's lives.
That sounds like a good one, Laura. I'll have to check it out.

5. Shane Terry's Fugue : As the world mourns the apparent loss of Superman, a mysterious drifter tries to make sense of his shattered memory, sudden flashes of superhuman power and the images of a dark-haired woman that haunt his dreams.

Alt-Clark after Nightfall. drool Off to read the sequel: Fugue II.

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
2. Getting Even is a challenge story started by Wendy Richards and finished by Tank Wilson. The blurb on lcfanfic for this story describes the story thusly: Clark Kent's worst nightmare is sitting outside his front door, waiting to be read. Bending to pick up his morning paper, he realizes Lois Lane just wrote the scoop of the century -- and he's the subject.

The T&W challenges are always fun. One writes the first part of the story and ends with a near-insurmountable cliff-hanger. (The beginning author must have in mind at least one possible ending for the story, so the stories aren't actually Kobayashi Marus.)

Kudos to Wendy for terrific setup for the story and to Tank for his creative solution.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by LMA:

Originally posted by Virginia:
That sounds like a good one, Laura. I'll have to check it out.
You should--AMAZING how this one little switch-er-oo changes EVERYTHING! (and so far, really liking the sequel, too clap )

Happy reading everyone,
Laura

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I seem to be into rereading stories I read years ago at the moment. This time I reread:

The Kiss Off by CC Aiken and Erin Klingler
Lois needs a new car! And fast. How far will she go to get one? Would she even agree to enter a kissing contest with...Clark? A multiauthored story by CC Aiken and Erin Klingler.

Lois and Clark enter a kissing contest. What more do you need to know? :p

"Who's asking? Clark... or Superman?"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lady Loisette posted:
Lois and Clark enter a kissing contest. What more do you need to know?
Not much--sounded like a great story and read it this spring...very good! After seeing you mention it, might have to read it again thumbsup

Laura smile

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
As alluded to earlier, I ended up reading:

#2. It\'s a Super Life by Wendy Richards.
In this sequel to the author's "It Happened One (Super) Night," Lois and Clark get used to living together, and look forward to their wedding and to becoming parents.

Great story--really enjoyed it as a sequel, as I was wishing to know what had ended up happening where the previous story left off. Tied up loose ends wonderfully dance

Laura smile

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
#3. Field of Dreams by Caroline K.
Lois goes through the events of the end of Season 1 without ever having met Clark. He's still in Borneo, and in the aftermath of the Fall of the House of Luthor, Lois flees Metropolis and finds love and healing in a tiny Smallville, Kansas farmhouse.

This was a repeat for me...I read this story last spring--in one late-night sitting--and really, really loved it. It's a story that stayed with me for a long while after I read it. A very good read, really touching character portrayals, and some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-L-Y wonderful comedic scenes. The parts that really made me laugh the first time, I enjoyed even more the second time. This would be one of my all-time favs clap !

Laura smile

N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler.
In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

This is a really long one, but it's one of my personal favourites. It's wonderfully well written, and both the A-plot and the B-plot are great.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by NostalgiaKick:
The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler.
In this Elseworlds story, two reporters on opposite coasts are seeking something to fill the void in their lives. Fate draws them together, but their happiness -- and their lives -- are soon threatened when a bicoastal investigation leads them to a formidable enemy. Will their tender new relationship be able to weather the storms ahead?

This is a really long one, but it's one of my personal favourites. It's wonderfully well written, and both the A-plot and the B-plot are great.
That's a good one. I really enjoyed it.

VirginiaR.
---
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard